1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Looking for H & R year of manufacture

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gunship, Jan 25, 2012.

1. gunship

gunship Member

I have a hammerless H&R, top break, 5 shot in blue with white plastic checkered grips. I was hoping someone could identify this pistol for year of manufacture. It has a 3 inch barrel with the name Harrington and Richardson Arms Co, Worcester, Massachusetts, U.S.A. Left side of the barrel .32 S&W CTGE. Serial number is located inside the front strap near the bottom 2748XX. Cylinder stamped 8XX. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I cant help you much other than to tell you it was mfg. before 1940. I'm sure someone will/can answer your questions soon.
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Gunship,
    You have a 2nd Model SMALL FRAME HAMMERLESS 7th Variation. ID derives from: the state name is spelled out and the grip frame has no step down with radius cut at the top, the grip panels sit on top of the frame. made between 1925 and 1942. It was made to handle .32 S&W (the short one) SMOKELESS/NITRO powder loads, 5 of them at a time. On my rather lousy monitor - it looks as though your gun may have been reblued at one time - the color of the trigger doesn't look correct. The grips are not original to the gun.
    Value - on that piece is difficult to determine.
  4. gunship

gunship Member

Thanks Jim,
    That information is great. I could never get the year. It must be your moniter as the pistol does not appear to be re-blued. I am very surprised that the grips are not original to the gun. Again thank you very much for your expert opinion.
    Bill