looking for history on my BSA?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by oneidapj, Sep 3, 2012.

1. oneidapj

oneidapj New Member

I bought this rifle years ago and have never been able to find out anything about it.
    I am interested in some of it's history-- 1) the year it was made roughly 2) what all the stamps on this thing are all about, holy cow, they are everywhere.
    I kind of think this rifle was shot quite a bit because after a few rounds go through it, the bullets scatter all over, maybe worn out. It is still good for the first 3 or so rounds.

I have 5 more pics of a bunch of weird stamps but the first 4 are
    1)over-all pic
    2)stamp on the safety
    3)H 13442 on the right side under the scope mount
    4)top of the bolt handle

Dennis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  2. oneidapj

oneidapj New Member

1) right hand veiw
    2) made in england on right side of receiver
    3) front of receiver on top, looks like a belt and stamped inside is B.S.A., some of it covered by the rear scope mount
    4) left side of barrel and receiver

Attached Files:

3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

1954 BSA Royal Featherweight nice rifles when new only one better was the Royal Monarch

the stamp on the safety denotes it as a royal featherweight
  4. oneidapj

oneidapj New Member

I have one more pic.
    I took the stock off and this stamped under the forward end of the receiver.

There are more stamps on this thing--

under the bolt handle is H 13442
    just behind the bolt handle is stamped the letter E
    on the right side of the rear of the firing pin gizzmo is stamped EN
    on the left side of it is stamped,, looks like the figure that is on the safety
    on the left side of the receiver, on the lower edge, forward is an R and looks like LH
    on the left hand side of the barrel under stamping of the length of the barrel, etc is some stamps--- + and 6 and 9 and what appears to be an x of swords with an A on the left and B on the right and maybe a 4 on the bottom
    on the little metal piece that is screwed on just behind the safety is stamped E
    on the base part of the lever for releasing the bolt out of the receiver is another E

I am thinking someone just got zooed and decided to decorate their iron.?

Any ideas? probably very commen, but I don't know.

Attached Files:

5. oneidapj

oneidapj New Member

Featherweight as in a light gun? It's pretty heavy.
    You say royal, so is it, was it military?
    Are all the stamps normal, or did someone add their own?
    Wow quick reply, thanks.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

no, its a Civil Rifle

should be about 7-8lbs the Monarch ( not royal ) in 30-06 was 9 and 1/2 lbs empty

some actions where mauser actions and some their own you think you's is crazy lookm at a early mauser rebuilds that had all these and the mauser marks

yes some places stamp for everything but that rifle is built for export so has everything on it

Royal line model had better wood and finish than standard but most had different forestocks than yours so thats got me confused ( stock looks ok except for the different forestock ending than normal but it may have been a custom order or aftermarket adjustment)

these where high end rifles for civilian use and international sales

BSA's are not noted for their lightness so whats heavy to you is light compared

sorry to hear its not shooting well and your diagnosis could be correct

but barrels are available if your so inclined
  7. oneidapj

oneidapj New Member

Great! Thanks Jack
    So do you think it is worth a new barrel or look for another rifle? I mainly use it just for hunting. One or two shots is all I have ever needed.
    Where would I look for another barrel?

A little more info on maybe why it is out of wack on the target....
    Stupid me ... not knowing or thinking... you see the gun came with a soft leather case lined with pile, sheep fur kind of stuff. Well, I got a job long haul trucking and the gun in the case got put in a shed of the guy I drove for a couple years. I had no need of a place to stay because I lived in the truck and all my stuff got stored. When I went to retreive it all I found the rifle all rust pitted and the pile all stuck to any metal. I cleaned it up the best I could. The bore, to my surprise looked not bad. Maybe I am all wrong. Maybe that is the reason for the scattered groups. And it seems to be gradually getting worse.
    Any thoughts?
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i'd take it to a decent smith and ask about that

ask him to inspect the crown and barrel guage the barrel decent smith should have guages for the 30-06

if the barrles ok but the crown is whacked then that can throw them off and save you the epence of a new barrel

but decent barrels dont run that much

storage is always a prep job .. and lambs wool i aint a fan of ..

sorry to hear eh ..
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That rifle was built (sporterized) in England, but it was built on a U.S. Model 1917 receiver, and appears to have the original .30-'06 barrel. The eagle head mark on the safety is a U.S. Army ordnance inspection stamp, and the E's stand for Eddystone.

Jim
  10. oneidapj

oneidapj New Member

wow, great thanks,,,, Eddystone? guess will have to google that.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

During WWI, British factories were tied up making the standard SMLE Mk III rifle, so the British government contracted to Remington and Winchester to make the new riifle, the Pattern 1914. The rifles were made by Winchester in New Haven, Remington at Ilion, and by a Remington-operated factory at Eddystone, PA. By the time those contracts were completed, the U.S. had entered the war, and the U.S. army asked those companies to modify the rifle to use the American .30-'06 cartridge; this was done and the rifle was adopted by the U.S. as the Model 1917. Over 2,300,000 were made at the three factories and in the end, more American troops were issued the Model 1917, which they called "the Enfield, than carried the American Model 1903 Springfield. After the war, the U.S. Army chose to stick with the M1903 and the M1917's were stored; many were sold to NRA members and over a million were shipped to England early in WWII.

Jim