Looking for home defense pistol

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Randy1944, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Randy1944

Randy1944 New Member

I am looking for a home defense auto pistol. My friends have suggested a Sig-Sauer P226ST .....40 cal. or a Glock. Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

either is a good choice. personally i would prefer the glock. you can get a used one from summit BRANDX . com i seem used glock 22 40calibers for 330 or less there. mags are 10 each from that guy. save some money and buy some more ammo.

for home defense though i wouldnt turn down a good solid revolver. you can leave it loaded forever and never even think about a spring getting weak. springs in some handguns get weaker over time from either over compression, fatigue or wear or bad metal composition
  3. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Listen to your friends. The P226 will be a much softer shooter than the Glock.

Both are great choices. Try and shoot both to see what you like best......
  4. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Glock mags are known to push mag springs past the limit. I have been down loading mine by one round for over 15 years now for Glock mags and the spring lfe is tripple what it was when I fully loaded them...
  5. johnlives4christ

really boris. thats good advise sir. i your opinion, would it hurt the mag to load it to capacity and then strip one off into the chamber. ie would over stressing it for just a minute hurt it as bad as over stressing it for long periods
  6. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Thats the way I do it. It has worked for 15 years for me since I been doing it with Glocks. The spares are all -1, never missed the rounds.....
  7. johnlives4christ

theres a lot of time i have carried 1 down in the gun. but i always carry my spares full. i dont know how long my springs will last because all my mags either have new springs or are new.

what is the rate you feel the need to replace your springs going fully loaded and 1 down?
  8. johnlives4christ

another gun i would suggest for you randy is a ruger p95 9mm. i had one a few years back and it was great. reliable and accurate
  9. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I kept a G17 magazine loaded for 6.5 years. The magazine spring still felt new after I shot it and reloaded it. Its not really a matter of time. I go by rounds. My Glocks are my serious guns so I change them out every 5K per magazine. I shoot all my mags an equal amount so I will change out the springs on my G37 at 50,000 rounds, or about 12 years at the pace I am at right now......

edit: oops, I mean 25,000 rounds, or about 6 years. they have 2 years on them right now and still feel very strong........
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  10. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Great suggestion. FWIW the army bought 5,000 P95s some years back. They were for the Rock Island arsenal. I pooped a little when I actualy seen one while working. Kinda cool if you ask me. I would rather have a P95 than a M9 anyday!!
  11. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

FWIW from a grumpy old man. I do not prefer a handgun for home defense. The possibility of the projectile from any decent pistol cartridge penetrating into other rooms of the residence and/or into an adjacent residence (in a high density area) is too high. A short barreled shotgun in 12 or 20 ga. would be my suggestion....and is my choice. Loaded with #6 shot in an inexpensive game load, and at across-the-room distances it will definitely do the job. Of course it isn't as classy as expounding on the virtues of your Glock, Sig, Ruger etc., to say you have a shotgun at your bedside, but it's less money spent, and really does what it's intended to do. JMHO Mike
  12. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

I went with FNP .45, it is a full size hangun holds 15 rounds and the recoil is not bad at all. Good advice on a shotgun, I have both, but with small children the shotgun is in a safe and the handgun in a pistol safe. The pistol safe I can get to quick and the shotgun is there for backup.
  13. Boris

Boris Former Guest

The shotgun has some cons to it too. The farthest I can shoot in my house is 12 yards, it is also the most likey place I would take a shot. My pattern in my shotgun is about 12" at that distance. So I would have 225 .11" projectiles to fill 113 sqaure inches. Thats roughly 2 pellets per square inch. Depending on bones hit, clothing and amount of fat on the person, penetration of most them pellets will be limited to 3-5" at best.

Like anything else we all have got to think through what is best for our individual situation. I also find it alot easier to answer the door when I hear a knock when I am not expecting someone. Not so easy to do with a shotgun.

I keep both. If things get bad enough the shotgun will be sought after and it will not be flinging .11" projectiles.....
  14. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

My advice is a double action revolver like the Ruger GP100 loaded with Buffalo Bore LSWC-HP 38 Spl +P's. Simple to use, rugged, accurate and safe. Good luck.
  15. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Before you go with a 40 cal Glock...take one apart and look at the chamber wall thickness. Then make your own decision.

If you are absolutely set on a 40 then get the sig....or even an xd. Personally i do not get this whole 40 craze that people seem to be stuck on. The 45 is a much better round for home defense in my opinion.

mike
    gn
  16. johnlives4christ

i dont have a problem with the glock in 40 caliber. i dont think the chamber walls are too thin. they are thinner then some. but im sure glock uses the correct metal and proper heat treatment procedures
  17. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I am not a 40 fan either, but the Glock chamber walls are plenty thick for the 40. My G37 has some pretty thin chamber walls compared to other calibers, but it operates at a much lower pressure and SAAMI tested it all the way upto 35,000psi and it held together just fine. Thats the same psi 40 runs at.

The main problem is brass loded too many times or over loaded ammo and the large throated area in chambers to assist feeding the 40 cartridge. I have seen just as many other brands of pistols get blownout as Glocks have that were shot with dangerously loaded ammo or brass shot too many times.
  18. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    9mm dak.
  19. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

It's almost hard to go wrong with modern pistols. Even Taurus and some of the cheaper brands sell a decent pistol anymore. I think Sig's are very good pistols. I've got a S&W M&P 9mm that I absolutely love. I've put about 600 rounds through it in the last week, most of that was dirty, nasty lead reloads and the only hickup I had was a light primer strike on some cheap russian ammo. Your ammo selection will be just as important as your weapon decision is. I use CorBon DPX in my 9, and Gold Dot 185's in my .45's.
  20. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

I have to take a dodge in another direction here...

Get a Taurus Judge for Home Defense.

Revolvers are almost idiot-proof. Even a gurl can use one ;)
    (My wife will smack me later for that...LOL)

The Judge lets you use either .410 shotgun shells or .45 Long Colt,
    either of which will cause grevious bodily harm to bad guys.

Ribber Grip reduces felt recoil, and fits in almost anyone's hand.

Buckshot from a Judge solves a LOT of problems in a hallway/typical house/apt room.

Point & shoot...no tricky safties to forget about in the heat of the moment.

Cocking it will let the BG's know that it's time to tactically retreat...if they are dumb enough to
    keep coming after hearing that, it's their own fault (Darwin'ing Out).