Looking for home defense pistol

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Randy1944, Nov 18, 2010.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i dont have a problem with the glock in 40 caliber. i dont think the chamber walls are too thin. they are thinner then some. but im sure glock uses the correct metal and proper heat treatment procedures
  2. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I am not a 40 fan either, but the Glock chamber walls are plenty thick for the 40. My G37 has some pretty thin chamber walls compared to other calibers, but it operates at a much lower pressure and SAAMI tested it all the way upto 35,000psi and it held together just fine. Thats the same psi 40 runs at.

The main problem is brass loded too many times or over loaded ammo and the large throated area in chambers to assist feeding the 40 cartridge. I have seen just as many other brands of pistols get blownout as Glocks have that were shot with dangerously loaded ammo or brass shot too many times.
  3. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    9mm dak.
  4. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

It's almost hard to go wrong with modern pistols. Even Taurus and some of the cheaper brands sell a decent pistol anymore. I think Sig's are very good pistols. I've got a S&W M&P 9mm that I absolutely love. I've put about 600 rounds through it in the last week, most of that was dirty, nasty lead reloads and the only hickup I had was a light primer strike on some cheap russian ammo. Your ammo selection will be just as important as your weapon decision is. I use CorBon DPX in my 9, and Gold Dot 185's in my .45's.
  5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I have to take a dodge in another direction here...

Get a Taurus Judge for Home Defense.

Revolvers are almost idiot-proof. Even a gurl can use one ;)
    (My wife will smack me later for that...LOL)

The Judge lets you use either .410 shotgun shells or .45 Long Colt,
    either of which will cause grevious bodily harm to bad guys.

Ribber Grip reduces felt recoil, and fits in almost anyone's hand.

Buckshot from a Judge solves a LOT of problems in a hallway/typical house/apt room.

Point & shoot...no tricky safties to forget about in the heat of the moment.

Cocking it will let the BG's know that it's time to tactically retreat...if they are dumb enough to
    keep coming after hearing that, it's their own fault (Darwin'ing Out).
  6. johnlives4christ

i wouldnt get a taurus personally. but thats a good suggestion. me, i'd go for a used glock.
  7. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I know alot of people with judges and they all love 'em. They all shoot great and serve their purpose well.
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Why not? No one else has anything like it on the market. I'm personally not a fan of the .410, but the Judge is definitely a viable home defense handgun, especially for someone who is not particularly experienced with handguns.

Have a bad Taurus experience?
  9. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Oh man, our first fight lol..... I love the 410. After years of destroying small game I planned on eating I found that the 410 does just enough killin with less holes and more meat in my belly. 25-30 yards is pushing it, but all my smallgame is take within that anyway. I have a snakecharmer with a 19" barrel that I can put slugs into a B27 target at 100 yards COM all day long. It shoots the Federal and Winchester OOO buck real good too. 3 years ago I got a Super Comanche pistol in 45LC and 410. Since most shotgunshells burn up all the powder in 10-14" and it has a 10" barrel, it hits hard for a pistol shotgun. The "choke" on it actually chokes the shot ontop of ending what little spin the slow twist puts on it. The twist is so slow it will not shoot anything over 225 without keyholes. From the offhand and Winchester 3" slugs I can take a deer.......... WT eff!! a deer?!, yep. At 40 yards from the offhand.

Its all good. I am not a fan of the 40, but it gets the job done. :p

The Judge does throw a wide pattern, but it aint made for hunting either. At the distance you would shoot at they do a heck of a number. I seen slugs fired from a 3" judge that got just over 1100fps. Not too bad at all if you ask me. Winchesters PDX1 45LC was made for that gun and it shoots better than any 45 from the Judge I have seen. From my SC it is one large hole at 25 with opensights. Great round for that gun and it is designed for it.

Oh and for the record. Even though I seen the judge do so good from others. I too would find it hard to buy another Tauri. I had two bad ones in the past. Still wont bash the Judge because of it. I gather I would be the unlucky one and get a bad one. I am probably the only person on earth to get 4 bad 10-22s in a row on the planet and everyone I know that has one, its the best 22 they ever bought....sigh......
  10. johnlives4christ

i aint got nothing against the 410. never had a taurus or a bad experience with them. but i've looked at some in stores and i didnt like them. everyone pretty much agrees that taurus quality is hit or miss. i dont wanna take the chance on a taurus just because something is "cool". the local gunsmith says their revolvers are fine. guess im not convinced yet
  11. theammobroker

theammobroker New Member

Regardless of what you end up with, be sure you either have laser sights or some type of glow-in-the-dark sights.
  12. hansom

hansom Former Guest

I do not recommend Glocks for beginers, they are great handguns but also very unforgiving.

As the othes have mentioned the Ruger P95 is a great home gun , the Sig is an outstanding gun but very costly, another gun you might want to look into is the FNP .40 with night sights, and if your wife or children will be using it too i recommend the Beretta 92 fs, simply the easiest full size gun to handle , even a todler can "rack the slide"
  13. johnlives4christ

dunno about glocks being unforgiving... i'd probably say that about all handguns. my opinion is that the safest and best home defense handgun is a single action revolver. but if a person is set on an auto there are many good ones.
  14. hansom

hansom Former Guest

I do not recommend Glocks for beginers, they are great handguns but also very unforgiving.

As the othes have mentioned the Ruger P95 is a great home gun , the Sig is an outstanding gun but very costly, another gun you might want to look into is the FNP .40 with night sights, and if your wife or children will be using it too i recommend the Beretta 92 fs, simply the easiest full size gun to handle , even a todler can "rack the slide"
  15. johnlives4christ

dunno about glocks being unforgiving... i'd probably say that about all handguns. my opinion is that the safest and best home defense handgun is a single action revolver. but if a person is set on an auto there are many good ones.