Looking for home defense pistol

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Randy1944, Nov 18, 2010.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i wouldnt get a taurus personally. but thats a good suggestion. me, i'd go for a used glock.
  2. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I know alot of people with judges and they all love 'em. They all shoot great and serve their purpose well.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Why not? No one else has anything like it on the market. I'm personally not a fan of the .410, but the Judge is definitely a viable home defense handgun, especially for someone who is not particularly experienced with handguns.

Have a bad Taurus experience?
  4. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Oh man, our first fight lol..... I love the 410. After years of destroying small game I planned on eating I found that the 410 does just enough killin with less holes and more meat in my belly. 25-30 yards is pushing it, but all my smallgame is take within that anyway. I have a snakecharmer with a 19" barrel that I can put slugs into a B27 target at 100 yards COM all day long. It shoots the Federal and Winchester OOO buck real good too. 3 years ago I got a Super Comanche pistol in 45LC and 410. Since most shotgunshells burn up all the powder in 10-14" and it has a 10" barrel, it hits hard for a pistol shotgun. The "choke" on it actually chokes the shot ontop of ending what little spin the slow twist puts on it. The twist is so slow it will not shoot anything over 225 without keyholes. From the offhand and Winchester 3" slugs I can take a deer.......... WT eff!! a deer?!, yep. At 40 yards from the offhand.

Its all good. I am not a fan of the 40, but it gets the job done. :p

The Judge does throw a wide pattern, but it aint made for hunting either. At the distance you would shoot at they do a heck of a number. I seen slugs fired from a 3" judge that got just over 1100fps. Not too bad at all if you ask me. Winchesters PDX1 45LC was made for that gun and it shoots better than any 45 from the Judge I have seen. From my SC it is one large hole at 25 with opensights. Great round for that gun and it is designed for it.

Oh and for the record. Even though I seen the judge do so good from others. I too would find it hard to buy another Tauri. I had two bad ones in the past. Still wont bash the Judge because of it. I gather I would be the unlucky one and get a bad one. I am probably the only person on earth to get 4 bad 10-22s in a row on the planet and everyone I know that has one, its the best 22 they ever bought....sigh......
  5. johnlives4christ

i aint got nothing against the 410. never had a taurus or a bad experience with them. but i've looked at some in stores and i didnt like them. everyone pretty much agrees that taurus quality is hit or miss. i dont wanna take the chance on a taurus just because something is "cool". the local gunsmith says their revolvers are fine. guess im not convinced yet
  6. theammobroker

theammobroker New Member

Regardless of what you end up with, be sure you either have laser sights or some type of glow-in-the-dark sights.
  7. hansom

hansom Former Guest

I do not recommend Glocks for beginers, they are great handguns but also very unforgiving.

As the othes have mentioned the Ruger P95 is a great home gun , the Sig is an outstanding gun but very costly, another gun you might want to look into is the FNP .40 with night sights, and if your wife or children will be using it too i recommend the Beretta 92 fs, simply the easiest full size gun to handle , even a todler can "rack the slide"
  8. johnlives4christ

dunno about glocks being unforgiving... i'd probably say that about all handguns. my opinion is that the safest and best home defense handgun is a single action revolver. but if a person is set on an auto there are many good ones.
  9. hansom

hansom Former Guest

I do not recommend Glocks for beginers, they are great handguns but also very unforgiving.

As the othes have mentioned the Ruger P95 is a great home gun , the Sig is an outstanding gun but very costly, another gun you might want to look into is the FNP .40 with night sights, and if your wife or children will be using it too i recommend the Beretta 92 fs, simply the easiest full size gun to handle , even a todler can "rack the slide"
  10. johnlives4christ

dunno about glocks being unforgiving... i'd probably say that about all handguns. my opinion is that the safest and best home defense handgun is a single action revolver. but if a person is set on an auto there are many good ones.
  11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  12. johnlives4christ

whats up with the copy and paste in response?
  13. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

you see alot of these what is best for me type of questions and the truth is who knows.... are you a experienced shooter if so what do you use now ? are you willing to practice practice practice ? will you be taking a firearms safety course ? have you tried out any guns at the local range ? do you live in a house or a apartment. these are all things to consider before joining the ranks of the armed home owner..... if new think about a revolver if your a little more advanced sure try a auto, and now you have tons of choices sig's glocks, cz's ruger, etc..... notice smith and wesson isn't on my personal list i wouldn't walk across the street if they were giving them away. the new ones i should add.( but thats just me i know of many a happy sigma and m&p owner) so what are you looking for ? price ? get a ruger, reliability many fit in this catagory. ease of operation.... glock. fool prove proven design ditch the double action idea and get a quality 1911.asking a group of people what is best for you will get so many different replies you'll be more confused than before you asked. hard to say what is best for you, it like asking what shoes are more comfortable with knowing if your flat footed or missing toes ......
  14. Randy1944

Randy1944 New Member

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I felt that I would get many varying answers. All of the information is useful. I have had and used hunting guns for decades. In the past twenty years I have not used them and do not even keep them in my home. I was thinking of just one gun for home defense. One of the suggestions brought to my mind, that I already have a Thompson single shot .410/45. I bought it new back in 1969 and used it as a snake gun in the swamps while hunting raccoons and bears. I am no longer able to hunt in that manner, but still enjoy the memories. Those certainly were the "good ole days". Thanks again for all of the information and for triggering my slipping memory. Randy1944
  15. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

Depending on your amount of experience with handguns. I would just borrow/rent as many as possible. The above suggestions are perfectly fine. Just about any of the modern polymer pistols will be accurate enough, reliable and within your budget. You may or may not like the Glock, XD, or S&W M&P. The only way to find that out is by shooting them. It's much cheaper to spend some dough trying out different pistols than to buy one mistake.

For home defense just get a 9mm/.38 spl and up and you'll be fine. I wouldn't suggest using a .357 Mag as a HD gun, unless you are just going to fire .38 spl out of it.
  16. 22shot

22shot New Member

Randy1944

You mention your Thompson 45/410 single shot; so..

Here com da Judge!

Model 4510
    Taurus Judge:
    5 shot revolver
    .45LC/.410shotshell

Put on some CrimsonTide grips; load it up with some of that new Winchester pellet and disc .410 and tuck it away.

That laser sight will do the trick; but if not, you still have the ultimate option...

"Home defense" is up close and personal.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  17. Boris

Boris Former Guest

The PDX1 410 from my 10" SC is awesome. I have seen it fired from a couple judges and at defensive shoot ranges it would be tough to beat. It also recoils harder than any 410 ammo from a pistol I have ever fired........
  18. Jay

Jay New Member

Compressing a mag spring to its rated capacity, will NOT hurt it at all. You can leave it loaded for years, and barring inferior steel, there will be no issues. The cycling (loading and unloading) of a spring over time, is what weakens' them.

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....
  19. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

P95 warning... I bought a P-95 awhile back. The extractor went flat. I mean, it cannot extract a fired case. I replaced it with one that Ruger sent. Very soon, the same thing happened. If the gun cannot extract fired cases, it cannot chamber a new one. NEVER EVER AGAIN will I buy a semi-auto Ruger. The problem was fixed by replacing the P-95 with a pair of Glocks.
  20. johnlives4christ

i owned a p95 about 5 years ago. i shot i would guess a couple 1000 rounds through it. i ended up wanting something more "cool" and sold it. last i heard it's still running strong.

while you've had a bad experience joe i wouldnt let that dissuade you from trying another.

i have owned 2 ruger 10-22's and barrowed another that all failed to eject properly. the two i owned were both new from walmart. my personal bad experiences are not enough to give ruger 10-22's a bad name when most all ruger 10-22's work flawlessly. a guy i know has one that runs great. i've further learned that mostly likely an extra power extractor spring would have fixed the problems i had.
    i now desire another 10-22. this time i'll know what to do if i have problems, not give up one what is unanimously known as a great gun.

another example. i have owned 2 naa mini revolvers. the first one had the dentent fall out of the base pin. my current one had the same thing. and the main spring break. and it had the cylinder stop turning. upon returning it to naa and receiving it back it works fine. i dont plan on giving up on the naa because i've had some problems. even if i have more.

guns are build by man, nothing man makes is perfect though. with all things there are lemons.

im sure there are bad glocks out there. i had one actually that shot so far to the left that the rear sight couldnt be adjusted enough to fix it. that didnt stop my from buying another glock.