The Firearms Forum banner

Looking for info on cap & ball pistol

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Jim K 
#1 ·
This pistol does not seem to have any distinguishing markings so I have no idea of make, model or age. Appreciate any feedback

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
G'day Thom1963 welcome to the forum

i think this is a Cross these where a kit pistol that where popular in catalouge for home builders to make , prefinished parts

the same style can be obtained from Dixie gun works but Cross no longer manufacture and where replaced by pedersoli and traditions ( CVA )

available in the late 60's and 70's .. value there i am not sure

#3 ·
Jack is right, it is not an antique. Value? $50-75, perhaps. People buy those "kits", put the guns together, then find they really have no use for the result, so they trade them at junk shops and flea markets to folks who think they are getting an old and valuable gun.

Jim

#4 ·
the cross lock's are getting a bit valuable , folks like the decorated locks so the locks are often sold to folks who will use them on a plainsmen or Kentucky styles rifle

i bought a lock to put on a gents rifle and paid $90 just for the lock and hammer

and happy to offer similar or a bit more on this if interested

they aint super valuable but folks like me do like the simple earthy style of engraving

#6 ·
I made money on several of those kits when the owners gave up and wanted them put together. If the parts were good and were (or could be) properly hardened, I did the work. Percussion revolvers were OK and I learned a lot about fitting and timing those guns. Single shots were OK and, of course, simple to work on. Some of the kits even had the lockplate cutout done, all but to deepen it a bit. Others were less complete and I had to figure out the lock and sideplate placement. They always worked out, though, and it wasn't bad money. I never had a complaint on the money, even though the cost was usually considerably more than the kit cost in the first place.

Jim

#9 ·
Aw Ron, it might be small. Could be a baby that's holding it, in the bottom pic, and that itty-bitty hand makes the scale be off. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.