looking for info on my Iver Johnson revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by phighball, Jun 13, 2012.

1. phighball

phighball New Member

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg I have a Iver Johnson revolver sn H55768 six shot with 6" barrel. Has a wooden grip and stenciled on the top of the barrel IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS* *FITCHBURG, MASS USA * I'm using 32 cal. ammo. It has a double action trigger. Under the trigger guard sn 555768 is stenciled, and under the wooden grips on the metal pistol grips is stenciled H55768. Pictures are attached
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

You have a large frame third model made in 1923, with the optional "western walnut" grip.

Correct ammo is the .32 S&W Long cartridge, and do not use .32 ACP/.32 Auto which will also chamber and fire but generates excess pressure for these guns.

The six shot .32 version was advertised by I.J. as the ".32 Special."
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  3. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

hrf, phighball said that he was using 32 caliber ammo. Does that conflict with the serial number, or change the date of manufacture?

From what I can see about the cylinder, it looks like a six-shot revolver. If it is a 32, would it be able to handle 32 S&W Long?
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Thanks, I missed that and have edited my reply.
  5. phighball

phighball New Member

Thank you for the info. I was shooting 32 auto AP, and it did make me nervous....I was also wondering what it is worth. I had bought it from a pawn shop in 1999 for $65.00.I will wait for a reply before purchasing the 32 s&w long.
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

.32 Auto will probably not cause a catastrophic failure, but is likely to loosen the lockup sooner.

There were a lot of early 1900s European revolvers actually chambered and marked for 7.65mm (.32 ACP) but of the solid frame type.

My WAG of value as a .32 S&W Long caliber shooter with the long barrel and target grip is $200 or more.
  7. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

But on the other hand, $65 for a working revolver that uses obtainable modern ammunition was a bargain. 32 Long is a very pleasant cartridge to shoot, and should be noticeably more accurate than 32 Auto. It is not as easy to find, though.

If the price is the same, I would suggest getting "wadcutter" ammunition; it looks funny (it uses a cylindrical bullet seated down inside the brass), but is more useful for just about anything you might use a 32 Long for. Ordinary round-nose-lead ammunition is often cheaper though. There is no difference between them in bullet weight or velocity, just bullet shape.

As hrf said, 32 Auto is a bad idea, although at least your gun was better able to take it than the more common small size 5-shot 32 S&W "short" revolvers.