Looking for info on old Rem. shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TheJakster2, Oct 30, 2007.

1. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

Picked this beauty up recently and need some info.
    First I believe it is a Remington Model 9 16 ga. 30" barrel, 16 ga I'm sure of.
    bluing is 95%, I believe the receiver was browned? No rust but finish is almost gone. Stock is in good shape except for a few dings and scratches. Action is tight bore nice and shiny. Overall functions perfectly including ejector.
    Serial number 107383,
    Couldn't find any picture of a model 9 to verify. So looking for someone who is familiar with them. Interested in value, I would estimate shotgun to be in very good condition possibly better just have nothing to compare too. Book I looked at doesn't give value for anything better than very good.
    Shotgun 001.jpg

Shotgun 002.jpg

Shotgun 011.jpg

Shotgun 016.jpg
    For the record I paid $90.00 for it.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Jackster....

Yup, looks like a Model 1893 (No. 9) to me. It matches the picture in the Standard Catalog of Firearms (16th Edition) on page #919.

For 90 bucks, looks like you stole it......SCOF values it at:

Good - $600
    Fair - $250
    Poor - $100
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

And that probably isn't " browning," it's actually an aging process to old blueing, when it picks up a "patina" of rust.

Blueing is actually a controlled oxidation of the metal, a form of rusting, done chemically...over time, especially with the old "Rust Blue process," MOST antigue guns that were actually used, and not preserved in some way or stored in a closed low humidity air tight case or container, pick up that "brownish" look...

In fact most collectors, while paying a premium for the preserved "like new" antiques, do not discount very much for "patina" for normal collector grade antique guns, in fact it's kind of expected.

That is not to say they were abused, or allowed to collect "surface rust," but just normal wear and aging....my inherited '97 WInchester made in 1912 is also very "brown," and I used to have a signature line here before that said "Patina is an acquired taste...";)
  4. Kinda like Mosin Nagants, Polish? :D;)
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Pistol, I shouldn't share this with you, you might agree and/or laugh a little too much...:cool:

But we used to have a guy on here, before your time, called "Fredneck," who I had the pleasure of actually meeting back when I made a trip through Missouri and met a lot of the original members, who had the ULTIMATE comeback when I went on another rant extolling the many virtues of Emile Nagant and Sergei Mosin's design...that after hearing/suffering it, I can take ANYTHING anybody else can dish out....:p

He got on and said he agreed that EVERY gun owner needs to own at least one Mosin Nagant....

....just to act as a "dessicant bag" to keep the rust off the REAL guns...."

:cool:

:p:D:D:D Even I had to laugh at that one...:D:D:D
  6. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

Thanks for the input. Based on what I can find on them which is very little, I believe the one I have was produced in the first year of production. Only has one patent date on it. Remington says serial numbers ran from 90000 to 461000 over 9 nine years of production. Couldn't believe it when I saw it in the shop where I bought it, almost missed it when someone else bought it but they brought it back because it was a 16 ga. and was marked 12 ga.
    It's a beautiful piece. I've seen two others but they were later years and there were several differences between those shotguns and this one. Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again, does anyone know if they were chambered for 2-3/4" shells? Hate to own a gun I can't shot at least once, mechanically it in perfect shape so it doesn't appear that it would be unsafe to fire, but a friend raised a question about the older shotguns being chambered for 2-9/16 shells. I'm not a expert on shotguns and appreciate someone to clarify for me.