Looking for info regarding a Winchester Model 1890

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by tjr29218, Jul 14, 2005.

1. tjr29218

tjr29218 New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a few questions regarding an old pump action, Winchester Model 1890 that I inherited from my father. Some info about the firearm, it has a 24" long, octagon barrel with Winchester Repeating Arms Company stamped on the left side of the barrel. It also has a few patent dates listed as well, June 26, '88, Dec 6, '92, Nov 27, '06 and May 30, 1911. Near the receiver is stamped .22 WRF. There are two numbers stamped on the bottom of the gun. One on the trigger tang which reads, 244827; and the other on the bottom of the receiver near the barrel which reads 496504 and then the letter "A" underneath this number. There is a take down screw on the left side of the receiver near the stock so I believe this was either a second or third model run. I can't really tell if the barrel was blued at one time because it really is now all brown as is the receiver. Both barrel and receiver have quite a bit of pitting I assume from rust. It has an open hammer, with a blade style front sight and small rear sight that has been dovetailed into the top of the barrel. The stock looks to be walnut and has some scratches/dings in it on both sides. It also has a silver butt stock plate and the magazine rings/brackets are also silver colored. It doesn't look like these have been painted though, because some brass colored metal is showing underneath the silver plating on the butt stock plate. I'm curious as to how old this firearm is and what might it's value be. I can't imagine it will worth more that a few hundred dollars, if that, due to the shape it is in, but it holds some sentimental value for me. I don't ever recall my father firing it and I have certainly not fired it either. I'd be most grateful for any information shared.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi tjr......welcome to TFF.

Your Winchester 1890 is actually a Third Model Takedown, and originally had a blued finish. Your particular gun, #496504, was manufactured in 1912.

Your Model 1890 was chambered for the .22 WRF (Winchester Rimfire) cartridge, which is not the same as the currently available .22 rimfires, nor should .22 rifmires be used in this gun. See: http://www.chuckhawks.com/22WRF.htm

Unfortunately, .22 WRF is no longer made on a regular basis, so your gun is pretty much a wall hanger now.

In the condition you state, the Blue Book Value is:

10% - $235
    20% - $275
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

4. Xracer

5. tjr29218

tjr29218 New Member

Hey, thanks Xracer and inplanotx for you help and assessment. I really do appreciate your taking the time to reply. A couple of more questions, do you think it would be worth the investment to try and have the gun restored given it's current shape? Other than making the gun perhaps better in appearance, would it actually increase/decrease its current value? Also, any idea what it might cost to have it restored?

On another note, I'm trying to date another .22 rifle of my father's. It's a J. Stevens Arms Co, Springfield, Model 84C. I can't find an serial number on it but I may not be looking in the right place. I have done some research and found that Savage Arms bought out J. Stevens Arm around 1920 so my thinking is this rifle was built before then. It was originally blued but some of the bluing has come off except for the areas covered by the stock. So a good 70% or more is gone. This one doesn't have any pitting and I am quite interested in re-bluing this rifle. Is re-bluing a DIY type of job or should I seek out a good gunsmith? Any recommendations for a good smith in my area...Salt Lake City, UT?
  6. Xracer

On the Model 1890.....as you describe it's condition, I don't think that a "restoration" would be cost effective. A reblue and cosmetic touch-up wouldn't increase the value at all, and a real professional restoration would be very expen$ive, and probably would cost more than the value of the gun.

On the Stevens Springfield Model 84C.....am I correct in assuming that this is a bolt action .22 with a 5 shot magazine?

This was a inexpensive, utilitarian .22 rifle....as were most of the Springfield by J. Stevens line of rifles.

You can't find a serial # because it probably doesn't have one. Serial #s weren't required on all rifles, pistols, and shotguns until the Gun Control Act of 1968.....and many manufacturers of inexpsive guns just didn't bother to serialize their firearms prior to '68.

On the date......Sevens continued to manufacture the Springfield line of firearms long after they were bought out by Savage....at least into the 1950's and possibly into the '60's, I believe. BTW, my first rifle was a Springfield Model 15 (single shot .22) that I got for Christmas in 1948 (thank you Mom, Dad, & Santa Claus!)....so they were still making them then.

The Standard Catalog of Firearms values the Model 84 at:

V.G. - $200
    Good - $100
    Fair - $70
    Poor - $50

As to a reblue of the 84C.....I don't know the gunsmith situation in Salt Lake City. You might look some up in the Yellow Pages and get an estimate on a reblue......but......given the minimal value on this gun, I think I just might try the DIY route. Hey, it's an inexpensive gun....what've you got to lose?....and it might be a fun project.

I can't give you a definitive recommendation on a home reblue kit, but I've heard many good things about the Blue Wonder stuff..... http://www.bluewonder.us/BlueWonderGunBlue.html

Good luck.......
  7. tjr29218

tjr29218 New Member

Hello Xracer, sorry for the delayed reply. I've been out of town and away from any technology.

Thanks again for the help and info. Yes, the 84C is a bolt action rifle with a 5 shot mag. I've got it broken down giving it a good cleaning. My dad was never too good about that sort of thing. It's got a lot of grime that I need to clean up.

As for the reblue kit, I'll check out the website you mentioned and see what they have to offer. There is also a couple of fairly large sporting goods stores in my area that I will check with too. We've even got a new Cabela's opening in a month or two. I believe they will have a repair shop located in the store.

Thanks again...
  8. Xracer

OK tjr.......good luck and let us know how it turns out.
  9. vladtepes

vladtepes New Member

I was about to ask the same question. My nephew just inherited one from his grandfather and I'm doing some research on it.

Ser no is 738152 if anyone can tell me anything about it from this number.

Its also a WRF one so here in Australia my chance of getting ammo is as likely as... well, let's just say it's unlikely !

It'll come up nice after a bit of work just a real shame that he won't be able to actually use it.

:) people !
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Hey guys,

CCI is making 22WRF again! I have a Rem. 12C in 22WRF and ordered ammo through Cabella's. Nice copper jacketed stuff that works like a dream.

You can either get a flat nosed CJ bullet or a 45 gr. JHP which is what I ordered.

Midway is carrying it too, along with some Winchester made WRF.

Good luck!