looking for info.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by lcollins1983, Jun 26, 2012.

1. lcollins1983

lcollins1983 New Member

I have a garate Antigua 38 special with pearl handle and nickle plated just looking for info on it.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the club can u post a picture and tell us if there is any numbers or names on it
  3. lcollins1983

lcollins1983 New Member

How would i go about a pic serial. # is 45796
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

if u go on FAQ on the top then u can pick the topic u want and it will tell u how to put up a picture
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im gonna move this one over to ask the pros forum.

Welcome to TFF lcollins1983.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

During the period of 1920 and 1930 The Spanish firm of Garate y Anilua made copies of both the Colt Police Positive and the S&W Military and Police. These were produced from 1920 to 1930. These were copies, not clones and original U.S. parts will not interchange, the resemblance is usually only n the out side, most of these guns had different lock work than the American guns. while these guns may look like their American counter parts, the quality is nowhere near the same. Because there is noway to know the hardness of the steel used ( if it was even steel and not cast iron ) most knowledgeable people advise against shooting them, even with reduced loads. Value is not high on these Spanish " Eibar " guns, I believe that if the pistol in question was new in the box, it would bring 250 to 300, in the well worn condition most of these guns are found, most bring 100 to 150. While the nickle and pearl help on the eye appeal, they add nothing to the safety of the firearm. Garate was in business from the late 1800s until 1936/38. His business did not survive the Spanish civil war in 1936. I cannot advise yea or nay of the safety of shooting any of these old Spanish guns. IMO they are best as display guns only. Best I can do, others??
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  8. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

lcollins, as RJay says, what you have is an inexpensive pistol made in Spain between about 1920 and 1936. Although Garate Anitua seems to have been one of the better makers, the quality of these guns was very mixed even when they were new, and being at least 75 years old has not helped them any. Shooting one of them in a fairly large caliber like 38 Special is really not a good idea nowadays. Hrf's experience shows why.

It is very hard to say what a gun is worth without seeing it, just like it is with a used car. If you can take digital pictures, you can post them here. Just click on the blue-gray "Post Reply" button at the bottom-left of this thread. On the resulting message form, you will see a paperclip icon (it is just to the right of the smiley face). You click on that to post attachments like pictures. Hope that helps!
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

As noted above, Garate Anitua was among the better Spanish makers, but none were equal to US revolvers. I don't know the make, but a friend used one as a starter gun and it blew up firing a blank. I have known of at least one other that blew up, so I have to agree with the others in advising that those old Spanish guns be considered as wall hangers and not fired.

Jim
  10. lcollins1983

lcollins1983 New Member

Thank you guys for the responses. I was more or less just wanting info on the gun, its not in firming condition any ways. I will try and upload a photo just so you all can still see it.
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:D We do get carried away sometimes and put too mush sauce on the goose.:D
  12. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Garate Anitua was one of the more interesting Spanish pistol makers. They made the little "Charloa" 5mm automatic pistol back around 1900, and the "La Lira" pistol, derived from the Mannlicher 1905. They seem to have made more than one style of revolver for the French in World War I, and an S&W top break type revolver in 455 for the British.