Looking for input on 40 Cal

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by gdmoody, Jun 7, 2008.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Thinking about buying a .40 Cal pistol. I kinda have it narrowed down to either a Springfield XD, an FNP-40, or a S&W M&P. I would really appreciate some input on what your thoughts are for those three choices.

I am really not considering any other ones at this time, but if you have any other good suggestions, I will take them into consideration, also.

Thanks in advance for any information.

George Moody
  2. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

One thing I have found with Handguns is that everyone has their favorite, myself I am a Sig man and have one in .40 Cal that I love. However I also have a Springfield xD in 9mm and I love it, very accurate, fun to shoot, and good quality for the money... I would be very confident that their .40 cal would share the same attributes.

Of course there is nothing like taking one out for a test drive so if you have a range that rents I would try them all out.

Just my .02
  3. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

It'll really help if you get the chance to shoot your options at a range.
    Just to confuse the issue for you, I have an HKUSP40c (compact), and like it a lot. Great feel in the hand, decent capacity (12+1), nice trigger & reset, and a different mag release set-up that I really like. Plus, I prefer to carry cocked and locked, and this HK gives me that option.
  4. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I've liked every XD I shot including the .40 cal. If I were buying my own I'd go with a .45 though but that's just a matter of preference...nothing against .40's.

My last commander had a M&P 9mm and a M&P .40 cal. Both very solid good shooting pieces.

If you're test firing don't rule out a Glock until you try it either. Same thing for CZ....the 75B in .40 is a nice weapon.
  5. gdmoody

Thanks guys. All that you have mentioned are great weapons, I have a Sig 9mm and absolutely love it, but I don't have the money now to spend on a Sig or the H&K.

To be honest, I didn't even think of the CZ but will now look at them also.

Delta - I have owned two of the Glock .40's (still have the 23 and did not like the 27). I have a Kimber .45 and don't think I can do much better than that without going custom.

I wish there were a place nearby to rent some but, alas, there is none.

I do appreciate the info and advice that you have given and I do welcome any additional comments or suggestions.
  6. gdmoody

All right guys - I found a used SIG 229 at my local candy store so I ended up with a Sig for a little less money than my original three choices. Thanks to those who gave me some input.
  7. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

229.....good choice.
  8. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I have GLOCKs, model 23 and 27. They work well for me but may not for you. The best is to find a shop that has a range and rents handguns and try them out.
  9. Shellback

Shellback New Member

Sigs solid, I shoot a P229 and love it.
  10. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Very good choice on the 229 - I would love to add one to my collection.
  11. gdmoody

I would not have one if I had not just wondered in to the gun shop the day they got one in on trade. I got it for a great price. If one is looking for a SIG 9mm, they might look into the German trade in's (P225/P6) that have been flooding the market in the past few months. I picked up one of those with two mags/holster/cleaning kit for $285.
  12. Zebraranger

Zebraranger New Member

Those are some good choices and some good sugestions, another you might want to test drive is the Walther P99 .40, I've put a few thousand rounds thru mine over the past few years and it has never really given me any problems, once ftf and that was it. The POA and ergonomics are great. I too favor the .45
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  13. infidel_2_dabone

infidel_2_dabone New Member

I got 2 of the CZ's and love them dearly, I'm having a double shoulder rig made up just for me, plus 2 mag pouches on both sides,mounted just below the weapons. Can't wait to strap them on!
    PLUS: I have been told by several SIG owners that the action is smoother on the CZ,and I happen to agree, but the best part will be the accuracy,second to non of any out of the box semi autos!
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  14. TDR911

TDR911 New Member

I am with Zebraranger. The Walther P99 is a great choice. My pick of the 3 mentioned is the S&W M&P , then the XD. Both great guns. Have or shot them both in 9mm and 40 S&W.
  15. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

the springfield xd would be my choice.. i recently bought one in .357 sig and absolutly love it. it is the best shooting polymer pistol i've ever came into contact with. the m&p feels nice but i dont think it shoots as good. but hey, this is my opinion...in the end YOU are the one spending the money