Looking for my first .357 revolver

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Urban_Black_Redneck, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Urban_Black_Redneck

Urban_Black_Redneck New Member

I think I got my mind set on a S&W 620 (I like the sights and 7 shots) but I would like input from some experienced wheelers.

I want a gun that is reliable, dependable, accurate, quality made, and is all around as excellent as can be for $600-700. I think a medium frame gun with a 4" barrel is what I am looking for but can anyone with larger than average hands tell me if one of the large framed guns with be a better choice (along with the extra weight and bigger size/less portability)?

Thanks
  2. gunnut1980

gunnut1980 New Member

I claim washington state, and pennsylvainia
    I once had a s&w 640 J frame .357,was no fun to shoot with full loads,but ok with .38+P When I pcs'd to ft. stewart I came across a colt python .357 6" stainless for 800$
    I'm in love with it,it's my pride and joy of my meager 15 gun collection.If you can find one buy it!
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have S&W revolvers with N frames and a 357 with a L frame (medium frame, 4 inch barrel)). They are in 44 mag (4 inch), and 41 mag (6 inch) for the N frame guns. I have small hands and I notice no real difference in the grip sizes between the N and L framed guns. Besides, there are options galore out there for grip sizes. One is expressly for guys with big hands (Bill Jourdan version, I think it is).

For a comparison between the big revovler makers (S&W and Ruger) here's my take on it, having owned both brands. Ruger is all about strength and utility. S&W is about finesse and beauty. Both are reliable, and strong enough. Rugers will injest almost anything you feed it forever. S&W guns will shoot loose if fed MAX loads all the time but can usually be setup to be tight again by S&W as they have an excellent in-house rebuilding program. The S&W triggers are superb and simple spring changes can make them outstanding, whereas the Ruger takes much more work to make their triggers better because Ruger designed them to be "lawyer proof". Ruger use an investment CAST frame whereas S&W uses a FORGED frame of smaller cross sectional areas. BUt......you can't go wrong by choosing either brand. I like the S&W family.

Hope that helps.

LDBennett
  4. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

What about a Taurus?

I've never owned a revolver, nor a Taurus, but I hear good things about them.

Any input LD?
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I know nothing about their revolvers but had a Taurus copy of the Beretta Model 92 semi-auto pistol that was a superb gun. I have a Taurus clone of the Colt Lightning Rifle in 45 Long Colt and the Taurus clone of the Winchester Model 63 semi-auto 22LR rifle that both had their problems initially but I fixed them myself.

I think the best revolvers on the market are the Ruger for durability and utility, and the S&W for beauty, good triggers, and excellent accuracy. I no longer have any Ruger handguns but have three S&W revolvers. I think Taurus quality to be a notch below either Ruger or S&W, based on my most recent experience with their rifles. The Taurus Model 92 (I actually owned the Model 99 with adjustable sights) is a special case as it was a Beretta design made on Beretta equipment left in Brazil at the end of a military contract. But Taurus revolvers are better made than Rossi revolvers.

I like S&W revolvers. Mine are from the last 20 years, bought as late as about 5 years ago. I think the latest ones are excellent guns and in some respects better than those made in the late 1980's and 1990's. I did have a 1950's K22 (model 17, I think) in 22LR and it was superbly made, better than even todays guns but not by much.

Hope that helps.

LDBennett
  6. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Just got a S&W 686(?) .357. It has the longer barrel, great sights. They have a notch on the end of the barrel some new fangled concept, did not get that. I do not have big hands, but I have to admit this gun is great to shoot. Very easy to handle with .38s and .357s. One thing I have found is the ammo I am using has a hard primer, as a result I had 7 rounds fail. My gun guy said to switch to Federal for the softer primer. On the .38s no failures. Hammer falls great, dime on the front sight barely moves during a dry fire. I would never buy a S&W auto, unless it was older, but still think they offer a great product in a revolver.
    BTW I know a dealer who may be able to get you one in the lower 600 number in a new gun. If interested just send me a P.M.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  7. badlander

badlander New Member

The only revolver I have I bought about 12 years ago. It's a Taurus .357 8 shot stainless 4in. I've probably shot a thousand rounds or so through it and have never had any problems at all (other than problems with a few reloads...but it wasn't the gun). In my opinion it's a beautiful gun and has worked flawlessly. It hasn't had what I would consider heavy use but it's been a great gun for me.
  8. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

"One thing I have found is the ammo I am using has a hard primer, as a result I had 7 rounds fail. My gun guy said to switch to Federal for the softer primer. On the .38s no failures. "

Just out of curiosity what kind of ammo are you having this problem with ? Is it factory ammo or reloads ? Reason I ask is, when I first started reloading I had some intermittent problems like you describe and it turned out to be my primers weren't seated firmly enough, so when the firing pin hit the primer, it just finished seating it instead of striking it fully and discharging the round.
  9. vytoland

vytoland New Member

I
    S&W model 686 can be found in used, but excellant condition on some of the internet gun auction sites........they come in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 inch barrels

i picked this one up in august on Brand X for $434........686-4pp

View attachment 21114
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  10. dirttrackdemon

dirttrackdemon New Member

I have a Ruger SP101, with a 3 1/4" bbl. It shoots great and is small enough to carry. The only thing I did was to get a Hogue grip for it. It is very accurate, and is not too heavy. Another plus is that it's stainless.
  11. dusty9

dusty9 Member

Based on what you indicate you are looking for, either a S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 in 4" stainless would be a perfect choice. As others have stated, Rugers are noted for their durability and for being utilitarian workhorses, while S&W's are more refined, with better out-of-the-box triggers. Check them both out and get whichever you like the best. You cannot go wrong with either of them.
  12. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I have a Highway Patrolman and Combat Magnum that work for me.
  13. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I've had a 686 for about 18 yrs and shot quite a bit of reloads with it. I too had problems only with cci primers when I first started reloading. Once I switched never had a problem since. I think i've probably shot 2K rounds in it and the gun is still in time. I used to shoot milk jugs at the 100yrd rifle range with it. I even took a doe with it one year. I have a 6" barrel on mine. You will not be sorry if you go with this. ;)
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I also would suggest a Taurus. I have a 7 Shot Taurus Model 66SS that seems to be pretty much everything you are looking for and I bought it new for $380.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  15. Urban_Black_Redneck

Urban_Black_Redneck New Member

The Ruger GP100 and SW 686 are on the list now.

The Taurus is probably okay but I want to buy an American gun.