Looking for opinions on the Sig P220

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I'm looking at getting another .45acp that's not a 1911....(already got that)....

I've looked at and researched several from Glock, XD, H&K, and a few others. Out of all that I've looked at, the H&K Mark 23 is hands down the ultimate .45acp shooting machine....but I can't afford $2,400.00 for a handgun. Beyond that, the Sig P220R feels good in my hand, has great reviews, solid, well made firearm by a company that backs up their product. It's also rated as one of the most accurate "out-of-the-box" guns on the market, and one of the local gun shops has one for $775.00....(I'm sure others here could find one cheaper, but try to remember...I live in New Jersey).... :rolleyes:

Anybody else have & shoot one of these Sig's.....?
    What's your Honest opinion of it.......?
    Any problems, malfunctions, or break-downs you'd like to share with me before I buy....(probably this weekend if all goes as planned)......
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Tony, I have a 220 and you have already listed the attributes for this FINE handgun. It has preformed flawlessly every time I have shot it. Just used it in a match a couple weeks ago, it ran perfectly, as usual.

I’m not familiar with NJ laws. What does it take to get a handgun into the state? There are a few 220s listed online that run just under $500. With shipping and transfer fees, it still sounds cheaper than your local shop.

If you like the Mark 23, you might take a look at the USP Expert. Last time I was comparing 45’s, that is the one I chose. I didn’t need the Tactical, with the threaded barrel, and I didn’t want to lay out the $2,400.00 that you alluded to, for the Mark 23. You can pick up an Expert for about half that. I did and LOVE it. With night sites, a rail for a flashlight or laser, makes it "fun" too. ;)

The only complaint I have heard about the H&K (besides it’s price :eek: ) is the size of the grips. They are rather large for some people to be able to handle well. Fits me like a glove. The 13 + 1 round count on the H&K, is why I “usually” use it for shooting matches. Picked up a couple of aftermarket mags which holds 20, they have worked great so far. 21 rounds of 45 is a LOT of lead flying down range.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have a P220 from the time that Browning imported them. Excellent gun!!! But pricey!

Other choices:

CZ 97, a rather large pistol for those with big hands. I don't fit that catagory but I get along with mine fine. Also a fine reliable shooter. Good price for what it is.

Witness from EAA that is a CZ clone made in Italy. Another good gun but Witness quality can be spotty. My gun is fine but the one you buy may not be (???). Relatively low cost.

LDBennett
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

They have always worked well for me
  5. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

The CZ-97 is another consideration, but they are tough to locate around these parts. I haven't completely passed on the Glock 21 as yet either. The thing about Glock is, you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting at least 10 Glock owners. Just about every police agency in my area carries Glock, everybody and their mother carries and stocks holsters, and spare parts for them, and I know about 20 people that are certified Glock armorers, and most of them own a sight adjustment tool for this gun. It's almost a requirement to own at least one, or most shooters on the line won't even buy you a cup of coffee...... :eek:

Now I'm not one to follow fads, I pretty much march to my own beat, but you gotta admit, there is a strong argument for Glock....most everybody that has them, hold onto them, and shoot them a lot, and I don't hear too many stories about having to ship them back to the factory for major overhauling.....

Last point of contention......Sig P220R...$775.00 / Glock 21......$475.00....

I could damn near buy another gun with the $300.00 difference....

I know how the Sig feels in my hand, and I've only dry fired it. It's NICE....!!!
    I have shot Glocks in the smaller calibers, but never a model 21 in .45acp, so I really don't know how I will like it in the end, but I do know how a Glock in general feels to shoot....... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Who knows, by the time I walk out of the gun shop Saturday morning, I'm liable to have another 1911 in my hands.....I'm fickle that way.... :rolleyes:

I'll keep all you good people posted on the out come......and thanks for the feed back....

A lot of hassle, bullshit and red tape. By the time I get done jumping through all the hoops, I'll spend more in shipping and transfer fees then buying direct from a NJ dealer, even at their inflated prices. Besides, I'll be working with some trade-in's, and you can't do that on an internet sale......
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  6. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

I am a Glock Guy....

I have never known anyone that did not feel as though their SIG was an extension of their hand and would not part with them. I have handled and fired them at IDPA matches. Very, Very Nice...
  7. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

Back around 1980 I bought a P220, (then known as a Browning BDA) to replace my 1911. It came combat ready and with the ability to feed a empty case. Not a big deal now, but in 1980 the 220 was leading the way. When compared to all steel Colt Cmdr. there was noticeable less perceived recoil. Mostly due to less muzzle flip. The 220 was a very nice pistol.

Today I'm a Glock fan. There is a reason you can hit so many Glock owners with that cat of yours.:eek: I a word RELIABILITY! Think of the extra mags. and holsters you can buy with that extra $300.00. I have fired both the G21 and G36. both are great guns, and are very accurate. The 45 Glocks are also the only Glocks you can shoot lead bullets in.

That said if you decide on the 220 you will be getting a great pistol.
  8. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

"OK"....so I went with the Sig P220 after all......

Here's why.....

I took the effort in traveling to another well known Sig dealer. Lawmen Supply deals mainly with law enforcement, but also sells to the civilian market. With the exception of a small assortment of .22rf auto's, they mainly sell what the LE market demands. They're the biggest Glock dealer in NJ, but they also carry Ruger, Sig, Beretta, Springfield, Kimber, Taurus, and Kahr.

Now this place isn't the most generous when it comes to trade-in's, but they ain't the worst either. I was comparing the quoted price of their Glock 21...($475.00) to the asking price of the Sig P220 at another gun shop...($775.00).....
    I walk into Lawmen's this morning, and they not only have the Sig P220, but it's the Law Enforcement package which basicly means it comes with a third magazine. It's the exact model I wanted, all black, standard combat sights, and DA/SA action.
    Lawmen's asking price.....$599.00....that's a big difference from the $775.00 the other gun shop wanted for the same model sans the third mag that costs $40.00.....

Comparing my options, and the fact that I never really liked the slanted grip on the Glock, it didn't take me long to decide on the Sig P220. I also picked up a Blackhawk CQC holster, two mag holders, and a box of Federal Preimium 200Gr. expanding full metal jacket +P's.....(I shoot nothing but reloads, but the factory Federal's go into the mags after cleaning to perform home defense duty)

It's pouring rain in South Jersey today, but I stopped by the range anyway, and inbetween down pours, I ran out to the steel plate racks, and popped of 60+ rounds just to get it out of my system.....assuming the sun will come out, I'll be back there tomorrow to sight it in on paper, and kill a few more steel plates......
  9. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

It sound like you got good deal, on a good pistol. I'm glad you are happy with it. However, there is something to watch out for. If you shoot the 220 to much you will never look at your 1911 the same again!:D
  10. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

The way I look at it Wolfgang, my Kimber 1911 is a limited run, special edition Target Match, it's set up to fire 200Gr. SWC's at 25 yards with a 6 o'clock sight picture. The gun has a specific purpose, and I didn't want to beat it up shooting full power 230Gr. ball at the steel. This new purchase (Sig P220) was specific to that purpose....(general plinking, and combat shooting on the steel plates)

I wanted a top quality, reliable, easy to clean weapon with good combat accuracy, chambered in .45acp, and I got it in spades with this Sig. It's still raining today, but now where near as hard as yesturday, I got to sight it in at 50 Ft. and found the windage dead on, the elevation is somewhere's between 6 o'clock, and center of mass, holding it just below center of mass at 50 Ft. I was able to plant them in the "10" ring....both from a bench rest, and also standing with a two hand hold.

The only two negetive things I could possibly say about this Sig P220 is the trigger is quite different than what I'm used to, it's not even close to being broken in yet, and like most guns, I'm sure it'll only get better. This is not to say the trigger is difficult, it has no creep, and breaks clean, it just has a differnt feel about it.
    The other thing, and it's really only a problem for us reloaders, it hurls the brass out in a pretty far & wide pattern....making brass recovery somewhat difficult.

I really like the Blackhawk CQC holster, much better than the Fobus holsters I've had in the past for other guns. The CQC mag holders pinch them in pretty tight, and you really gotta give those 7 round single stacks a hard pull to clear them, but that too will probably improve over time and use.

In time I wouldn't mind replacing these blued 7 round mags with stainless steel 8 rounder's with drop pads, and the other thing that might find it's way to this gun is a set of Houge checkered rosewood grips. Beyond that, I'll be cranking the handle on my Lee Loadmaster til my arm falls off, cause I can see myself burning through a lot of ammo with this gun......(send all unused 230Gr. bullets, and large pistol primers to Tony Mig, I've got the powder & brass covered.....)
  11. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

You make this sound like it's a bad thing. It only indicates you need more dead cats to swing. HIT them Glock owners! [grin]
  12. Now, John, there you go knocking us Glockies again. How about hitting them with 1911s? They're certainly heavy enough, and one might as well make some use of them. :D ;)
  13. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Just jesting, PS!

I'd never abuse a cat like that, dead or not.

[GRIN]
  14. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

Tony, the 8 round mags are nice. The 220 is a great pistol. It should give you great service.
  15. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

What are you waiting for? It's an excelent gun.