Looking for options.

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Iron Eagle, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

It looks like there are some very knowledgeable folks here on the forum. I have a question- I want to get a 1911, but I don't want to spend a fortune on it. The four I am considering are from Springfield armory, Remington, Ruger, and Umarex. I saw the Umarex last night on Sportsman channel, and it looked good.
    Opinions? I know that some of y'all are purists, and I appreciate that. Unfortunately, that adds up to serious money. PM me with your responses. Thanks.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

3. Iron Eagle

Thanks, Shooter. I have heard of them, but have not seen one personally.
  4. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

If you want made in the USA then Ruger for sure and I think Remington as well. STI has a great reputation but the basic gun is made in the Philippines and finished in Texas. Does that mean that the foreign made guns are not good? Absolutely not! But I am becoming more and more bullish on America.
  5. Iron Eagle

I looked at a video on the STI. A couple of pieces were plastic, so that is something to consider. Have you seen the Umarex 45? Pretty nice. It was on Gallery of guns last night.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I'm a died in the wool Sprinfield Armory guy, my main 1911 is my TRP and my recommendation. STI's are high on my list of 1911's too. Have not personally handled Umarex but they are a fast growing company that looks very promising for both price and quality. a $500 Umarex will likely be as reliable as my $1300 TRP

I guess that doesn't really help you that much.... hey, they're all awesome, how's that...

I prefer to stick with companies like S.A., Kimber, Colt, etc... that have been around a while in the 1911 arena and proven but it's not to say Remington, Sig, S&W and such are inferior by any means, just not my first choice. (go with what you know theory I guess)
  7. Iron Eagle

Aa, I used to have a Springfield '90s edition. I let it get away. STUPID! Oh well. I agree with you.
  8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I wouldn't worry about the plastic parts as the employee owned company will not sell you any junk. Besides, they will save a little weight and can always be replaced with aluminum and steel. The frames and slides are in spec and as tough anything from SA ( Brazil ) or Colt. The " not made in this country" argument doesn't hold water and makes about as much sense as "union made". :rolleyes: People need to actually use a product before trying to bad mouth it. We saw that with the Norinco 1911. For just over $600, you won't beat the Spartan. It's as reliable as my Les Baer 1911 at 1/3 the price. Go figure ???
  9. skullfr

skullfr New Member

I wouldnt rule out Rock Island either.I know several officers that carry these on duty and are highly liked.I plan on getting one too.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep, and I would put that spartan up against any of the above named guns. Funny, I would put my 500.00 rock island against most any 1000.00 1911 made. How do I know? I own a bunch of 1000.00 1911s.
  11. Iron Eagle

Thanks for the input!
  12. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

Whatever gun you decide on I would suggest you purchase one that you can add to over time. A lowered ejection port is a great idea; especially if you reload. A beavertail safety is another mod that adds to the gun's feel.
  13. Iron Eagle