looking for "single function" muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by wpshooter, Feb 17, 2011.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Does Thompson (or what other companies) make a break open ('read that as easy to take down & clean') single function (i.e. just for use as muzzleloader) black powder type rifle - in other words, don't want/need anything like Pro Hunter ?

Thanks.
  2. Hawke

Hawke New Member

Based on your question, I can recommend a gun I own - the Knight KRB7. It's a modern in-line muzzleloader with fiber optic open sights, and really, "rolling block" is going a bit far although there is some resemblance. Point is, it's very easy to break down and clean. The action drops right out the bottom by pressing a small clip out of the way, then one simply removes the screw-in breech plug and there you are. Mine is in .50 cal, blued black with a black synthetic stock. I find it to be very dependable until it's been fired about 20 times in succession, at which point the powder residue might need to be cleaned out of the action and away from the primer insert. This is easily accomplished in the field with a blast of your favorite aerosol gun cleaner, a nylon brush, a short length of pipe cleaner, and some paper towels. It's a pretty simple gun, and very enjoyable to shoot, at least for me. The company itself has gone under, but one can find these guns fairly easily, I think. The factory ramrod that comes with it is the only thing with which I am at odds - it's a pretty flimsy hollow aluminum piece of tubing. However, a solid-aluminum replacement can be found on eBay for around $20. Google it and see what you think!
  3. 5string

5string New Member

Thompson makes the Encore muzzle loader. breaks over like the H&R single shot shotgun.
  4. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Isn't the Encore a multiple use weapon, i.e. used with either muzzleloader barrels or center fire/high power barrels.

I am want ONLY muzzleloader.

Thanks.
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    ist off,knight rifle is still in business,they now only make one very high end rifle and it is more a status symbol to me than a muzzleloader.traditions makes a rifle called the vortec,it can be cleaned from the breech using only fingers to remove the breech plug and is very dependable.i have the same gun but as a pistol and its awesome. old semperfi
  6. 5string

5string New Member

If you only have a muzzle loader barrel , then it is only a muzzle loader. Unless you are restricted from owning a gun that can be converted to a centerfire cartridge.
  7. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

rossi also makes a platform that can be had with the muzzleloader only setup. its called the Wizard. of course you also have 17 others to choose from!
  8. XP100

XP100 Member

T/C makes a break open 50 cal. called the Impact. Nice gun. They start about 240.0o for bl/syn. I have sold several any everyone is pleased so far.