looking for the best 22 or 22mag pistol!

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by BBD 25, Dec 31, 2010.

1. BBD 25

BBD 25 New Member

Id like to have a pistol to carry in the woods for when i scout, camp and coon hunt in summer! And maybe plink some squirels. i think i would rather have a magnum but dont know. Ive heard that the combo 22/22mag pistols are not very accurate so id rather go with one or the other. Whats your opinion on the pistol i need?
  2. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

in my experience there's not much more you could ask for than a good Ruger Mark III 22/45 in .22lr a stunningly good pistol. 450 rounds of VERY bad ammo and not a single jam or malfunction.

now if you want a .22WMR, i've heard that the PMR-30 is good... and it holds 30 rounds. and looks stunning.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

I usually always suggest a revolver for the first time owner of a pistol and I would suggest a Ruger single six with both cylinders only if you are dead set with your 22 mag idea. A 22 mag in a pistol in my opinion is of no value over a standard 22. The gun will shoot more accurate than the average shooter can shoot it. The only bad thing about the Ruger or any like single action is they only hold 6 rounds and they are slow to load and unload. If you were to get serious like maybe taking a range class or two then I would suggest a Ruger semi auto. It will have a much lighter trigger pull and is much faster to load especially if you carry extra clips. The bad thing about an auto from a safety standpoint is that it reloads itself every time you pull the trigger until the clip is empty and being always mindful of that fact is a must for safety sake. As for accuracy they are very good. I also would suggest you find a good used one and save yourself enough money to buy ammo and targets.

There several other very good auto loaders out there but for the dollar the Ruger is hard to beat.

Ron
  4. BBD 25

BBD 25 New Member

thanks guys,
    Im sorry i forgot to mention i have a taurus 24/7 pro 40cal. love the gun but want something a little less recoil and noise. and also to shoot smaller game without destroying it.

Also, i know 22mag bullet was made for a rifle, so how much difference is there in the .22 and .22mag pistols velosity/energy.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    single six is the ticket,it will shoot better than most can shoot it.i have had one for over thirty years and it has fed me many times.i also would give the mark ll a thought in bull barrel six inch.now having said all that chk out keystone arms . old semperfi
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

id suggest the single six. the early production new model i have is very accurate. [​IMG] it went back to ruger a while back and got an overhaul of the innards. before it went back it was a fine shooter. now she's double fine. i dont have the magnum cylinder for it. wish i did though.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have a friend who is also a dealer, and he just bought the Kel-Tec PMR 30 a few weeks ago. He likes it, but says that he has had a few jams. He thinks that once he gets the pistol shot in the jam problem should go away.
  8. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

I still can't imagine the need for a 30 round clip in .22wmr
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Zombie Squirrels!

Attached Files:

10. dualsportrider

dualsportrider New Member

I have the Ruger single six in SS. Mine is accurate with both 22 and 22 mag. I can dance a coke can out a good 50 yards before I start missing it. Im sure a scope would help in that department. Remember you can adjust your sights on these. Mine was shooting high and to the left out of the box. A couple of clicks on windage and elevation solved that problem. I believe the 22 mag comes out at 1600 fps depending on the brand. Much more than a 22 out of a handgun barrel. But then again hyper velocity 22 lr is faster out of a rifle than 22 mag is out of a handgun.
  11. BBD 25

BBD 25 New Member

Thanks guys. Ill start looking for a single 6 then. sounds like the earlier models are a little better. Which it doesnt matter im not looking to buy a new gun anyways. Whats a good price i should expect to pay for a used single six?
  12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

a used six will run you in the 250- 350 range depending on condition and configuration. i gave 200 for mine because it has a ssn scratched on the butt.
  13. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

My reason is the same as the FBI's reason they looked at the Grendel P-30 back in the 90's...

Heck of a backup!! .22wmr x 30 rounds = pretty darn effective way if keeping bad guys offa yer @$$ :)

Also good for rabid wild critters/dogs/cats/evil tree rats ;)

Of course, Bill Clinton killed Grendel...so the FBI never finished the testing...
    but if ya wanna send a FOIA request, they'll send you a copy of the report :)