Looking into a new rifle, soon.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Sometime between now and my birthday, next year (April). I'm aiming for American (yay, right?) Not costing to much money (I try to stay around $500, or less), in .308Win, not fluted (complicated to explain, but lets just say I don't want it to be weaker than my Mosin M38...that and the fact it looks fugly) and has iron sights with provisions to install weaver mounts. Stock wise, it doesn't matter, synthetic or wood is fine. (I lug around a 7.5lb rifle, at the range. Weight is not a problem.)

I was looking at a Mossberg ATR in .308, but there site indicated that they only do fluted barrels in .308 with weaver mounts in either walnut or black synthetic stocks. So, any suggestions would be helpful.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it has to be bolt action.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    to me the savage is a very good choice,i own three in the 110 tactical class.i have had no problems at all.the new triggers are adjustable and savage makes one of the best barrels in the industry.i have been involved in the forum for quite a while now and i dont think ive seen one problem with the later model savage. old semperfi
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Savage 110 or Remington 700. Savage really probably has the edge currently, but I'm a Remington fan.
  4. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Ishapore Lee Enfield in 308 , get a T model and it'll have the good chrome bore then do what you want to it it'll outshoot anyone who holds it and will cost a fortune in ammo to wear out
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Savage 110
  7. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

The new Weatherby Vanguard. I've never seen one that would not shoot lights out.
  8. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I agree with Jack on this one. OP stipulated iron sights, and under $500.
  10. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i like both.

if the op is looking for super cheap.. them new walmart black stocked guns with scopes are less than ? 300$
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    OP wants iron sights, and will spend no more than $500.
  12. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

And the ability to install Weaver mounts for a scope, if I so want one.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.
  13. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

I have seen one or two on the some trading sites.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  14. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Someone mentioned Savage and they are nice. I have a friend that owns a gunstore and he recommends the new Ruger American. I bet you could grab it in .308, 30-06, or .270. Any of those 3 would compete with a Nagant. Ruger makes a good product. I don't have an American yet, have the old M77s though and they ROCK!!!
    I wouldn't recommend any NEW Remingtons. Their quality is total garbage. They are living on their name alone. They have crap customer service too, and normally won't even respond to inquiries anymore. They are too big for their britches. I hope Ruger and Savage knock off a big chunk of their market share because they deserve it. Remington's ammunition is going to crap too. Poor quality compared to Federal and other manufacturers. Pretty easy to get a 15% failure to fire rate from bulk Remington .22 shells. I had one Federal that I had to double tap in about 20 bricks. That isn't even 1% failure.
    One guy told me his new 770 in .300 Win Mag I believe had to be opened by beating the bolt with a small 2x4 after each shot. That is quality! That is after they worked on it....came back as it left. He didn't think they even looked at it.
  15. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

I was going to suggest this, but MSRP $999
    http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/index.html

It's really hard to find models with iron sights, most manufacturer's seem to leave them off nowadays. Especially the budget rifles (~$300) Savage Axis, Mossberg ATR, Marlin X7, Weatherby Vanguard, etc. But if you're looking at used guns, it should be easier to find one under $500.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012