The Firearms Forum banner

Looking sugestions on a revolver for deer hunting

3K views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  Zigzag2 
G
#1 ·
Peetmoss
(12/21/02 5:45:40 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Looking sugestions on a revolver for deer hunting
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am thinking about a 44 mag with an 8" barrel prefferably stainless. I also want a DA revolver. Looking to spend about 600 max any suggestions?

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(12/21/02 6:40:19 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Looking sugestions on a revolver for deer hunting
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will admit no not pricing them but S&W and Colt are the ones I lust after.

Welcome to TFF. One of our pistoleros will be around to be more specific
In 49 states ignorance is a crime.In the other one it is bliss.

JackRyann
V.I.P. Member
(12/21/02 9:53:57 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Looking sugestions on a revolver for deer hunting
Ruger Redhawk. Shoot mine darn near every day. Killed a dozen deer with it or more.

I've got a S&W too and I wouldn't trade my redhawk for 10 Smiths
---If you wouldn't take that shot with the LAST bullet in your gun, you don't have any business taking it with the FIRST.---

Edited by: JackRyann at: 12/21/02 9:55:09 pm

1badassmagnum
(12/22/02 2:04:03 am)
Reply | Edit | Del redhawk or taurus 480
the redhawk is an awesome pistol,I also like the taurus 480 ruger raging bull.

Peetmoss
(12/22/02 11:13:52 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Taurus or Redhawk?
My two thoughts were the Redhawk and the Taurus Raging Bull in 44. I like the looks of the Taurus alittle better. Is the Redhawk a revolver of higher quality? And if so is the Redhawk so much better that I should get it over the Raging Bull.

1badassmagnum
(12/22/02 1:04:05 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Taurus or Redhawk?
www.handgunreview.com/index.html
the ruger's are known for making quality firearms.the design in my opinion is dated.I have shot a few taurus pistols and revolvers and like them alot.I recently bought my wife a pt92 9mm(baretta 92 clone).
the taurus comes with a lifetime warraanty and the grips and ported barrel are a nice touch.
maybe rent them and see which one you like more,you really wont go wrong with either of these pistols.

JackRyann
V.I.P. Member
(12/23/02 1:17:49 am)
I don't own a Taurus but friends of mine have them in 357 and those absolutely kick a$$ in the accuracy dept.

Check out the Hornaday reloading manual. They have a few really hot mag load tables as far as I remember the only guns they listed for those loads are RUGER and Thompson Center. I don't know about you but THAT tells me a little something.
---If you wouldn't take that shot with the LAST bullet in your gun, you don't have any business taking it with the FIRST.---

rayra
V.I.P. Member
(12/23/02 10:12:01 pm)
Redhawk. Take any load you can feed it. comes with rings / milled mount locations too, IIRC.
Rich

Edited by: rayra at: 12/23/02 10:13:56 pm

1badassmagnum
(12/24/02 6:15:38 am)
members.tripod.com/arc_sc..._0399.html

Edited by: 1badassmagnum at: 12/24/02 6:16:08 am

IShootBack
V.I.P. Member
(1/7/03 8:00:52 pm)
Howdy
I used a Rugerblackhawk in .357 for hunting whitetailed deer for about 15 years. Longest one shot kill - 75 yards. If I was to hunt deer again with revolver, I'd go with a Ruger Redhawk, .44 mag, and top it with a good dot type optics.
Good Luck
ISB

Guns cause crime, like spoons made Rosie fat

whiskey101
(1/7/03 8:46:31 pm)
The UN-SUPER, standard Redhawk.....But I like the Super Blackhawk
So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street.

Bill
(1/25/03 4:37:55 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Deer Pistol
I think the suggestions for the Redhawk are on the mark. But consider a Dan Wesson .44mag or .357 mag. Get interchangable barrels and you can have an 8 or 10 inch for your Deer hunt and smaller barrels for paper punching practice etc. Strong like a Redhawk but more flexible in application. Bill

IShootBack
V.I.P. Member
(1/25/03 6:03:33 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Deer Pistol
Bill - I had a DW in .357. Just did not like it. Always went for the Blackhawk - it just felt better in my hand.
Guns cause crime, like spoons made Rosie fat

whiskey101
(1/27/03 5:28:55 pm)
Good Choice. Now for all the things you can do to make it better.

Start with a Belt Mountain base pin. It really tightens thing up.

A set of Wolff reduced weight springs make sthe action alot nicer, however, lots of folks only change the trigger spring and leave the heavier main spring for faster lock-up. I don't have problems with the lighter main springs, and they feel so much better.

If you want to upgrade the sights, Hamilton Bowen makes a great replacement rear sight. I just paint the front sight.

A nice set of fancy grips and you are ready.

Which blackhawk did you get?
***** NOTE: The above statement is my opinion; please feel free to share it. However, it is not meant as a required replacement for your opinion. If you do not agree with my opinion, form your own. *****

So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street.

Bill
(1/27/03 5:39:33 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re:Deer Pistol
Funny,
I had a .357 Blackhawk and a .44 mag Super Blackhawk. They were OK but I like the D/W much better. For one thing the Blackhawks are slow to reload. The new models require you to line up the ejector with each cylinder.
Also I had problems with the 'hawks occasionally not wanting to rotate after a round was shot ie, if the case or primer backed out slightly, it caused a problem.
I loved the accuracy of my .44 but the .357 for some reason didn't shoot as accurately.
Goes to show everybody has their personal likes and dislikes.

AGunguy
*TFF Staff*
(1/28/03 11:37:00 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Re:Deer Pistol
Bill, you don't happen to work for DW...do you.

GG

Bill
(1/28/03 6:35:18 pm)
AGunguy (GG)
Wrote something like "Hey Bill, you don't work for D/W do you?"
Geezo pete I'm been found out. Time to go back into hiding.
Bill

JackRyann
V.I.P. Member
(1/28/03 7:17:00 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Re:Deer Pistol
Blackhawk slow to reload?

6 shots from a 357 and yer in a hurry to reload? It is a single action cowboy gun ya know maybe ya should have gone with the Ak and a couple clips taped togethey they look way cool on the A-team.

As far as primers backing out on the redhawk, if they do that on that hunk of iron they are going to on a D/W too. I'd just soon have a good tight gun with precision tolerances and buy good ammo. Maybe the looseness that allows for continued firing after primers backing out and the bullet unseating could explain the need for quick reloads after emptying a gun that holds 6 shots.

Just guessing here since I've never needed that second shot from my redhawk yet.
-12 gauge when you want to REALLY get serious.

Bill
(1/28/03 8:14:13 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Deer pistol
Jack,
I was referring to Blackhawks having a problem...My previous post lauded the Redhawk as a good choice.

Years ago I sold my Super Blackhawk to a friend. He used it in Alaska like I did as final protection against bear encounters while fishing. Just a few days ago he told me he too found out while practicing that with maximum loads it would sometimes not rotate and the cylinder would have to be removed to clear the problem. He sold it and got a Redhawk, which is his favorite revolver he's ever owned. I'd love to have a Redhawk but think the D/W is superior as a hunting/protection revolver over the Blackhawk. Blackhawk/Redhawk...big difference.

AGunguy
*TFF Staff*
(1/28/03 11:17:51 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Deer pistol
Hey, if we find some guy with a Dan Wesson that the cylinder won't rotate on full power loads are we assume it is a poor product because of that particular brand or model of firearm.

The Ruger cannot logically be condemed because one person had a gun with a problem that he sold to a friend that found out he had the same cylinder problem as the original owner.

Some friend, not telling him about your problem gun. Ever hear of getting it repaired.

I have owned Ruger .44 mag Blackhawk (serial # under 1K) and also Colt Anaconda .44 mag and never had a cylinder rotation problem with full power loads.

People have to have an ulterior motive to slamn another product if they are working for Dan Wesson.

Gunguy

JackRyann
V.I.P. Member
(1/29/03 1:08:55 am)
Just anecdotal evidence of one gun but I had a SS Blackhawk in 357 I shot the holy crap out of. First gun I ever reloaded for and never had a single failure of the gun of any kind.

And I'm an expiriment'n kind a guy.

Not an implication there is a single thing wrong with DW guns. I've heard nothig but good things about 'em and wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Just noticed that in my opinion every single problem listed relating to the ruger is an amunition problem and in no way related to the weapon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill
(1/29/03 6:53:14 pm)
I didn't slam the Blackhawks. I merely mentioned some problems I've had with them and in my opinion I prefer my D/W over them. I also would prefer a Redhawk over a Blackhawk despite the price differential.
This is not to imply the Blackhawk is necessarily a flawed gun. I shot my 3 Blackhawks (.357 mag, .41 mag,. .44 mag) for years and enjoyed them very much. Just because I rate a D/W or a Redhawk as a better gun for deer hunting or bear protection doesn't diminish the great reputation of the Blackhawk guns....Different strokes for different folks. Calm down now, "Can't we all just get along?"

Bill
(1/29/03 7:07:21 pm)
Gunguy wrote:
"People have to have an ulterior motive to slam another product if they are working for Dan Wesson"

Work for Dan Wesson...When I wrote, "I'm been found out"... That was a joke, I don't even know where the company is located. Do I detect thread creep?
I'm getting sore from laughter.
Bill

---------------------------------------------------------
Nice to see you know how to use emoto coms to express humor when humor is intended. Just be civil and we will all get along...capeesh.

Edited by: AGunguy at: 1/30/03 9:50:18 am

AGunguy
*TFF Staff*
(1/29/03 8:50:41 pm)
Then somebody speaks with fork tongue, if you can't be forthright with what you say on this thread whose credibility is in question, sure isn't mine laughing boy.

GG

Bill
(1/30/03 6:51:04 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re:Deer pistol
Didn't you notice GG that when I wrote, "I'm been found out"....It was followed by a winking eye emoto com?
Can't see how I could have made it more obvious that I was just kidding. I'm not questioning your credibility, but think you got wired up on this one way too easy. And please don't call me boy.....
Dan Wessons are good, Rugers too. We all have our preferences and this forum allows us to express them, sometimes with a bit of tongue in cheek.
I'm done, preaching caput. Bill

AGunguy
*TFF Staff*
(1/30/03 8:32:06 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Re:Deer pistol
Bill, I hope you'll forgive an ole man for getting wired up too easy on that one, and you are absolutely right...I did.

You see, there was this cretin that worked for DW that I had a serious run in with that outfit quite a few years back...and his name was Bill. Get the picture now?

I've got a thin skin when it comes to the word DW being mentioned.

So, hope you forgive me and accept my apologies for riding you and calling you boy.

You have every right to shout your praises about your favorite firearm...even though I don't personally agree with you...heh heh.

Sorry to be such a horses patoot about this dumb episode on my part, I am totally chagrinned.

Gunguy

Bill
(1/30/03 8:44:28 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re:Deer pistol
Hey Gun guy,
All is forgiven. I've browsed thru the archives of centerfire pistol emails and have read many of your helpful and informative postings. Trust me I'm no flamer and I love the way this forum operates.
Take care, Bill...(Not an employee of D/W)...but a big fan of many of their products.

AGunguy
*TFF Staff*
(1/30/03 8:57:11 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Re:Deer pistol
Thanks, Bill. And please allow me to be civil and whole hearted welcome you to this humble abode that is called TFF.

There are big things coming in the near future and we all need to hang together...or we hang separately...who said that.

Best to you.

Gunguy

docreg
(2/1/03 2:23:59 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Lookinf for suggestions on a revolver for deer hunting
Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag, hands down, unless you want a scope. Then get the Super Redhawk .44 Mag. Both can be had for under $600, but does not include the price of the scope.

They are tough, come with 7 1/2 inch barrel, 6 shot, and in stainless steel. My favorite .44 mags. I also own S&W, .44 mag, but am boycotting any NEW S&W purchases until they apologize publicly for the Clinton Caper. Yeah, I know they have new owners, but I haven't seen the New Owners apologize for it either.

Go with the Ruger(s). You won't regret it.

Doc Reg

AGunguy
*TFF Staff*
(2/1/03 12:12:39 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Lookinf for suggestions on a revolver for deer hunting
Did we ever get an apology from Bill Ruger on his fopa of rolling over for the limited magazines capacity.

GG

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.