Looking to buy a 45 handgun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by scubadiver12165, Aug 9, 2012.

1. scubadiver12165

scubadiver12165 New Member

After going to the shooting range a few times and taken an intro to handgun class, I'm finally ready to buy a handgun to use at the range for practice and for home protection. I enjoy shooting a 45 so that is what I'm looking as far as caliber size. I had one person recommended a sig and another a glock. I'm hoping that the folks here can give me your advice on which to get. Aren't both of them roughly the same. I have medium size hand and whatever gun I bought, I want my wife to be able to use it too. I've been looking at the Glock G21sf and the G30SF. As far as sig goes, I don't know which model that I should even be looking at. Any recommendations and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  2. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    You are opening up a pandoras (sp) with that question!!!! You will get all sorts of opinions from the only gun in 45 to own is a 1911 (IMHO my choice being I own several) to a Glock is the only true pistol ever made, to Sig is best to a thousand other opinions.
    Here is some fo the best advice I can give you as a dealer.
    Go to a gun shop with a WIDE range of makes and models in stock. Feel each one, handle them, ask questions, think long and hard on wheather you need 6-8 rounds like in a 1911 or as many as 15 as in S&W M&P, Glocks, or Springfield XDs. Concider weight of the firearm AND it's weight loaded fully with ammo. Concider if you plan on carrying it concealed some day so size can be a factor.
    Bottom line is find the pistol that fits YOU not the pistol that fits public opinion. ONLY you know what you want it for, how you will or may use it, and your price range. A shop with a wide range of makes and models in stock should have knowledgeable personal there to help you in finding what you want and need according to your wants and needs.

Now my 2 cents is buy a good 1911 and you will never regret it so there is opinion 1. A good Kimber, colt, or other higher end make but that is what I prefer. I carry a kimber CDP II as my defense gun. Then again they are over $1000 as to price.

Hope this helps.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't know if price of the gun is a big factor or not. In the Sig, I would recommend the P250. It was not a great seller for Sig Sauer so you can probably find them at a reasonable price. I have one in .45 and I have another that has two complete "uppers", one in 9mm and one in .40 S&W. One of the neat thing about the P250 is that you can change out the slides assemblies and the polymer grip assemblies to find one that will fit just about any body. Go over to the Sig website and see what I am talking about: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p250.aspx
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Yes, the P250 is an excellent choice and affordable and versatile ....
    if your wife doesn't like [this] you can buy the kit for [that].
    It is an awesome, all around , good choice , especially for a first one.
    But not my first choice, which would be a well made 1911, not a cheap clone.
    If you are like most of us, you will not only like it, but you won't get rid of it,
    you will just add to it [more than one].
    Bud's gun shop now has all the 1911's listed together
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/1171/Handguns/1911s
    Pretty convenient and smart.....
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

P.S. Para Ordnance makes a middle-of-the-road 1911
    called GI Expert and is a real sweet shooter for $500
    Nice trigger and a SS barrel altho I have fired less
    than 1000 rounds....but nice.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There are a few things you should know based on what you have told us so far:

Steel guns (or at least aluminum frame/steel slide guns) will out last any plastic gun. We are talking 50 to over 100 years and beyond.

45ACP is a pretty hard recoiling gun for a woman. Don't get me wrong, that does not apply to all women. One time a bunch of us at work went to a range during our lunch brake. One of the programmers, a tall willowy good looking young woman, pulls out a 1911 in 45ACP and starts shooting. There was no intimidation at all. She shot well. On the other hand my friend (who is heavy into 22 and air gun competition, and has elephant hands, feet, and overall size and is extremely naturally strong) bought a used 1911 and developed the world's worst flinch. He eventually sold the gun because he just could not shoot it without flinching. Anyway, recoil and gun weight should be considered if you intend to have your wife shoot it.

I have several 45's: A CZ97B, a EAA CZ97B clone, a Sig P220, and a 1911. The CZ97B and the EAA clone are BIG guns. The Sig is lighter, fits my smaller hands better, and a very nice gun. The 1911 (from almost any manufacturer but mine is a Rock Island) is the most versatile as there are a ton of aftermarket parts for them to make them into anything you want. Mine has all after market internals, thinner grips, and a bullseye rib on the slide with good bullseye sights. I also have a Colt 1911 in 10mm that is an excellent gun too. Neither of the 1911's is as light as the Sig P220.

LDBennett
  7. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I have a Glock 30SF and I have found it to be rather pleasant to shoot with acceptable accuracy. The wide grip dispurses recoil which would be good for small hands. As much as the Glock is pleasant to shoot I still like my old M1911 Colt the best. Being old fashioned, I think an all steel pistol is better than all of that plastic found in new pistols.
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Glock is lighter and plenty accurate, both the 21 and 21SF are fine guns. Can't really go wrong with a 1911 though either; a tad bit heavier empty but when you add rounds, they will wind up about the same on your belt including spare mags. Glock will likely be a little bit less expensive.

both have TONS of aftermarket goodies available.

My recommendation would be to stick with a steel frame if you go the 1911 route, there's a lot of carry 1911's with alloy frames; steel will be best even though heavier. For glock, go big; I'm packing a G35 these days and I can conceal it just as easy as my G23 or 1911; it's actually very very close to a 1911 size wise, so is the G21.

Glocks are easier to clean/maintain also IMO.

But my S.A. TRP 1911 is a cadillac to shoot, much more beautiful gun although beauty doesn't really matter when it's barking.

or, as I suggested to someone on another thread; buy both! problem solved...
  9. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm new to 1911's, after my Army days, and got a Citadel Compact. Very impressed with this pistol at it's price. I've got small hands and this pistol is good in my hand; but I think it would be comfortable in a larger hand. And recoil is manageable.
  10. savage170

savage170 Member

I like the 45 I think out of this bunch the old 1917 is my favorite
    [​IMG]
  11. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

If I were buying a steel gun, I would of course go with the 1911. If I were going with a poly gun, I would look at the springfield XDM 45.
  12. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am not sure which I like better, my 1911, or my Springfield XD 45. Both work flawlessly. I have shot maybe 1000+ rounds through my XD without a hickup, and the 1911 is still too new to make such a statement. The 1911 has a much better feel, it is more sleek (less blocky, is that a word?) and is accurate, but the XD is scary accurate with 13+1 rounds. The Springfield CCW's with heavier clothing, but I have not chosen a CCW holster for the 1911 yet.

I agree with Dan, but if I had to choose between both pistols, I believe the 1911 would have to be it. Bottom line, nicer gun, attractive looking, it will be around much longer, but I am glad I can have both.
  13. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

Great response! I want both of them. Now if that employer would just call me with good news.......
  14. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would definately go with the XD(M) over the XD if you were going that route.
  15. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Glocks are not the same as Sigs. Not by a long shot. They have different design philosophies. Glocks are designed to work under any circumstances. They are pretty accurate but a Sig is designed to be more accurate. It's also designed to work no matter what but it leans more to the accuracy side than Glock does. The thing is that you can either have a tight tolerance and be more accurate or you can have loose tolerances and be more reliable.

The good news is you can't really go wrong with either company. Personally a Sig P220 is the perfect .45 for a combat type handgun. 1911's have become more about being target pistols in the last few decades. I still remember when they were considered strictly combat pistols though but then I'm old.

I think you'll find that in polls where people are asked to pick the best pistol made a lot of the time a Sig P220 will be at the top of that list. It is a fantastic gun. It is rugged beyond belief and extremely accurate. But the Glocks are very fine guns. Again you can't go wrong with either.

I would pick based on features and how the gun feels in your hand. A gun that doesn't fit you well is likely to hurt your hand when you shoot it and that means you won't practice enough. And practice is very important to any SD gun.