Looking to buy a new Tumbler *link to fine corn cob inside*

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Next week I'm going to drive up to Cabellas and look at the brass tumblers. I see where they sell a Lyman for $40.00, do you think that would be a good buy? The media for the tumbler cost around $20.00 (corn cob). What kind of tumbler and media do you guys use?

Deacon Man
  2. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 New Member

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

4. Twicepop

Twicepop Member

Re: Looking to buy a new Tumbler

Thirty + years ago I purchased a Thumler's Tumbler, and am still using it. Every few years I have to replace the drive belt, for this I go to the local hardware store and get large neoprene O rings that I match to the size of the drive belt, works like a charm. The tumbling media I use is straight ground corn cob media for cleaning dirty stuff, such as range brass and the like. A25/75% mixture of the ground corn cob and treated crushed walnut hulls for general cleaning with little polishing effect. Then for polishing my brass I use the jewlers rouge impregnated walnut hulls. Don't put dirty brass into the walnut hull media, treat it with polishing rejuvinator occasionally and it lasts for a very long time before having to discard it.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  5. X Ring

X Ring Member

6. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

lyman turbo 1200
  7. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Go to Harborfreight there only 49.95 and there great.And there warrented.Alot cheaper than the big names and they work great.I even got a replacement tub full of crushed walnuts for 19.95 which is cheaper than buying a box of it.
  8. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

9. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

My Tumbler history and opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

I have owned and still own a few tumblers.
    Frankfort Arsenal (Midway).
    RCBS
    Cabala's
    Berry's

The FA was slow and loud. The motor quite after a few years. I purchased a new motor, it lasted a few more years and quit. My experience, slow, loud and not very durable.

The RCBS is fast, it is also very loud, very loud. The motor quite after several years, I purchased a new one from RCBS for less than $20. It is still going strong and works very well. It is loud, I can't leave it run in the garage overnight cuz it keeps my wife awake. My experience, fast, durable and loud.

I purchased the Cabala's when my RCBS was down with a BO motor. This unit is fast really fast, it is also extremely quiet. I can have it running in my man cave and still listen to the radio. My experience, fast, quiet and still running after many years.

I purchased a Berry's because I needed another tumbler, OK I didn't need one I wanted one. This unit is fast, very fast and very quiet. In fact it is identical to the Cabala's tumbler as Berry's is the manufacturer of the Cabala's unit. My experience, Fast and quiet.

IMO, if you want speed, quiet, and durability go Cabala's or Berry's which ever one is cheaper.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we

IMHO, don't buy cheap! Mine is almost 25 years old, and the only thing I have had to change is the media!! It's still going strong. I paid $60 for it back then.
  11. RandyP

RandyP Member

No complaints about my Lyman Turbo 1200. For media I use about a 50/50 mix of corncob and walnut (lizard litter)
  12. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

+1. The thumlers is in a league of its own, performance for 20+ years is normal. The finest method of cleaning brass to date is a thumlers, with stainless steel pins, water, and dawn dishsoap. Cleans brass inside and out including primer pockets. The brass is pristine after 1 hour and the unti runs quiet enough to keep inside your home. A great investment if you want to avoid the poking corn or walnut from flasholes, the dust and media remnants in your reloading equipment and work area and buying new media or chemical additive constantly to keep it working. Take a look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUItmkwdeL0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  13. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Thanks for all your advice / suggestions. I have desided to buy the Lyman Turbo 1200 at Harbour Freight.
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am working on my third Lyman. The first one lasted me about 15 years and the motor just up and died. I went straight to the Lyman's web site and ordered just a Turbo 1200 base and used that one for about 12 or 13 years and a couple of weeks ago it started acting up (the thing will vibrate fine for a little while and slow down then speed up then slow down and so on), so I went to the Lyman web site and ordered another Turbo 1200 base and have been using that one for about 3 or 4 weeks now. Have the same two bowls that I bought with the original Lyman close to 30 years ago.

If you are mechanically inclined and think you might be able figure out what the motor is doing on the one I just replaced, I will be happy to send it to you, but it is just the base (no bowls).
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Grab the cabelas green tumbler. I have been using one for abouut 6 years now.
  16. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Yup!
  17. jcwit

jcwit New Member

Buy the Cabela's 400 tumbler made by Berries, made here in the U.S.A. by U.S. workers, if that means anything to you. Also if you buy it from Cabela's it carries a lifetime satification warranty, beat that!

Regarding media, check out

http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

$32.00 bucks plus change shipped right to your door, shipping encl. Fine enough there is no worry about clogged primer pockets or media stuck in flash holes. Bags 40 lbs, won't need to order another for a long time.

Add a teaspoon of Nu-Finish and you're good to go.
  18. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Not to mention it is Fast and Very Quiet!
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Think ill sticky this thread just to keep the link handy.

Thanks jcwit!
  20. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i got a vibro tumbler from harbor freight for 50-55$ glad I did.. I like it better than the old rock tumbler I used to have long ago.. though I'm sure all of them work fine.

I run a mix of lyman treated cob media ( 18$ ), white rice ( 8$ per 25# ) and plain untreated cob media, fine ground litter type $?? stole some from the bag of cat litter when the wife got it home from petsmart.. BEFORE the cat used it!! :)