Looking to buy a new Tumbler *link to fine corn cob inside*

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Jun 30, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Cat turds will really add a shine to your brass.. and the smell keeps other greedy brass hogs at the range away from your brass too. :D
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

that might be a plus!
  3. clepidus

clepidus Member

Not sure if you already picked up a tumbler or not but thought I would share the one I use.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...t/731769.uts?WTz_l=Header;Search-All Products

I bought it with cabelas points a couple years ago and it works awesome. I haven't had any problems with it yet and I have done thousands of pistol and rifle rounds through it. I did upgrade the separator pretty quickly. I went to a big plastic colander that I picked up at the local dollar store. I can sift through the brass much faster with less mess.

The unit is fairly quiet although I dont use it while I am loading. I usually turn it on when I go out running errands. Takes about 2 hours to get moderately dirty brass clean and range brass takes about 4 hours. I am still using the cob media it came with although I have added some walnut media to it so I have about a 50/50 mix.

Walnut shell media and corn cob both are much cheaper at pet stores. I have a friend who picks up 50 lb backs for about $20.00 and I get a gallon ziploc back from him every once in a while. I guess he thinks I use it faster than I do because I have about 5 bags laying around.

Mike
  4. soundguy

so OP you get one yet?
  5. Chadk

Chadk New Member

do you then have to own a media seperator?
  6. soundguy

a collander works.. though lyman makes a specific one you set on a pucket and pour thru.
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

You don't have to. I did two batches of brass without one. Pick out each case, dump it out, put it in the bucket.

But that way sucks. The media separator is worthwhile.
  8. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I use white rice for media
  9. soundguy

i cut my treated lyman corn cob media withun treated corn cob litter media, plus white rice. 25# bag of rice is like 7# at walmart... 25# bag of untreaded pet litter corn cob media is abot 8$.. and the lyman media, treated corn cob is about 18& per 4# .. I mix em up and really, really extend my media. you can buy media reactivator and add in a bit too. can also add in a lil brass polish compound to the media.. makes a great shine.

I usually ultrasonic clean all my brass as well.
  10. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Re: Looking to buy a new Tumbler

I just got the Cabelas,,comes with a bag of Nuts and a bottle of polish,,I,ts quiet doesn,t walk across the floor and it works great,,thanks for the info Guys
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I wanna get a media separator. I have a sifter bowl but it makes a friggin mess if i shake it around too violently. and picken em out one by one sucks especially if youre tumbling about a thousand .380s
  12. soundguy

get 2 5g buckets.. the lyman sifter sets on a 5g bucket mouth perfectly.

then pour your tumbler basket into that or another bucket.. then pour thru..
  13. dayooper

dayooper New Member

I have owned a large capacity Thumler's Tumbler for many years and never had to replace anything. For tumbling media, I found a 50 lb bag of crushed walnut shells for only $16.50 at an abrasive equipment distributor in Tucson. You could look online or in the yellow pages under "abrasives" and probably find a similar price in your area. This is alot cheaper than buying from one of the internet reloading distributors and paying shipping costs on top of what you see.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  14. oldman570

oldman570 New Member

The newer 1200 Lyman trubo with the seperator built in is the best I have used in over 35+ years of reloading. I've use most all of the other tumblers made and have sent them to the scrapyard farly quick. The new sonic liquid units do a super job, but alot of orep and cleanup makes them a big pain. The fine media from Drillspot with 3 parts Brasso polish to 1 part paint thinner mixed and allowed to mix in with the media really dose a fast and supper job of cleaning and dose not stick in the primer holes as other media dose. JMO
    Oldman570
  15. soundguy

the group had a cow when i mentioned ZI also used a lil brass polish on.. well.. brass. that tip was given to me from an old guy that relaods lots of wildcats... I imagine after use any amonia flashes off.. but whatever.. may cause less chest clutching to switch to nufinish car polish or something.. ;)
  16. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

Re: Looking to buy a new Tumbler

Hmmm, I also have a RCBS tumbler with a burned out motor. I called Customer Service regarding the motor but they didn't offer any solution. I still have the thing gathering dust under my bench, think I'll ding them again for a new motor!

I use a large mesh bag for media separation, works fine for me.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  17. Buzzard II

Buzzard II New Member

Thumblers Tumbler from Buffalo Arms and stainless steel pins. Dish detergent and Lemishine from Wally World. Cleans primer pockets and brass comes out like new. Real good on blackpowder!
  18. bradley485

bradley485 New Member

If you guys are cleaning large amounts of brass then you may want to consider a cement fixer. You can purchase a small one at Harbor Freight for cheap and it will do a lot of brass quick. I sell brass so I work with large amounts, but I use a few of their large models and hook timers for the power.
    I use white rice and brasso and it does a great job. I buy the rice at 18.00 for 50 lbs so it is a great way to clean cheaply.
  19. soundguy

they do have plastic tubs too!
  20. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

Last year I bought my second Lyman Turbo Tumbler 1200. The first only lasted 14 years.