Looking to buy a new Tumbler *link to fine corn cob inside*

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Jun 30, 2012.

1. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Re: Looking to buy a new Tumbler

Yup!
  2. jcwit

jcwit New Member

Buy the Cabela's 400 tumbler made by Berries, made here in the U.S.A. by U.S. workers, if that means anything to you. Also if you buy it from Cabela's it carries a lifetime satification warranty, beat that!

Regarding media, check out

http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

$32.00 bucks plus change shipped right to your door, shipping encl. Fine enough there is no worry about clogged primer pockets or media stuck in flash holes. Bags 40 lbs, won't need to order another for a long time.

Add a teaspoon of Nu-Finish and you're good to go.
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Not to mention it is Fast and Very Quiet!
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Think ill sticky this thread just to keep the link handy.

Thanks jcwit!
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i got a vibro tumbler from harbor freight for 50-55$ glad I did.. I like it better than the old rock tumbler I used to have long ago.. though I'm sure all of them work fine.

I run a mix of lyman treated cob media ( 18$ ), white rice ( 8$ per 25# ) and plain untreated cob media, fine ground litter type $?? stole some from the bag of cat litter when the wife got it home from petsmart.. BEFORE the cat used it!! :)
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Cat turds will really add a shine to your brass.. and the smell keeps other greedy brass hogs at the range away from your brass too. :D
  7. soundguy

that might be a plus!
  8. clepidus

clepidus Member

Not sure if you already picked up a tumbler or not but thought I would share the one I use.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...t/731769.uts?WTz_l=Header;Search-All Products

I bought it with cabelas points a couple years ago and it works awesome. I haven't had any problems with it yet and I have done thousands of pistol and rifle rounds through it. I did upgrade the separator pretty quickly. I went to a big plastic colander that I picked up at the local dollar store. I can sift through the brass much faster with less mess.

The unit is fairly quiet although I dont use it while I am loading. I usually turn it on when I go out running errands. Takes about 2 hours to get moderately dirty brass clean and range brass takes about 4 hours. I am still using the cob media it came with although I have added some walnut media to it so I have about a 50/50 mix.

Walnut shell media and corn cob both are much cheaper at pet stores. I have a friend who picks up 50 lb backs for about $20.00 and I get a gallon ziploc back from him every once in a while. I guess he thinks I use it faster than I do because I have about 5 bags laying around.

Mike
  9. soundguy

so OP you get one yet?
  10. Chadk

Chadk Member

do you then have to own a media seperator?
  11. soundguy

a collander works.. though lyman makes a specific one you set on a pucket and pour thru.
  12. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

You don't have to. I did two batches of brass without one. Pick out each case, dump it out, put it in the bucket.

But that way sucks. The media separator is worthwhile.
  13. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I use white rice for media
  14. soundguy

i cut my treated lyman corn cob media withun treated corn cob litter media, plus white rice. 25# bag of rice is like 7# at walmart... 25# bag of untreaded pet litter corn cob media is abot 8$.. and the lyman media, treated corn cob is about 18& per 4# .. I mix em up and really, really extend my media. you can buy media reactivator and add in a bit too. can also add in a lil brass polish compound to the media.. makes a great shine.

I usually ultrasonic clean all my brass as well.
  15. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

I just got the Cabelas,,comes with a bag of Nuts and a bottle of polish,,I,ts quiet doesn,t walk across the floor and it works great,,thanks for the info Guys