Looking to buy a new Tumbler *link to fine corn cob inside*

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Jun 30, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I wanna get a media separator. I have a sifter bowl but it makes a friggin mess if i shake it around too violently. and picken em out one by one sucks especially if youre tumbling about a thousand .380s
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

get 2 5g buckets.. the lyman sifter sets on a 5g bucket mouth perfectly.

then pour your tumbler basket into that or another bucket.. then pour thru..
  3. dayooper

dayooper New Member

I have owned a large capacity Thumler's Tumbler for many years and never had to replace anything. For tumbling media, I found a 50 lb bag of crushed walnut shells for only $16.50 at an abrasive equipment distributor in Tucson. You could look online or in the yellow pages under "abrasives" and probably find a similar price in your area. This is alot cheaper than buying from one of the internet reloading distributors and paying shipping costs on top of what you see.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  4. oldman570

oldman570 New Member

The newer 1200 Lyman trubo with the seperator built in is the best I have used in over 35+ years of reloading. I've use most all of the other tumblers made and have sent them to the scrapyard farly quick. The new sonic liquid units do a super job, but alot of orep and cleanup makes them a big pain. The fine media from Drillspot with 3 parts Brasso polish to 1 part paint thinner mixed and allowed to mix in with the media really dose a fast and supper job of cleaning and dose not stick in the primer holes as other media dose. JMO
    Oldman570
  5. soundguy

the group had a cow when i mentioned ZI also used a lil brass polish on.. well.. brass. that tip was given to me from an old guy that relaods lots of wildcats... I imagine after use any amonia flashes off.. but whatever.. may cause less chest clutching to switch to nufinish car polish or something.. ;)
  6. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

Re: Looking to buy a new Tumbler

Hmmm, I also have a RCBS tumbler with a burned out motor. I called Customer Service regarding the motor but they didn't offer any solution. I still have the thing gathering dust under my bench, think I'll ding them again for a new motor!

I use a large mesh bag for media separation, works fine for me.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  7. Buzzard II

Buzzard II New Member

Thumblers Tumbler from Buffalo Arms and stainless steel pins. Dish detergent and Lemishine from Wally World. Cleans primer pockets and brass comes out like new. Real good on blackpowder!
  8. bradley485

bradley485 New Member

If you guys are cleaning large amounts of brass then you may want to consider a cement fixer. You can purchase a small one at Harbor Freight for cheap and it will do a lot of brass quick. I sell brass so I work with large amounts, but I use a few of their large models and hook timers for the power.
    I use white rice and brasso and it does a great job. I buy the rice at 18.00 for 50 lbs so it is a great way to clean cheaply.
  9. soundguy

they do have plastic tubs too!
  10. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

Last year I bought my second Lyman Turbo Tumbler 1200. The first only lasted 14 years.
  11. mike.h

mike.h New Member

I got into reloading about a years ago, using the Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit with Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator. It works very well...one suggestion; is to put a dryer sheet in with your brass, helps with the dust.
  12. soundguy

hmm.. havn't tried that one yet.

next on my list.. ;)
  13. bradley485

bradley485 New Member

Anyone else use rice as media? I use it all the time and it works great and it keeps the dust down. I made a media separator out of a manure spreader. The mesh barrel used for manure spreaders is perfect. I just built a box for it and drop the drum down into two slots I cut then added a simple handle to turn it. I can do 1500 - 2000 rounds at a time.
  14. soundguy

i use a mix of rice in my tumbler... add in some walnet treated media and corn cob as well.

might start adding in a dryer sheet .. sometimes I add some nufinish car polish too
  15. jbbooks4440

jbbooks4440 New Member

Been using the Hornady M-2 Tumbler. For media and polishing have been using Zilla crushed Walnut Reptile bedding (can be picked at @ pet stores)and some Nu Finish Car polish --both were Youtube tips for saving $$. So far its been working out, but again Im just starting out in the reloading hobby...