Looking to get a Remington R700

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Sniper_Wolf_666, May 5, 2012.

1. Sniper_Wolf_666

Sniper_Wolf_666 New Member

I am looking at getting a R700 and Building it to the same specs as the Marine/Army M40/M24. One question I had tho, as I was looking at some custom chassis', was how to tell teh difference between short and long action, as 90% of the custom chassis' I have found are meant for the R700 Short-Action. As well as what the main differences are in performance and what not, between Short and Long Action. Sorry if this is a newb question. I've been shooting for a long time, but just recently started getting really into it and all the technical aspects. I am a musician and at the studio I work at, a lot of them are into shooting, and its renewed my interest since I finally have people to go with (and plus I have my own place now, and my mom never let me have guns in her house, I had to hide the 9mm and SKS I owned for the last couple years I lived there haha)

I was also wondering if someone could give me some more information on what the exact specs and customization that the Marines/Army do to the R700 when they get them from Remington.

What I do know, is the -

Barrel is Made of 416R Stainless Steel. The bore twist is 1-turn-in-11.25 inches and the rifling is five radial lands and grooves (5-R) with a right-hand (RH) twist.

But I am not sure if they do any mods/customization to the Action and bolt head/carrier itself ?

My brother is a UH-60 BlackHawk pilot in the Army and I have asked him to find out for me (at least what he can, not sure if everything they do is allowed to be known outside of the sniper community), but he's hella busy and hasn't found out yet.
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  2. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Why? You can custom build your own bolt-action rifle.

Look up Surgeon actions and Rock Creek barrels. My personal favorites.
  3. Airdale

Airdale Member

Good luck on your project but I warn you it can be addictive (and expensive).

To give you a start take a look at what GA Precision offers.
    http://www.gaprecision.net/mil-spec-rifles/m40a5.html
    The .308 is normally a short action round but the military used a long action to allow for a change to 300 Win Mag. (which they recenly did).

I recently put together a rifle based on the same Idea but allowed myself a little more creativity. Here's the thread.
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=97874
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

First welcome aboard TFF.... and I'm somewhat like you, long time shooter but getting caught up again on some of the many, many aspects in the gun world.

Most of my guns are 30+ old with a few exceptions, plenty of sharp guys on this board. ;)
  6. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

welcome to TFF and I hope you have lots of $$$ to spend on this. Army and USMC. snipers have there platforms custom built to there form and shooting styles. so it gets spendy with all the trial and erer. but good luck and above all HAVE FUN!
  7. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Unless you're a huge Chuck fan, that's the biggest ripoff I've ever seen. Why would you want that for 5k!?

Ridiculous.
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Because chuck did more than his part for our country and he is paying for it every day.

I have meet him and talked to him his wife and his son they are great people. Chuck doesn't act like one of the best snipers of all time. He acts like a normal every day guy.

$5k is step yes. But if I had the spare funds I would have one.
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Why don't you get a rem 700 5r and a McMillan a4 or a5 stock? Duracoat the entire thing camo and get a leupold mk4 or s&b scope.
  10. jbmid1

jbmid1 Active Member

Don't get too obsessed with the military versions.
    You can probably do a lot more in terms of accurizing with a lot less money by looking elsewhere.
    If you plan on changing everything out anyways, buy the least expensive 700 you can in your prefferred caliber, and start working it from the action out
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

You can make the same rifle yourself for about 1/2 that....just sayin':rolleyes:
  12. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Besides the "fashion" part of a sniper rifle clone, why would you want to spend the extra money? Your post sounds as if you are a relative newcomer to shooting, no slight intended. If an accurate rifle is what you want to have, there are quite a few to choose from or other platforms to build upon. The Savage match rifles are really second to none, there are other "off the shelf" rifles that will do as well or better than anything the military has in inventory. You are not limited to military calibers or specification; the sky is the limit for your market. If you want a small caliber, you have numerous options, same for large. You can have money in your pocket and shoot at the ranges of any military firearm with equal or better results.
    Look beyond the "mil spec" and see what else the market has for you; look at Sako or Savage or even the semi custom builders.

Also, remember the deeds of Carlos Hathcock (sp?) with a much simpler rifle.
  13. Sniper_Wolf_666

I am not new to shooting, but new to customization and learning about long range shooting. But regardless, I didn't ask for opinions on what rifle to get, tho I do appreciate the input, but it seems to have deterred from my actual questions and point of this thread lol. I just wanted to get some more info on what mods the military does to ther R700s, and was hoping someone could tell me the difference between short and long action, and how to tell which one a rifle has. All the R700 I have been looking at online (mostly use ImpactGuns and Cheaperthandirt, tho I just ordered a new M6A3 SBR by LWRC from Kensek Guns which is my first time using them, but I definitely plan on doing more biz with them, they are great and have amazing selections and decent prices and would recommend them to others) they don't tell whether or not they are short-action or long-action versions. SO if someone could help me with these two questions, that would be most appreciative.

and for the record, i do know I could make a highly accurate gun without building a exact clone of the M24/M40, but part of the reason I am doing it, is because i want a clone of the M24/M40, not because i think that's the only way to get a accurate gun, I am aware that the military is not the only people with highly accurate, match grade weapons lol

this is the new rifle i just ordered a couple days ago, can't wait for it to come in at my local shop ! It's my first SBR. And my first LWRC rifle - http://www.knesekguns.com/commercial/LWRC-M6A3-556-105-M6A3R5B10S
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  14. Sniper_Wolf_666

While looking at some other firearms on www.Knesekguns.com I can across the the new version that the Army is going to start using of the M24 SWS. Has a new chassis and an improved action and is chambered for the .300 WinMag cartridge. It's is ready for a suppressor straight outta the box (comes with a suppressor with the full SWS package) I think its friggin dope looking. I like how the stock folds to the side to make it even easier for carrying/transporting and gives you adjustment for length of pull and a cheek rest. and the new chassis makes it extremely light (which the M24/40, R700 was already a pretty light gun as far as bolt-action rifles go). Anyways, I figured I would post the link for it. It has a pretty hefty price tag so its nothing I will be able to afford in the near future but I hope that another company comes out with an aftermarket clone of this chassis for dropping R700 actions into. like they did with the AWM and Sako TRG chassis which are available for short action R700s.

Here's the link - http://www.knesekguns.com/commercial/Remington-XM2010-M24-Rifle-300WM-86442
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

From wikipedia

How do you tell the difference one action is shorter than the other.

Using a short action is going to be your more accurate option. As they are shorter and have less metal removed from the top of the action.

If you are wanting a custom action. Not sure what a chassis is for firearms? There are plenty of custom actions out there. Suergon, Kelbly, Nesika Bay, and many others.

Here is a good quick list of custom actions. http://benchrest.com/inlink/index.php?sid=672730821&t=sub_pages&cat=3&num_results=100

I myself if building a custom gun would find you a good gunsmith then tell him what you want talk to him. If he knows what he is doing you will end up with an amazing rifle. He will guide you in your decision making and steer you in the right direction. That is if you get a good one and not one that is looking to spend your money.
  16. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

The M40 and M24 are two completely different animal so first you need to decide which you want. The M40 has had 4 variations, M40, M40A1 (my old baby), M40A3 and now a new version called the M40A5. I'm not as familiar with the M24 as my time was spent in the Corps. I know they use a long action and an HS Precision stock. You can also buy an M24 as a civilian. You will NEVER see a REAL M40A1, A3 or A5 for sale. I've seen a VERY few original M40's for sale but they bring over $10,000.
    The M40 A1 and A3 (and to my knowledge A5) are built on a Remington 40X Clip-slotted repeater action. The 40x is a Short Action only. The A1 and A3 both have a 24" barrel. The A1 has a Hart while the A3's are Schneider. I think they both use a #7 contour. The A5 has a 20" barrel with a Sure-fire Break and I don't know who makes it. The closest thing you can get to an M40A1, A3 or A5 would be a 40X repeater in 7.62 Nato and drop it into a McMillan HTG (M40A1) or A4 (M40A3 and A5). Add Badger Ordinance Detachable Bottom Metal for the A3 and A5. The A1 used a Winchester Floorplate and you can get a replica. Or, if you're lucky you can find one of the USMC M40A1 "used" stocks that McMillan was selling some years ago with the bottom metal. (Be prepared to pay $800+ for one of those). You'll need to shorten the barrel on the 40X to 24" and have it crowned with a recessed crown to be to A1 or A3 specs. Cut it to 20" and add the sure-fire break to copy the A5. I could go on and on about these but chew on the stuff I've posted already and ask questions and I'll post more...
  17. oneshot onekill

What???... Someone's been smokin' their socks again! The length of the action has ABSOLUTELY no bearing on the accuracy of the rifle.
  18. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Sure if you believe that go for it.

Then why is it that Every guy I know shooting benchrest and many F-class shooters are using short actions because they are stiffer AKA less flex AKA More accurate.

I guess Professional shooters are smoking their socks too.

Been shooting Custom built rifles since I was a kid. I have done a lot of research into actions and accuracy.
  19. oneshot onekill

Yea, Yea... I've heard that kind of crap from benchrest shooters too. You guys will believe anything that makes you think you'll be able to tighten your groups up by a millionth of an inch. Problem is, no one has been able to PROVE it... Consistently and scientifically. Besides, once you mount a scope on a long action using a 1-piece mount the action is just as stiff as a short action. The difference in the two is nominal to begin with.
    I'm still waiting for someone to prove to me that the stiffness of the action has any bearing at all on the accuracy of a rifle since all the "Boom" takes place in front of the action and the projectile is well on its way down the barrel before the recoil energy is transmitted to the action. Now... I can see how the harmonics from different actions can have a bearing, just like harmonics from the Barrel, but that has nothing to do with stiffness.
  20. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Prove that it has no bearing at all.