The Firearms Forum banner

Looking to purchase my first firearm!

3K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  saa 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a firearm for home security and I would like some advice as to what would be suitable to get the job done. I do have have 2 children 1 and 4 years old to take into consideration as well.

#4 · (Edited)
870 is, indeed, a fine home defense gun. And there is no way that a 4-year-old can shoot it, so that's a plus.

It does have a few disadvantages, though.

Many ranges won't let you shoot it. My local indoor range - slugs only through a shotgun. Took a few guns to Georgia, to visit my daughter's family. We went to Wilson Shoals range, above Atlanta. The range master was nice, and let us fire a few shots though them, so my wife and son-in-law could find out what it would feel like, if they had to shoot someone with the shotgun I was loaning them for home defense. He said that, normally, shotguns aren't allowed on the range.

Hard to practice with your homedefense gun, if you can't find a place that will let you shoot it.

Second problem. Since you got kids, that implies a wife. Women, as a general rule, are smaller than men. That 12 gauge 870 might be too big for her.

Then there is always the possibility that, as you enter a room, looking for the suspicious noise, with 18 inches of barrel sticking out in front, the burglar can grab it and take it away. This is not very likely, but is is possible.

The gun I normally recommend to folks looking for their first gun, for "defense", is a 4" 357 revolver. Smith and Wesson or Ruger. Colt costs too much and Taurus is junk.

Small and light enough for most people to be able to handle. Too big for the little kids to get in trouble with. Can shoot it at any target range. Can shoot both 38 specials and 357 magnums, so you can start off with target wadcutters (which are very light recoiling) so the gun does not scare you, and then go to hotter, more powerful rounds as you get confidence with it.

If you get enough comfortable with the gun that you wish to go outside, to investigate the strange noise, a pistol is liable to go unnoticed by the neighbors, while the shotgun will have one of 'em calling the cops.

If you travel somewhere (since you can get burgled just as easily at the Super 8 Motel on I-10 as you can at home), the pistol is easier to put in the car, and less noticeable to take into the motel.

DO, however, check into the laws where you are. Make sure that whatever you want to use is legal there (example - New Jersey - hollowpoint bullets are illegal). And, if taking it while traveling, make sure it is legal wherever you might be. Not just where you are going, but wherever you have to travel through to get there.

#6 ·
12 gauge mossberg for the house. Though really, any guage shotgun will work. You will get the desired effect. If you are worried about your wife shooting itor think the kids may hunt with it later, you could even get a 4-10. I recommend loading it up with some light bird shot. It will have less recoil and is less likely to go through walls and do damage, but if you actually hit the bad guy, it should be enough to make them run if it doesnt take them out for the count. A .357 revolver for personal carry and home. .357 is great cause you can load it with .38 special for the wife to shoot for practice with less recoil and use .357 mag for home defense. If something goes down, you wont notice the extra kick. And there is no guess work on a revolver.

#7 ·
12 gauge mossberg for the house. Though really, any guage shotgun will work. You will get the desired effect. If you are worried about your wife shooting itor think the kids may hunt with it later, you could even get a 4-10. I recommend loading it up with some light bird shot. It will have less recoil and is less likely to go through walls and do damage, but if you actually hit the bad guy, it should be enough to make them run if it doesnt take them out for the count. A .357 revolver for personal carry and home. .357 is great cause you can load it with .38 special for the wife to shoot for practice with less recoil and use .357 mag for home defense. If something goes down, you wont notice the extra kick. And there is no guess work on a revolver.
Oh $hit, get ready for the beat down from the HD experts :)

#9 ·
You could go with a Rem or mossberg 12 gauge and put a Knoxx/Blackhawk recoil reducing stock on it, not only is it adjustible and adds a pistol grip but it really does reduce recoil, my wife is small and she shoots 3in slugs with no problems it will be between 100-120$ extra and is easy to install. If you are going to get a handgun just for home get a .45, if you are going to carry get whatever you find the most comfortable and will carry, if it isnt comfortable you wont carry it. I would try out as many different ones as you can and find a good holster I reccomend Crossbreads for CCW and a good belt to go with it.

For keeping them safe at home just get a small pistol safe and put it up where the kids cant get into it, the pistol safes are quick and easy to get into. As for the shotgun you can also get a safe or just put it above your door frame on the inside of you bedroom on a rack. Good luck with finding a gun!

#10 · (Edited)
Bring it. :cool: :p
LOL....

I prefer the bird shot/pump 12G myself, the only adjustments I have made, since getting a ration about using bird shot, is this, each load is progressively heavier, starting with 2 3/4, 8 shot, up to 3" BB, I just can't bring myself to use anything bigger, in fear of family members on the other side of the sheetrock, I know this logic has been, and will be scoffed at, but, my home, my family, my choice,

Using a large handgun, 00 buck/shotgun, whatever, is also a choice, to each his own, use what fits your situation I say, if it was just me in the house I would probably be using larger projectiles, up to the point of having to consider the nieghbors getting hit,

I made a mounting system on the inside of the wood bed rail/frame(wood is a 2x12), on my side of the bed, just using wooden dowel's to support the gun, just roll out of bed onto the floor, reach up on the inside of the rail, and there it is, no need to even get up if the BG is already coming in the room, but it's not visible if you look under the bed, from either side of the bed,

#11 ·
Most knowledgeable self defense experts recommend not using a shotgun for home defense. A handgun is your best choice. I'd go with a 9mm, .40S&W or .45 ACP pistol or .38, .327 Federal, or .357 mag revolver. For your purposes and level of experience I think the best bet would be the .327 Fed revolver. But be aware that ammo is a little pricier and scarcer on the gun shop shelves. Whether you plan to carry concealed or not, I'd recommend you take a CCW course too.

#12 ·
most knowledgeable self defense experts also have more experience and strength than a housewife.

I would probably have the bird shot backed up by something heavier, but I would think that most intruders are gonna run like a girl if they are shot at. I know if they are intent on killing you and/or there are several of them, it's not gonna do you any good, but if you are in that situation anyway, there's a good chance you are screwed anyway. I'd use a motion sensing .50 ma duece if nobody was around, but I'd like to have atleast not to have any worries about me hitting a family member or something just cause some punk kid came in to pilfer and run.

#13 · (Edited)
A little due diligence will serve you well in this decision. Since you're asking for advice, you're already starting right - not being in a hurry.

There is a lot to be said of many styles of firearm - and particularly when applied to home security, children, and family.

Here are a few places to look to get some balance on the different types of weapons, and their use in the home:

Shotguns - a good Guns and Ammo article:
http://www.***********.com/2005/09/10/the-home-defense-shotgun/

General handgun:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_home_defense.htm

Concealed carry info/gun choice:
http://www.tacticalgearmag.com/page/choosing-a-concealed-carry

Self-Defense ammo info:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

Those are just a start, but they'll take you to some good overview info and aid in your choice. The advice to get a few guns in your hands before you buy is priceless. Here we have indoor ranges that rent many popular handguns. Find one and shoot them all. You'll get a great sense of what you like, what feels good, what you shoot well and tolerate.

Then you'll find that you gravitate to your own personal solution that works for you, your spouse, and your family situation.

I use a Springfield XD .45 in the home, along with a Ruger LC9. I also have a Ruger LCP and it's also excellent for a .380 with quality home defense ammo in many choices.

I prefer to shoot .45, but the 9mm is available for my wife who shoots a .45 well but prefers the control of a 9mm in the case of harried use. This is a consideration for you. There is a huge difference between the range and waking from a sleep to defend yourself, home, and family. Don't look for killing power - look for natural control on your end depending on your strength, hand size, etc.

Your carry gun will likely be different simpy due to comfort of carry. The best thing on carry guns I've heard, years ago now, is the best gun for you to carry is the one that you'll carry. A .380 with today's ammo is far superior to the .45 that you didn't take with you.

That said, there are lots of slim .45's too: I carry and love both the Kahr PM45 and the Glock 36. Dress and situation dependent.

As far as "ammo penetration" is concerned in the home environment, this is as much home defense strategy and planning with your wife and family as it is simply the penetration ability of the ammunition itself. It is a wise man who not only purchases home defense firearms, but also goes through some basic and simple senarios with your spouse and family. Just like fire and accident safety procesures. Simple planning for any home defense event allows everyone to be familiar with how they should react and function in the rare case of those things happening. We hate to see those things happen, but we plan to be safe in the event - just incase. Home defense family strategy is another whole topic, just be aware and investigate that as well.

This is simply my humble opinion and I highly respect the value of the other input you'll receive here as well. All advice is only as good as the research you do to apply it to your own situation.

Have fun shooting, learning, and choosing.
saa.

#14 ·
I dont know who the manufacturer is but there is a 22 mag.semi auto handgun out there with a 30 round clip. no risk to neighbors, and likely minimal risk to family memebers in another room. easily kept by bed. best when paired with a good dog or alarm system though. Stay Sharp, Stay Safe, Stay Alive

#15 ·
Go to a bunch of different stores/shops and find someone who is willing to let you hold a few firearms. As stated find one that fits and feels good and you will know if it is within your price range. Also, you will get an idea of which owners are friendly and willing to spend a few minutes helping you pick the perfect first gun. Nothing worse than going in a "members only" shop and getting ignored......*advice from a newbie*

#16 ·
Get some training for you and your wife. A good instructor will provide several handgun platforms for you to become acquainted with. Educate your four-year-old. You can teach the child to avoid a hot stove, you can teach the child to respect firearms. You still have the responsibility to deny the child unfettered access to firearms.

Stop by a local gun shop, and find out about any local firearms instructors, and/or ranges. Professional training, at least in the basics, will be well worth your money.

Stopping power comes after hitting your target. Hitting your target, comes after becoming proficient with your handgun. Proficiency comes after practice. Practice comes after selecting a handgun that is comfortable in YOUR hands. Just because it's "great" for someone else, doesn't mean it will be "great" for you. Shop for a handgun like you do for shoes.... TRY 'EM ON... handle as many as you can... THEN start a list of possibles. If you can, rent, or shoot one that you're interested in before you buy. Start out with buying a used .22 to develop fundamentals, THEN move up in caliber. Do NOT get wrapped up in the caliber wars. Caliber doesn't count until your bullet hits your point of aim. A hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .45. Remember there is a trade-off with handguns... longer barrel, larger weapon, more weight... translates to less perceived recoil. Small weapon, short barrel, light weight... translates to more perceived recoil.

Shopping is good... have fun....be safe

#17 ·
I’ll start with firearms. Whatever firearm you choose, it won’t help you if an intruder can get into your home without you knowing it. Being able to force a door or window because it isn’t secured properly will result in someone standing by your bed while you sleep.
I’ll start with the outside. If your home is just off the street, make sure you don’t have shrubs etc blocking the street view of you windows or door. Often criminals will use those shrubs to hide while they work on breaking in, or lay in wait for you to come up to the door. Make sure your house number is highly visible from the street so emergency responders can easily find your home. If you have a back alley, number the house there too.
Place motion activated lights around the home. They have decorative fixtures with motion detector capability as well as spot lights for the back of the home. Yes a deer or raccoon will trip the lights, but so what, they only stay on for as long as you set them to stay on, and then go off until tripped again.
We have a long driveway, so I went to Harbor Freight and bought two $20 motion sensors. They are battery operated and the detector is mounted to a post by the driveway, and one by the back of the house. One sounding device sits in the living room, the other by the back door. When someone enters the driveway, the alarm gives a ding dong sound. If they get near the house, the other sounds. Again deer and raccoons will set it off, but I don’t mind watching them too.
For the doors, have a locksmith key all the doors alike. Then unscrew the strike plate screws and make sure they are long enough to go into the 2X4 in the wall, not just the pine door frame. If there is glass surrounding the door, have double cylinder dead bolts installed, but keep an extra key hidden near the door in addition to your regular keys. Solid doors should have a 180  peep hole so you can see who is knocking before unlocking. With the screws going into the wall itself, not just the frame, if they kick the door in, you’ll hear them.
Windows need to have an additional locking system other than the butterfly lock. You should be able to secure the windows when they are closed and/or when they are partially open.
The inside should have lights on timers. There should be a good gun safe for guns and jewelry.
One other thing is to mark your property with your driver’s license . The state initials and the numbers will allow officials to find your name, age, address and so forth. If you can find stickers that indicate “Operation Identification” for your windows they help.
If you trust your neighbors, work with them. Be suspicious of traveling salesmen and so forth, and don’t hesitate to report suspicious activity.
When you call the police, remember, they don’t know what is going on until you tell them and they need the information in order. Your name, your location, phone number, why you are calling, what you think is going to happen. If it is happening right now, tell them “IN PROGRESS”. Be patient and stay on the phone until they tell you to hang up.
Make sure the family has a plan for fire and intrusion, and practice.
There is no one answer to crime, but using a combined package or system perspective where all the units work together can make the bad guys go somewhere easier.
Last but not least; I have an alarm system installed that not only monitors doors and motion, but a smoke detector. When we are not home, or the wife is home alone, it is comforting.
Now back to weapon of choice. I’m in my 60s, retired police, and an avid hunter. My choice of weapon for home defense is a youth model pump action 20 gauge loaded with five rounds of 4 buck. It cost $227 at Wal-Mart. It has a devastating effect within 30 yards, handles easily in a hallway, EVERYONE recognizes the sound of a shotgun chambering a round, and you don’t have to aim, just point and shoot. As a plus I have used it to hunt everything from doves to deer. (Took a nice doe with it this year.)
For CCDW I have a Glock .40 in model 27 and a Ruger LCP in .380. Both conceal nicely. Of course I also have 2” and 4” S&W revolvers in .38/357.
I also have flashlights everywhere in the house.
Nothing against .22s, but we shot a guy six times with .38 lead bullets and he ran 12 blocks.
Everyone in the house needs to have gun safety training. Period. They make small safes for home and car, use them.
Remember the rules of gun fights.
Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
Only hits count. A close miss is still a miss.
If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly, and you have been there way too long.
Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movements are preferred.)
If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and all your friends with long guns.
In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics.
If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.
Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.
Use a gun that works EVERY TIME.
Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Always cheat = always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
Have two plans. The original plan, and then a back-up plan, because the original plan never works.
Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
Don't drop your guard.
Always tactically reload and threat scan 360 degrees.
Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).
Decide to be AGGRESSIVE enough, QUICKLY enough.
The faster you finish the fight, the less shot up you will get.

Reactions: gunnut1215
#18 ·
Get some training for you and your wife. A good instructor will provide several handgun platforms for you to become acquainted with. Educate your four-year-old. You can teach the child to avoid a hot stove, you can teach the child to respect firearms. You still have the responsibility to deny the child unfettered access to firearms.

Stop by a local gun shop, and find out about any local firearms instructors, and/or ranges. Professional training, at least in the basics, will be well worth your money.

Stopping power comes after hitting your target. Hitting your target, comes after becoming proficient with your handgun. Proficiency comes after practice. Practice comes after selecting a handgun that is comfortable in YOUR hands. Just because it's "great" for someone else, doesn't mean it will be "great" for you. Shop for a handgun like you do for shoes.... TRY 'EM ON... handle as many as you can... THEN start a list of possibles. If you can, rent, or shoot one that you're interested in before you buy. Start out with buying a used .22 to develop fundamentals, THEN move up in caliber. Do NOT get wrapped up in the caliber wars. Caliber doesn't count until your bullet hits your point of aim. A hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .45. Remember there is a trade-off with handguns... longer barrel, larger weapon, more weight... translates to less perceived recoil. Small weapon, short barrel, light weight... translates to more perceived recoil.

Shopping is good... have fun....be safe
i was going to bring up the caliber issue as well. ditto what jay said! shot placement is key, remember that. this is what i have drilled into my kids' heads about shooting.

start w/ the 22 & work your way up, a 22 is easy to shoot & no recoil. building yourself up helps you to manage flinching in preparation for the recoil. (find a range where you can rent some guns to try out.)

& disagree w/ the experts who say shotguns arent good for home defense. if i could only have 1 gun for self defense in the home, it would be a shotgun.

my other recommendation to you, is if you decide against the shotgun, get a revolver. they are very user friendly! (& i love my taurus revolvers, i do not think they are junk.)

definately start teaching your kids gun safety now. i recommend the eddie eagle video from the NRA as a good start. but dont rely only on a video, search out a way to regularly remind them of gun safety. (& as far as a safety on a gun goes, the only true safety on any gun is what is between your ears.)

btw ~ welcome to the forum! :) (& to you too saa!)

#20 ·
#26 ·
Speaking of .357's...

Hey nsheler1, you should consider the new Ruger LCR in .38 or .357, available in both (a side note: the .357 will shoot .38's as well, so it's a cheaper option to shoot then load with a stronger round for home defense).

Your spouse may like the .38+P rounds for defense as an easy to control round, even under pressure. The .357 appears very controllable as well in this small package as it weighs about 20 ounces - not heavy, but absorbing.

This small gun can also double as a carry gun, if you need to do a one-purchase gun for all uses.

Just another option that I noticed today in a mag. There are some good articles and reviews about it for your research. It looks like it retails around $500, give or take.

Have fun shopping. :)
saa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.