looking to reload in apartment. ideas?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Sota, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Sota

Sota New Member

Gentlemen,
    I am new to the forums here but not shooting.

I'm looking for recommendations on a reloading bench. I have seen where people have used a workmate type setup but no dimensions are given. I have a rockchucker from rcbs. Thinking of adding a rcbs partner press for bullet seating.
    My questions are... How much surface area do i need for 2 presses and case trimmer? Ideas on a layout? If you have pics of setups would greatly appreciate seeing them.

Thanks for any help you may provide in advance.
  2. bobpayne44

bobpayne44 New Member

3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I have a small wooden desk with a reinforced top; works great for my 550 and RC both mounted. I'll take some pics and post later tonight.

Welcome to TFF Sota ! check out this thread for some great pics of benches :

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=53106
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Worm is the man to answer this question Sota. Hes an apartment dweller too.

Welcome to TFF.
  5. Sota

Sota New Member

Gentlemen,
    I looked at the links you provided. Saw some awesome bench layouts. One i saw posted by Rembrandt i think, showed rails mounted in the bench top. Guess it makes it easy to swap to different equipment. Cool idea i think as i have a rcbs rockchucker, a 550 press, and soon to have a partner press.
    I kinda like the rail system. My questions are How easy is it to mount the rails? Do the rcbs and 550 have same mounting holes or does the mounting plate account for the difference?

Sota
    P.S.: sorry it is late and i'm little sleepy or i mighta figured it out someday myself.
    Thanks guys for the help so far.
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I know I had some pictures of my old apartment reloading setup posted here several years back but I can't find the thread anymore.
    I used to use a gutted out 27" Console TV for my reloading bench. It had enough space for a basic reloading setup.

Here's another thread to peruse for ideas...
    www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=93348
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The presses use different mounting hole locations. Make a seperate base plate for each that mounts to the press, but uses the same rail location. The rails are not hard to mount into a bench top.
  8. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I would not be any help there because my reloading room is about the size of an apartment. It is a perfect example of slightly controlled Chaos. That first rule about having the work area neat and clean definitely is not followed in my loading room.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

mine either.
  10. Sota

Sota New Member

Gentlemen,
    I was just wondering.... Would a 2'x3' bench be big enough for all the needed tools for reloading or do i NEED something little bigger?

TIA
    Sota
  11. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I think you could start with a 2 x 3. The more cart's you load the more space you will need. The more cal's you load the more space you will need. I dont know how many cal's or how much you plan to load so its hard to say. But you can certainly start off with a 2x3 and if you need more just add.

Are you only loading one cal and req one pound of powder and 500 primers to load 100 or so every 3 months.

Or are you going to load 6 different cals and use 10 different powders and need to store 10K primers and do this every month.

Your call

Also I reload a single stage at a time. So as i finish with certain tools they get put up and out of the way.

Hope that helps
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

If you've got your heart set on two presses, then 2'x3' is gonna get pretty cramped.

Here's a rough layout of how I had my TV Console reloading table set up. It was about 20" x 36" so pretty close to what you're thinking. This is a southpaw layout...if you're a right-handed, then you might want to situate things different than I had em.
    I use two different presses (single station for rifle and a 3-station C-H for pistol), but I would swap them into the same location as needed.
    The powder measure hung over the edge of the table far enough for me to charge everything in a 50rd tray.
    Any dies, bullets, tools, etc that I wasn't using was stored in a couple of milk crates on the lower shelf of the table. That helped weigh down the table to stabilize it since it was a mobile unit.

I would wheel this out into the living room when I was reloading. I usually had a few things spreading out onto the coffee table too. Couldn't fit it all on the table top.
    When I was finished, it got wheeled back into a corner in my bedroom.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011