The Firearms Forum banner

looking up military service numbers

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  nmckenzie 
#1 ·
I bought an awesom National Postal Meter m1 carbine today that has the service members number carved in the stock.

do you guys know if you can look up the number anywhere to find out his name or service history?

#3 ·
With just the s/n I doubt you'll get much from any of the service branches, but you might try reaching out through the Legion, DAV and VFW's publications. Does your NPM bear an import stamp - even if it's just a tiny one under the barrel up forward? If so, the s/n might've belonged to someone living on a kibbutz in Israel.

#5 ·
And remember, not every one wants looked up. One more odd thing, Military members did not carve their names nor service number on their issue weapons unless they wanted to pay for a new one. I would guess that anything carved on the stock is post service.

#6 ·
And remember, not every one wants looked up.
Kinda related - leastways the looking up aspect. As a kid, one of my favorite books was my dads's 1940 Bluejacket's Manual - all sorts of great information and pictures. Treasured it till our house fire in '84. Not too long ago I found a 1940 edition on Amazon and ordered it. The inside cover has the owner's name, rank, s/n and so forth inscribed. It was a unique name, and fairly easy to track down. The guy lives in Oregon. Thought about contacting him - he'd be well into his 90s by now, but then figured if the book held any interest for him he'd still have it, and so I let the matter drop.

#8 ·
my service number starts with 029 .. if it's mine I want it back too! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.