Loose boxlock shotgun breech - can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by cdncowboy, Sep 24, 2010.

1. cdncowboy

cdncowboy New Member

I have an old boxlock double barrel that I use for partridge hunting. It functions perfectly fine but it has very slight play in the breech when the hinge is closed. The barrels will move very slightly up/down and side to side.... is this something that can be fixed?

Thanks all.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Yes it can by building up the lug contact surfaces and re-cutting. Not exactly an easy solution but it is a solution. Some surfaces can be peened over or stretched to look things up tighter but they will soon loosen up again from use if it is a high stress area.
  3. cdncowboy

cdncowboy New Member

I appreciate your input Helix, thanks.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Helix gave a good answer, but permit me to add that the work he mentions, done right, is costly and a lot depends on the age and original quality of the gun. It is one thing to spend money on a top-notch repair job for a $25,000 gun; it is another to spend the same amount on an old Belgian Damascus barrel that cost $4 when new in 1890 and hasn't gained much value since. Sometimes it is tough to retire an old gun, even one of little intrinsic value, but that day does come.

Jim
  5. Max Donovan

Max Donovan Member

Once upon a time, you could buy steel shim stock at the auto supply store in pieces 8" by 1/2 inch in every thousand of an inch from one to eightteen. If you can finds some, try different thicknesses until you find your gap. Then cut a small piece and soft solder it into the half-round recess in the barrel lump. Yes, soft solder like you use on plumbing. All the stress is in compression and sheer and it will hold forever.
  6. cdncowboy

cdncowboy New Member

Excellent tip, thanks Max.