Lost my childhood hero today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gabob, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I grew up in Macon, Ga during WW2. Macon was Gen. Scott's hometown. When the movie"God is My Go-Pilot" had it's premier in Macon I stood in a line a block long to get in theater.

BREAKING NEWS: Brig. Gen. Robert Scott, midstate war hero, dies at 97Fighter ace wrote 'God is My Co-Pilot'By Gene RectorTelegraph Staff WriterWARNER ROBINS - Retired Brig. Gen. Robert L. Scott, who packed more adventure in his life than any 10 people, according to his closest friends, died early this morning, a Robins Air Force Base official said. He was 97.
    Scott, a native of Macon who grew up along Napier Avenue, rose to nationwide prominence during World War II, first as a fighter ace in the China-Burma-India theater then as author of "God is My Co-Pilot," an account of his wartime exploits. The book was later made into a 1945 feature-length movie.
    Scott - who retired from the Air Force as a brigadier general - never lost his "fighter ace" prominence and later used that fame to great effect in supporting Middle Georgia's Museum of Aviation.
    "He's been our resident hero, cheerleader and biggest fan," said Pat Bartness, museum foundation president and chief operating officer. "He's been the biggest drawing card we've had. Without him, the museum would just be a different place and not as exciting. He will be sorely missed."
    When Scott joined the museum staff in the mid-1980s, he had accomplished more than most people dream of, according to museum director Paul Hibbits.
    "Because of that, his impact has not only been local but national," said Hibbits. "I've run into people all over the country who have asked me about him. His being part of the museum has opened a lot of doors for us. He's added a lot of credibility. He put us on the map."

The Macon Telegraph
  2. HiPowerKid

HiPowerKid New Member

Thank God for those real heroes. Another passing of the greatest generation will be missed. Best wishes to those who knew him and all who mourn his loss.
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

RIP, Gen Scott.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

He is another of that generation who KNEW what it was to fight for FREEDOM and the Constitution, or, if you prefer, the American Way.

His book was the first I remember receiving, given by my Uncle, a WWI pilot in Sopwith Camels. Scott was always my primary hero, as later was Jimmy Stewart, both retired USAF Brigadiers and Truly American to the core.

Rest in PEACE, Bob.
  5. Carl S

Carl S New Member

An outstanding American and fine warrior. He was an icon. Rest in peace, Sir.
  6. I first read Scott's book, God is My Copilot, many years ago and it is still as fine a read today as it was then. His passing is a great loss to all freedom loving people.
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

God is my Copilot Is one of the FIRST books I remember reading on WWII as a kid!

Some of his exploits as the one man Air Force are amazing - painting the spinner on the P-40 between sorties so the Japs thought there was more than just one plane!

Eternal Rest, General.