Lost perspective?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

V.I.P. Member
    (2/4/03 9:42:00 pm)
    Reply Lost perspective?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I do not understand the massive media coverage of the shuttle crash and the outpouring of grief over this event.

I understand is was a tragedy and my heart goes out to the families of the crew, but how is the death of these seven people any more important than the deaths the four crew members on the PaveLow that went down 29 Jan 03 in Afghanistan?

How many of you even knew we lost a PaveLow in Afghanistan?

The Pentagon and CENTCOM never even released the names of that crew, and those brave men were directly involved in defending this nation.

I just do not understand.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/4/03 9:59:24 pm)
    Reply Re: Lost perspective?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I knew about the crash in Afghanistan, although it received minimal coverage.

Another thing that chaps my ass is all these people saying we need to end the space program because it's too expensive and unsafe.

These people don't realize that a major reason we are a superpower today is because of our space program. If we sit on our duffs, the Japs will slide right on by us. We are the best in the world, and we have to stay on top of our game. Losing another shuttle is a setback, but we are Americans!!!! When the going gets tough, we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and get on with the mission.

FWIW, by my count, helicopter crashes have killed more US soldiers in Afghanistan than anything else.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Yabra Kadabra Doo
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/4/03 10:29:07 pm)
    On the same day, 7 Canadian children lost their lives skiiing. They got a little article on the back page for one day, while the shuttle is still eating up the airwaves. I guess children are less important than astronauts.

Frankly, we shouldn't blame the media for this. We should blame the STUPID american public for sitting hour after hour watching this crap. My wife watched about 20 straight hours of Princess Di after she died and we had a hell of a fight about it. I think she got the point that the media sucks life from willing participants. She's never watched more than a few minutes of news since.

My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/5/03 1:16:49 am)
    Re: Lost perspective?
    You guys won't get an argument out of me. I agree with you

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/03 9:39:28 am)
    Because GI's are cannon fodder. That goes for retired GI's also. "Come serve for 20+ years and we'll take care of you" and the check is in the mail, and just wait it will get better etc.

This society thinks that it's soldiers are in service to die and to rape the public coffers for big retirement checks. I could rant for hours but who wants to hear it.

Smoky the GI

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/03 10:04:38 am)
    Smoky, I've got to give it to you...

You're a man that wears many hats!

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/03 10:24:26 am)
    ZZ2: you should see my collection of feathers!

Smoky the hatted

anchored
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/6/03 11:21:15 am)
    It's not about the people. I watched the TV coverage of the shuttle for two hours before anyone even mentioned that the astronauts had familes, and the person that did mention it was another astronaut. It's not that they were mor important people, its that the whole thing about burning up on reentry was so high-profile, visible, and spectacular that it just has the stuff of legend. Some story about some soldiers who died while fighting a war is not surprising, high profile or even terribly tragic. People dying doing something glamorous can't compare to people dying while trying to kill other people.

Those who would give up essential liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Ben Franklin
    The unarmed man is not merely defenseless - he is also contemptible.-Machiavelli