Lottery winner on welfare

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by norahc, Mar 7, 2012.

1. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Right now, they don't seem to be able to come up with any crime.

Fox news last nite...a bill ( two actually ) was written to mandate anyone, reaching a certain income, be taken off the food stamp list. But, those same folks forgot(?) to put the law in place.

Mind-boggling? Nah... :rolleyes: Normal? Yep..
  2. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Kinda like our congressmen getting free haircuts. I gotta pay $8.00 and I'm still ugly.
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
  4. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

What, they got a congressional barber or something?
  5. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

and everyone watch, she'll be dead broke in less than two years and back on welfare
  6. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Two years? More likely by the end of this month.:mad:
  7. Ed~

Ed~ New Member

Ya'll got that right. Wealth primarily is a state of mind. Those who grow up on the dole have the poverty mentality no matter how much is actually in the bank account (if there is one).

Case in point... Ms. Lottery Winner feeling like it was OK to draw financial support.

She has no understanding of where that money comes from... has no understanding of money PERIOD -much less how to go out and make it. To her money is something to spend when its there. That's it!

So of course she would choose to give up half her millions for a lump sum payout, so there would be some actual money to spend NOW. And of course she would buy this and buy that and continue to draw public money because it's all there to be used. And of course she will be back where she started before too long when it is all SPENT.

All goes back to the poor upbringing and education in the US. Kids don't learn nothing later if they aren't taught to value learning in the first instance.
  8. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with how the lottery works. What would the payment plan have been if she hadn't taken the lump sum payment? If it'd been like ten bucks a month until she was paid up I could understand her taking the lump sum. And would she still have had to pay taxes on it?
  9. Ed~

Ed~ New Member

According to what I read, if the lottery winner could have taken her $1 Million over a period of time -sometimes 28 years at $$38,500/year- she would have kept her entire payout minus Tax/year (at long term capital gains rate of 15%?).

But she chose the 1x lump sum payout at a reduced $700K, was taxed on that amount for $200K, and so left with half the original lottery winnings in hand, or $500K in the bank.

Given the state of the economy and the questionable long-term value of the Greenback, I'm not sure if that was the worst decision. However, I do not agree with her motives in principle given that I doubt her intentions were how best to invest the money to make it last, but likely to simply to spend the money frivolously to mask the pain in her life.

At any rate, she should have expected to give up her her food stamps, and probably did, but decided not to report her winnings to the State Agency in charge of that. But she still would have had a guaranteed yearly income of almost $32,700 after taxes if she were honest and literally did nothing else to make money throughout the year.

No not enough to hang out in Hawaii for her and her kids, but certainly frees one up to pursue a happier lifestyle than flippin' burgers 40 hours/week to scrape by.

Again, I am only criticizing her attitude about life, and not her life as a whole. I know that I wouldn't choose to flip burgers full-time given the choice.

But the short answer? -She probably would have gotten $2,700/month after taxes playing it straight.

What would you have done?
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  10. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It wasn't " social security checks " she gave up. It was food stamps/welfare:

11. Ed~

Ed~ New Member

Correct. Changed my post accordingly.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  12. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
  13. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Active Member

14. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

It's a sad commentary on life as an addict. It's too bad the same government that got her addicted to welfare couldn't have put her winnings in a trust fund for her kids. Give an addict enough money and they will snort it up their nose until their head explodes every time.
  15. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Re: Gimmy a Break I cant beleave I just read this!

+1.