Louisiana has an admendment up for vote concerning guns

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by cycloneman, Oct 23, 2012.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

2. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I have discussed this in length on another forum. IMO along with many others this is "Bad Language"
    This "Bad Language" allows for "Review", "Interpretation" and "Scrutiny" of Restrictions changes or violations to a Constitutional Amendment. A CA should be clear and not leave anything open for review, interpretation or restrictions.

With this bad language I would not support it.
  4. cycloneman

I have heard that before. But this is all over the radio and our sports hunting and fishing shows are in favor of it.
    This is a very gun rich state. Very gun rich. If your planning to take a man gun away down here you might as well try to take his wife too.

I think this is an attempt to keep the feds off our guns. Dont know I have to think about this a bit more.
  5. oldman45

oldman45 New Member

The Amendment is the strictest in the US, if passed. It looks like it will pass very easily. Using the level Strictest Scrutiny, it would almost take a SUpreme Court decision to change or attack any gun law in Louisiana.

The Feds could not forbid concealed carry in Louisiana nor tell the citizens here what type guns they could own. It would become a nation of it's own when it comes to gun control. A governor could not override any of the gun laws.
  6. cycloneman

I have been talking about it with others and I am gona vote for it.
  7. al45lc

al45lc New Member

In the argument against, it states that this may affect laws prohibiting felons from possession.
    Inane and stupid, that's a federal mandate that cannot be superceded by a State. Typical in these things when the opposing side writes the piece.
  8. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISIONS
    The Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the
    right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Article I, Section 11 of the Louisiana Constitution:
    The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged, but this
    provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of
    weapons concealed on the person.

How Article I, Section 11 of the Louisiana Constitution would
    read if the proposed amendment passes:
    The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms is fundamental and shall not
    be infringed. Any restriction on this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny.

It looks cut and dried to me.
    Much better language...clear and precise, with
    much less room for interpretation.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You might want to look into that a little. There is a Federal way to get your gun rights back, if you are a convicted felon. They don't fund the office that supposedly does it, so there is no one to see about it, but the path is written out.

ATF will tell you that if you wish your gun-rights back you need to go to the State. You robbed a liquor store - the state of Georgia slapped your butt in the pen - the State of Georgia took away your right to carry a gun. And the State of Georgia can give it back.

Just about every state has provisions for ex-cons to get their rights back. It's not easy. Takes a lot of time. But the provisions are there. Gotta do it from the state you lost 'em in, though. When you get out of the Georgia pokey, if you moved to Mississippi, Mississippi can't give you your rights back. Georgia took 'em away, so Georgia is the one you got to get 'em back from.

But, once they give 'em back, it's like they were never gone.
  10. oldman45

oldman45 New Member

Not so. A felon can get an expungement in the state in which the felony was charged. It does carry a cost but if the person wants it bad enough and meets the requirements, it can be cleared from his record and all Rights would be restored. Just be prepared to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,500.
  11. cycloneman