Louisiana is on the ball

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by carver, Mar 29, 2010.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    By The Associated Press
    Already considered a gun-friendly state, Louisiana may further loosen restrictions on firearms, with lawmakers proposing to allow handguns at state parks, in churches and near school yards.

Lawmakers opening a new session Monday also will debate bills that challenge federal gun regulations and that make concealed handgun permits last longer. Those ideas are similar to laws enacted in other states in recent years, mostly in the South and West.

Gun control groups call the proposals troubling, while gun rights advocates say the bills seek to protect constitutional rights and let people defend themselves.

"In Louisiana, we take our gun rights very seriously, and the right to bear arms is very etched in the Constitution," said Sen. Troy Hebert, I-Jeanerette. "But through the years, anti-gun groups have tried to erode away the rights of people to legally carry arms."

Hebert is sponsoring a measure that would let people carry firearms at state parks and historic sites, which the senator said is currently banned by the state Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism.

Others want to expand the list of places where residents can tote concealed handguns if they have a permit for them.

State law bans concealed handguns from law enforcement offices, jails, courthouses, polling places, the Louisiana Capitol, parades, churches and other places of worship and from within 1,000 feet around a school campus.

Sen. Danny Martiny, R-Kenner, has proposed doing away with the restrictions against carrying concealed handguns near a school, sponsoring a bill that would limit the handgun restriction to on the school campus.

Meanwhile, Rep. Henry Burns filed a bill that would permit concealed handguns at churches, synagogues, mosques and any other places of worship -- if the church leader allows them. Burns, R-Haughton, said the measure was designed to let churches strengthen their security, with armed officers if they'd like. He said he wasn't envisioning a minister or pastor allowing everyone to come to services with guns strapped to their sides.

"It wasn't too long ago that 10 churches were burned in east Texas, just next door to Louisiana, so there are people out there who want to do harm at churches," Burns said. "The purpose is to provide adequate security, not having everybody packing."

Gun owner Jerry Katz, vice president of Security Sporting Goods in Alexandria, said he supports letting church leaders decide whether they want concealed handguns inside. But he said he wouldn't bring a gun to church even if he could.

"I would imagine most people don't ever think of doing that," Katz said.

Burns' bill also would make a concealed handgun permit valid for five years, instead of the current four-year term.

Gov. Bobby Jindal's spokesman said the governor supports Burns' bill, along with one of the most sweeping gun rights proposals facing lawmakers, a measure by Sen. Robert Adley, R-Benton, called the "Louisiana Firearms Freedom Act" that seeks to exempt weapons made and owned in-state from federal restrictions.

At least a half dozen states have passed similar proposals, including Montana and Tennessee.

Such "firearms freedom acts" are opposed by the Violence Policy Center, a gun control group in Washington, as an attempt to undermine federal regulation of firearms manufacturing and distribution, said Kristen Rand, the group's legislative director.

Many of the bills proposed to loosen gun restrictions in Louisiana are pending or have passed in other states. The trend is attributed in large part to a push by the National Rifle Association to lessen gun restrictions at state levels.

Rand cited statistics from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showing that in 2006 -- the latest year data was available -- Louisiana's rate of deaths from firearms, whether accidental or intentional, was 19.58 for every 100,000 people, the highest in the nation. The average rate was 10.32.

"These changes to make guns more available are particularly worrisome in states like Louisiana," Rand said, adding she feared the gun death rate would only go higher.

Supporters of the legislation say it's about individual rights, not statistics. But gun owners also acknowledge Louisiana's firearms laws aren't very restrictive now.

Cory Sperier, a gun owner and employee of Jim's Firearms in Baton Rouge, said he doesn't regularly hear complaints from customers about gun prohibitions. Instead, he called Louisiana "gun-friendly," allowing loaded handguns in cars and places banned in other states.

He said the proposed bills would "just kind of make people a little more happy."
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Wonder what the statistics would be for the rest of the state of Louisiana if you eliminated the New Orleans metro area statistics. I know here in the Columbus, OH metro area most of the gun incidents occur in a rather small portion and are dominated by drugs and gang related individuals who would pay no attention to any law anyway.
  3. artabr

artabr New Member

I have no idea of what the stats would be without N.O's figures, but I would think it would still be high. Baton Rouge ain't no slouch in the murder department.

3 dead and 2 winged over the weekend in B.R. :rolleyes:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/89373137.html

Bless Troy for sponsoring this bill, but he is nothing more than your typical sleazy politician. He just switched parties from Democrat to Independent. Rats from a sinking ship. He's done a bunch of things that have hacked me off. I live outside of his district by about a mile but his actions affect my area. Shutting down our local landfill is just a start. :rolleyes: :mad:

Art
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Man I need to move to Texas or something. Wisconsin sucks as far as gun control goes. You can't conceal carry here. You will be harassed if you carry around here in Madison where I live. Same way in Milwaukee.

I just don't feel comfortable open carrying because there's nobody else around here that is doing it.

As far as I am concerned, I would like to have it where you can carry a gun without a license... anywhere, anytime.

If people are afraid of shootouts, they should arm themselves, not take away my rights out of fear.
  5. wpage

wpage Active Member

Get used to it. Soon the only ones carrying will be law...
  6. lentz

lentz Former Guest

I don't think so wpage, there has been more of this type of action in the past few months nationwide.

But I could be fooling myself!

Attached Files:

7. artabr

artabr New Member

No, you're correct, Lentz. The people and some of the politicians are getting fed up with the anti-gun cr*p.
    For example, La. also has a bill in the works that is similar to the Wyoming bill in the thread below.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?p=618343#post618343

Art