Love or Hate Glocks

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by dbltap, Nov 14, 2010.

1. dbltap

dbltap New Member

What do you love or hate about your Glocks? I'm looking at a Glock 22 or a Smith M&P in 40. I know about the Smiths but have no experience with Glocks.
    I realize this may be a Ford vs Chevy type of question.

Thanks
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I think a lot of it is personal preference.

Glock may be best for some, but not for others. Same way with 1911s, H&Ks, etc, etc.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I would very much like to like Glocks. They are very reliable, they feel good in my hands, and the value in purchasing them (quality for your dollars) is really pretty good. They are well made, and they are a good choice in handguns.

That said, I personally can't stand them. I don't like that little "thing" on the trigger. So I don't own any, and I won't (nor any of the XDs, nor Walther's "Quick Action" trigger, nor anything else similar).
  4. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Mark me up for love, but I hate the fanboys.....
  5. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Well if it's a gen 4 ther is not much difference with the grips,but I do find the Glocks shoot better than the M&P stuff.
  6. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

I thought I loved them, at least until I purchased a xdm 45 by Springfield. I have never shot groups so tight with either one of my Glocks, or my 1911 for that matter, as I have lately with the xdm. Also I reload and I've heard a lot of bad about reloading brass shot from Glocks due to the unsupported chamber.
  7. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

Glocks seem to be all over the place.........they shoot well etc. BUT I have a basic distrust of striker fired handguns. That said, I don't care much for polymer framed handguns either, and even alloy frames aren't a favorite. Mike
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

put me in the love category.

let me start by saying i love all types of guns. i have owned 3 1911s and 4 glocks. i've had a ruger p95, couple walther p38s, a smith 4006, and a bunch of others i'd have to look at the list to remember.

currently the only full size handgun i have is a glock 22. they are not the most accurate pistols in the world. im sure there are plenty that will outshoot a glock. but a glock isnt a target pistol. it is a self defense pistol. at 100 yards i can hit a man sized silhouette target.

all of the glocks i've had were extremely reliable. they ate any and all ammo i put into them. i would not hesitate to buy another one or carry one. they workmanship in them is excellent. they are simple with few moving parts. they are ugly though. they dont have the romance of a 1911, or the looks of a colt python. but they do exactly what you want them to do, they shoot every time.
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

long before the glock i owned a h&k vp70 this was the first poly/plastic framed gun and the h&k was a very good pistol. but i couldn't warm up to a plastic gun , i had no use for a glock and swore i'd never own one. then as a mis-guided effort to bring me up to date my daughter bought me a glock in 357 sig. so far so good after about 1000 rounds cant say i love it yet but i'm begining too like it alot.
  10. johnlives4christ

i am a traditional person. i generally dont like plastic in a gun or anything else. but for handgun frames i really dont mind. plastic is a great thing in some applications.

one benefit is that plastic doesnt require maintenance. you dont have to wipe your glock down every day when you get home to keep it from rusting. the slide is coated in tenifer before it's finished, this keeps it from rusting. the frame is plastic so it dont rust. in fact i dont wipe down my daily carry glock but about once a month or whenever i clean it. it has zero rust anywhere.

i dont have to worry about my hands rusting the gun, or picking it up with wet hands. or carrying in the rain.

while i love a beautifully blued 1911, a glock for all purposes is more practical.
  11. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

I'm in the indifferent crowd. I think they are reliable and a overall fine pistol. There is something about them though that just doesn't fit me. I own a couple and my G23 3rd gen is part of my carry rotation. So I trust it with my life, but I don't love it like a CZ or 1911.

The best advice I can offer you is to just borrow or rent a couple handguns and see what you like best. It's hard to say whether you will love or hate Glocks or just be indifferent like me. There is enough handguns to fit any niche now. Find the one that fits you and go with it.
  12. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I'm not much of pistol guy, I see pistols as a means to get to my rifle.

That said, I love 1911's, but hate all the work I need to do to them to get them the way I like them.

There is something to be said for taking a pistol out of the box, and just accepting it's ugliness and reliability.

I'm currently looking for a Glock 17 or 19, But I'm keeping my Colt OM 1911.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  13. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    it is what it is...............the new generation four i think is the better gun,i also like the glocks because of all the after market parts available.i have changed the barrels and trigger groups in mine and ill shoot against any other carry pistol. old semperfi
  14. johnlives4christ

well if i had to get rid of one of my guns, it'd probably be the glock. i can get another one and right back in the groove. but a good 1911 or smith revolver... that would hurt
  15. Dr342

Dr342 New Member

I never cared for the composite handguns. I have shot a number of Glocks but I just dont care for them. If I was in the market for a new Handgun, Sig would be my only choice.
  16. kobsw

kobsw Member

This gun is 10 years old and is my primary carrie gun. It has 500 rounds through it with just 1 FTE that was quickly cleared.

It's not the nicest but it's a dependable shooter that's all business.

What's not to like?

[​IMG]

kobsw
  17. johnlives4christ

1 failure in 500 rounds is not a very good rate. neither is 500 rounds in 10 years. thats only 1 box every year. unless you have another glock to practice with then there is no way you're proficient with your carry gun
  18. kobsw

kobsw Member

John thanks for your comments all of which you are entitled to regardless of whether they are based on known facts or at best speculative conjecture.

I'm always open to learning something new since I've certainly not gotten to that point in my life where I can safely say that I know it all.

Regards,

kobsw
  19. johnlives4christ

i cant say i know it all thats for sure. but i can say with most certainty that a man that only shoots 50 rounds from his gun every year is not going to be nowhere near as proficient with it as a man that shoots 50 rounds a week from his gun.

not to say that a person cannot be safe or a fairly decent shot only shooting 50 rounds a year, but to say the more a person shoots the better they get. if you do dry fire exercises and maintain familiarity with your gun you will keep the learning curb up and be more proficient then by not practicing at all. or even if you practice with another type of gun, say a sig. while it's not the best idea to practice mostly with one type of gun and then carry another, it can be done.

if you only fire 50 rounds a year, and dont do anything else to further your ability to control and implement your firearm properly the you need to step it up.

i can use me for an example. i had a glock 22, and i sold it and ended up getting a 1911. then about a year later i got another glock22. when i started shooting it, even after having shot 3 others in the past quite a lot, i was not up to speed. while i was able to handle the gun safely i was not able to shoot it with any accuracy or speed. it was like i had not ever shot one before.
  20. Boris

Boris Former Guest

one failure in 500 and 500 rounds in 10 years. I would have to shoot that gun for another 30 years at the rate you are for it make me think it was a fluke like an ammo problem or something.........

Then I would carry it..