Love or Hate Glocks

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by dbltap, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Why not. Just dont get rid of that Glock! Ya need sumtin' for zombies.....

Every now and again I carry my 1895 Nagant for a housegun. I carry it with 32 S&W Longs by Magtech. The 98 grain SJHP. This round has a good amount more pop than the LRN loads and is actualy going faster than the 73 grain loads from my P32 that I carry from time to time as a house gun. So as I see it it has enough power for defense and it is pretty much a SA gun since the DA is so freakin heavy on the thing, but it can be done DA..

You could carry in one of them drop leg rigs, the original tactical thigh holster lol.......
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i've been known to keep a colt single action in 45 colt loaded up next to the night stand, i too think it has been defending folks for well over 100 years no reason it won't work now
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i wont be getting rid of my glock yet.

i dont much like drop leg rigs though. they got to be tied down to be happy... and that makes my leg no happy.

would sure reduce the risk of accidental or negligent discharges. not that i ever have a problem with that
  4. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 New Member

Hate em. Too light for accurate target shooting. I prefer an all metal frame for less recoil. I've never carried one though.
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

of as already suggested here you can get a replacement frame made in either steel or aluminum which is still subject to cracking but it will add weight to the gun. which does defeats the whole purpose of a plastic gun ... :p
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

What would you guys have to say about the .40 S&W Glocks? I know not all of them explode, but what I heard is that in order for Glock handguns, as well as many other handguns, to feed reliably, they leave more of their chamber unsupported. .40 S&W is a pretty high pressure round to begin with. Plus if you are shooting overloaded rounds, that could lead to a kaboom. From what I understand, 9x19 is not as high energy as .40 S&W.

As far as Glocks go, yeah, I think they serve their intended purpose well. I mean obviously it's hard to compare it to say, a 1911. But I mean it's reliable, it's inexpensive, it is available in a wide range of options as far as what rounds you want. I'd give Glock a chance. I can shoot the 17 pretty accurately. I'd rather have a Glock than some other guns I've shot/handled in the past.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  7. Boris

Boris Former Guest

SAAMI 40 caliber and 9x19mm is loaded to a max of 35,000psi. Same exact pressure for both. SAAMI +P 9x19mm is 38,500psi. CIP standard psi for 9x19mm is 39,200psi.

9x19mm brass is as a design ALOT stronger than 40S&W. The case for 40 caliber was designed for a fully supported chamber, Glock pushes the limits on the cases strength.
  8. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

I personally think that the .40 S&W round is a compromise for shooters that couldn't handle 10mm.

If you are a strong person who works out, get a 10mm.
    If yer a wimp, get a .40 Short & Wimpy.

Just my view... brutal, but precise...much like my Glock 20 (10mm) :D

If you don't like the feel of a Glock, Daw Wesson makes a 1911 version in 10mm :)
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  9. BobMcG

BobMcG Active Member Supporting Member

Precise? Say what?

Wait, I get it, you're a comedian right?

It's your view alright and you're entitled to it, but maybe you should clean your lenses. I mean, I've heard a lot of strange theories before but this one certainly takes the cake.
  10. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay New Member

I dont currently own a Glock and do favor revolvers but I do own three semi autos. I had a Model 17 when they first came out and it kind of left a sour taste in my mouth. But my experiences through the years with other Glocks as they have matured have given me a very positive additude towards them. While the Glock would not be my first choice if I was limited to one gun I would feel very comfortable with one. If a man could only have one semi auto handgun for all around use I'm sure he could find a Glock to fill his requirements.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  11. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

anyone that suggests getting a 10mm either owns stock in an ammo company or in reloading equipment. expensive and hard to get is what comes to mind. not completely useless but much like the 41 magnum and 357 sig.... almost. i'd like to get a smith 1006 though. dunno why. i'd take a 40 over a 10 any day though for ammo availability. if ammo was the same price i probably would reconsider
  12. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

You guyz who knock the kaboom issue with the .40's need to take a close look at some of the more recent barrels, esp. compared to those that had the prob. The unsupported area has gone away. It never existed with 9mm.
    As for the old discussion about power and so forth, do a whole bunch of comparing over here:
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/Gel%20Testing.html
    and finally understand that there is a whole range of pistol loads that create the "desired" wound characteristics. Actual results depend entirely on the skill and luck of the shooter.
    As for the aesthetic appeal of a firearm, I think you guyz are confused about what guns do. I do not buy Glocks to look at, although I find them to be entirely appealing, because form is dictated by function, and function dictates the look of the Glock. There is simply no firearm on earth that is more durable, reliable and functional. Get over it.
    As for the discussion regarding the 10 auto. I like the feel of the 20 best of all, but I just don't need a 180 gr. bullet going 1,300 fps. Alliant sez that my 124 gr. Golden Saber load for the 9mm is going 1,234 fps. If I can't do what needs to be done with a pistol using that load, I just have no business using a pistol!
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  13. denny 714

denny 714 Member

I just can't stand the way they look. I know a lot of people swear by them but, I personally don't care for them!

Denny G.
  14. BobMcG

BobMcG Active Member Supporting Member

Not too sure who's "knocking" the GLOCKABOOM issue but my comments were out of two firsthand experiences with the event. I did however track the problem down to my using pre-1994 Federal premium ammo in my 22 Gen-3 which I didn't realize was a big no-no. It was just my luck that I couldn't figure out the problem until my 22 blew-up twice. I rebuilt it twice and reserved the remaining inventory of said ammo to my other .40s. Problem solved. That being said, yes you can eliminate the problem by purchasing an aftermarket barrel. (Not by getting another factory Glock barrel though that I know of.)

Check out this thread.
    And this website to learn more about GLOCKABOOM.