The Firearms Forum banner

Low Brass once fired hulls not chambering

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rodneyO 
#1 ·
I purchased some win AA hulls for reloading and about half of them won't seat all the way in the chamber of my Mossberg 500, jambs the pump up so I can't extract them and won't fire. I cleaned the chamber thoroughly and checked the diameter of the ones that won't seat and compared them to the ones that will and the difference is within specs. The ones that are to big are .813 and above (to .820) , but all below .811 will fit. .812 is a hit and miss. My guess is that the chamber that it was originally fired from is substantially larger than my Mossberg? Any ideas?

#3 ·
Sounds like that is exactly what happened. All hulls of unknown pedigree should be run through a re-sizer, MEC makes a base re-sizer that returns the brass to factory specs. Some shot shell reloaders have this feature also. The height of the brass no longer means anything, this is a carry over from the early days of paper hulls. The brass' only purpose is to head space the hull on and give the extractor something to grab.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help guys.....as the wife always says.....read the instructions. Thing is, I've been reloading brass for a while, so when the reloader came all together with the extractor and everything.... I thought the sizing die was built in the Lee load all. I had been only reloading hulls that were originally fired from my gun and of course was not having any issues until I bought some once fired hulls. I have went over ALL the instructions and now know what I am doing....hopefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.