Low Fat Venison Lasagne

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Just One Shot, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Just One Shot

Just One Shot New Member

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground venison
    2 jars of your spaggetti sauce
    1 small or medium onion (depends on how much you like onion)
    1 can of sliced mushrooms
    garlic powder (not garlic salt)
    1 box of lasagne noodles
    1 egg
    1 small tub of fat free ricotta cheese
    4 cup bag of low fat motzerella
    oregano or parsley
    No stick cooking spray
    Aluminum foil
    Garlic bread

Preheat oven to 350

In a medium size bowl put in the ricotta cheese, 1 egg and 1 cup of the motzerella. Mix by hand until evenly blended. Set aside at room temp. while preparing the rest so it will be easier to spread.

Chop onion into small pieces

Put 12 lasagne noodles on to boil per instructions on the box.

Brown the meat in a large (I prefer an iron) skillet. While cooking ad the onion and evenly coat with the garlic powder (I like alot, season to taste).

While everything is cooking take an 8x10 cake pan and pour 1/2 a jar of your spagetti sauce in it around swirl it around until the bottom of the pan is evenly coated (This keeps the noodles from burning and sticking).

When the meat is browned, ad the mushrooms and pour in the remaining 1 1/2 jars of sauce and stir. You don't have to heat the sauce completely just mix it up.

When noodles are done drain them and run under cold water for easy handling. In the pan with the sauce put 4 noodles over the sauce slightly over lapping them as you lay them in. just make sure they reach side to side in the pan.

Take half of your meat and sauce mixture and pour over this layer of noodles. Use the back of a large spoon to spread it out evenly without disturbing the noodles. After spreading the sauce lift the pan and gently tap it on the table or counter top to even it out.

Now take half of the cheese mix and take a table spoon and drop it on top of the sauce mixture. Try to drop about a half a spoon at a time and space them evenly across the top. Once you have spooned it all out take the back of your spoon and gently blend it across the surface. Once again lift the pan and gently tap it on the counter top so that it's even.

Add 4 more noodles and repeat with the rest of the sauce and top with the rest of the cheese mixture (remember to tap it so it's even).

Layer it all with the last 4 noodles. Take the remaining 3 cups of motzerella and spread it evenly over the top layer of noodles (see why you tap it?). Take your parsley or oregano and sprinkle the top layer of the motzerella.

Tear off enough of your foil to completely cover and seal the pan. Take the foil shiny side and coat it with the no stick spray and put it shiny side down over the pan and seal it all the way around. This keeps the large amount of cheese from sticking when you remove the foil.

Place in oven and bake for 1 Hr. Remove from oven and remove foil and allow it to cool (at least 10 mins. if you can resist :)) while you make your garlic bread.

I usually slice it across and end to end in thirds which gives you 12 generous portions. This feeds my family of 2 big eaters (my son and I eat 3 pieces) and my wife (usually 1 1/2 - 2 pcs.) leaving 4 pcs. for leftovers.

With the large amount of sauce in this recipe it is a great meal to microwave. Just spread some of the sauce over the top layer of cheese and it won't get rubbery when you reheat it.

Enjoy! ;)
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Sounds really good!

Crpdeth
  3. Just One Shot

Just One Shot New Member

Oh, it is! Let me know how you like it if you try it.