Low report .22 rounds?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Hells Toy Master, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Hells Toy Master

Hells Toy Master New Member

:confused:
    Ok a buddy of mine insists that there is a sub sonic, low report .22LR round out there, but when I ask him for any more info like where can I get some he says he dose not know. :mad:

Do they really exist?

If they do then has anyone used them before and can tell me if they are any good?:eek:

Thank you for your time.

HTM
  2. zb338

zb338 New Member

There are subsonic rounds out there. I have never heard the low report attached to
    them. Remington makes them. It goes under the name of Remington SubSonic 38
    Hollow Point and 38 Hollow Point +. You can see it on-line just ask your search engine
    to get you Remington Firearms. If you want quiet shooting CCI makes CB Longs which
    are really quiet. CCI also makes a subsonic .22. They are all good it depends on what
    you are looking to do. I live in N.J. where quiet is the name of the game. I use .22
    short hollow points. They kill rats nicely. I also put the local Police Force onto them
    for killing pigeons from local churches and county and town buildings.

Zeke
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

ZB is correct. My father recently bought some of the Remington subsonics (accidentally - he didn't know what they were) to use in a single shot. When he started shooting them, we all wondered why they were so quiet. I looked and realized what they were. I tried a few (about 10) in my 10/22 to see if they had enough power to cycle the action and they functioned without an issue... I know, that's not exactly a major test, but I had heard that they wouldn't cycle in semi-autos. They weren't exactly "quiet", but they basically sounded like a hand clap.
  4. red14

red14 Active Member

Aguila sells no powder and super no powder 22s. Very quiet. Not much range.
  5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

If you can go with .22 shorts, I'd recomment the CCI target shorts. We've used 40,000+ at camp the last four summers. Quiet and accurate. They won't cycle a semiauto, but are great for bolt or lever guns or revolvers .

The CCI shorts are very much quieter than Remington subsonics and they hit harder than CB caps. Be sure to get the "target" shorts with the unplated lead bullets.
  6. res45

res45 New Member

7. wingspar

wingspar Member

Never heard of this stuff till recently, and still really unsure of what it does, or how powerful the bullets are. More powerful than a pellet gun?

.22LR Aguila Colibri (Quiet Ammo)
  8. Willie

Willie Active Member

I use the CCI .22 sub sonics and they are quieter than my pellet gun. The spring in the pellet gun makes more noise than .22 subs. I use them on coons and possums etc. Sometimes I believe I can actually see the bullet as it is so slow. But it hits hard enough to kill. I get mine at Walmart.When they have some.
  9. cakes

cakes New Member

Aguila Colibris from a Romanian M69 bolt action rifle took care of a feral cat problem I was having. They shoot to point of aim and feed from the magazine.

The only thing you hear is the striker. Velocities are so low that most air rifles outperform them.

I also shoot the Colibris from a Taurus pistol. I can't think of the model right now, but it's the tip-up barrel style automatic. It sounds like a toy cap gun and provides decent accuracy out to about 20 feet or so.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

colibri and super colibri. They are great for stray dogs and cats. The colibris wont fire from a rifle (bullet gets stuck in barrel) but the super colibris will if the barrel isnt over 22 inches (believe me, I have done extensive testing). They sound like dry firing the rifle. fun stuff...;)
  11. cakes

cakes New Member

I haven't had any problems shooting Colibris from several rifles. They won't cycle an auto, of course, but I've fired hundreds of them without getting a bullet stuck in a barrel. BUT, I am aware of the possibility so I check the bore if I don't see/hear the bullet hit the target.