1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

LR 308 Buffer tube/ buffer question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Ailoth, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Ailoth

Ailoth New Member

Hey all, thanks for looking at my question!

Ok, I have a DPMS LR 308, and the only modification I've done is to slap on a new buttstock. It's the CAA SRS Pictured below:
    [​IMG]

Since the install, the buffer inside the rifle has been too long for the bolt to catch with an empty mag. this is because the screw that holds the stock in place is too long and is extending too far into the inside of the buffer tube. I will be getting a new screw (if I can find one) that is shorter to take care of this problem.

My question is more about the buffer. Currently, I have a buffer that is 5.285 inches long. I am wanting to buy an Enidine Hydraulic buffer, but was wondering if there would be any problems if I put in a 3.25" or 2.5" buffer instead of the standard length 5.25" buffer.

Summary Question:

Can I put a smaller buffer in the standard A2 buffer tube without causing any problems with bolt carrier? If any, what problems might arise from a shorter than standard buffer?

Thank you for your replies!
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. Ailoth

Ailoth New Member

Well.. pardon this shameless bump, but it looks like I've gotten quite a few views yet still no answer. Is there anyone out there that can tell me the dangers (if any) of putting a smaller buffer inside of an LR-308 buffer tube?

The way I see it, is that the bolt might hit and/or wear at the mid-point, right where the bolt carrier expands from small to large. It looks like it might catch there, and not stop because of the buffer. Is this normal? or is there another buffer that i'll need to be looking for?

Thank you for reviewing this again. Hopefully i'll have some speculation, if not any solid answers.

Regards,
    Ailoth
  3. Grandpa1948

Grandpa1948 New Member

I wish I had an answer for your problem, but you are way beyond me. I have the same gun, LR-308, and I can't get it to feed properly. I have narrowed it down to a "failure to eject". Tried various mags and ammo, still won't go more than 2 or 3 rounds until it jams. Hope you get your problem worked out, just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain.
  4. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Im not an expert by any means, so hopefully those who do know will chime in. A shorter/lighter buffer would increase the cycling rate of the rifle. Also since the spring/buffer isnt heavy enough, your bolt, etc will take an un-necessary beating and cause damage to it and the rifle.

I have a Fulton lower with an 18" DPMS Bull Barrel upper assembly with a stock A2 butt stock. So I really cannot comment on whats best as far as buffers/springs go for your new stock. If no one else chimes in with an answer then I think the best solution is to call Enindine and ask what they would suggest you can use in your .308.
  5. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Again, Im no expert. You may have a weak extractor spring. You should see some noticable marks on the rims of your brass indicating the extractor is slipping off the case rim. Which I think is a sign of a weak extractor.

They have extractor spring upgrades for AR-15's. but I would imagine you could toss in an upgrade on your 308 bolt as well.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm%20extractor%20spring%20upgrade.htm

Hopefully this will aid you in the search of an answer to your problems.