LTS?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

shooter22
    (10/29/01 11:00:27 pm)
    Reply LTS?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What would be a going price for a Ruger 10/22 stainless action? I really don't want Stainless, buy I got a chance at one. Also, have you ever tried the Magnum Research 22 match barrel?

shooter22

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/30/01 8:49:45 am)
    Reply Re: LTS?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shooter, remember that the 10/22 uses an aluminum receiver and none are stainless. One has a sealer (stainless looking) and the other has an enamel type sealer (blue style) and in my opinion they are worth the same, as the blued can be stripped and made to look the same. I have never used a MR barrel, but have used many others and have yet to find one that will out shoot a BC barrel verses the dollar invested. Once you get in the MR barrel price.....there are others I would look at and MR`s would fall to the bottom of that group. It depends on what you are after......a tricked $2,000 10/22 or one that will hold it`s on-on any given day. In my opinion, the fitting of the internals is more important than the barrel....as most barrels will shoot the same(within limits) including the factory barrel, it just gets hotter-faster and will walk your patterns. LTS
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

shooter22
    (10/30/01 5:00:25 pm)
    ANy thoughts about the carbon fiber barrels? They say the heat dissipation is real good in them. I knew about the recievers being aluminum. Just called it Stainless out of habit.

Did you ever get to try out a Hart barrel?

shooter22

LIKTOSHOOT
    (10/30/01 6:20:36 pm)
    I currently have four 10/22`s now these sport BC/CF barrels two Tri-Ports and two non. These are 17" barrels even though sold as 18" and Doc can atest to their ability to shoot straight. I shot one with a 50 round mag. one time and the barrel heat was nothing and I did not experience any type of walking, these were rapid shots fired at 25 yards and could be covered by a quarter.....all 50. The hart barrels are fine, but I have always come back to BC barrels and for the dollar spent they are hard to beat. The real tricks are learned by trial and error in the custom guns and that is how I learned......many dollars and not so good return for them. Doc might disagree with me, but stick any custom barrel on a 10/22 and do nothing more, give me a factory barrel and let me rework the internals instead.....I will hold my own. Remember the .22 is the variable, not the gun. This is where the dollar and shooting time comes in. Here`s how I build one (Basic Guide)

What it will be used for.
    What distance.
    Target....Hunting
    Ammo sensitive/Not
    And 98% of the time I start with a complete factory gun, then pick several brands of ammo, then see what the factory gun will do the best with. Once the best brand of ammo the factory gun likes, thats where I begin and build to that. If at any point during this build up, the gun changes(ammo) I stop, then bring the same bunch of starting ammo back out and start over, then pick the best again and continue. It is a long process for me and sometimes takes me over a year to complete a gun.....from start to finished product and I have taught myself many tricks along the way, but my finished product will look no different than a bolt together parts gun. But it will shoot a circle around them. I always like to start with a complete factory gun, you can sell off the parts and recoupe some of the cost to off set the new cost......plus this allows you to see progress, you learn what makes a difference and what does not. Most of my time is put into the internals, with the barrel falling last on the list. But I do have barrel tricks too......hehehehehehehe. LTS

gpostal
    (10/31/01 10:08:37 am)
    lts I have a friend that has one ,he claims to have twelvehundred dollars into it ,says it shoots a 1/4" group at 100 yds. he wants to trade me for a average pistol ,what kind of market is there for a twelvehundred dollars .22 ?

i will call him later get the detail on what it has had done to it

LIKTOSHOOT
    (10/31/01 10:40:29 am)
    Bigger than you would think, the 10/22 market has NO boundries.....only limited by your wallet. I have seen upper end 10/22`s at 5K........

shooter22
    (10/31/01 4:46:29 pm)
    real stainless receiver alone is 335. Stainless bolt is near 200.

shooter22