LTS...

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/12/02 9:01:51 pm)
    Reply LTS...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My nephew has a barrel that he bought about two years ago. It is a fluted barrel. He got it from a guy in California. I got the guys name from Hogue representatives. He was building barrels for them. It looks like there is a concentric ring mark about exactly half way down the barrel. It has a crown barrel, and it does not look like a two piece barrel. Is there any way that it can have a two piece sleve inside the fluted barrel? Any Ideas? Regardles how much cleaning you do, it is alwasy there.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/12/02 10:11:50 pm)
    Reply ***
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shooter22, is this ring inside the bore?? If that`s how I`m reading it. Yes I have seen barrels like that, I call them double drilled.....though I`m sure there is a technical term for them. I have yet to see one done right, ie: perfect. They are blanks from another maker usally, then, instead of having the correct length bore stroke for drilling or hammering, it is centered and done from both ends...."or" in some cases it is changed in mid-stream. Now for the good (?) news, some claim it balances the barrels harmonic`s.....I disagree with that line of thinking though, (my onion only) as I think that or any disruption of the barrels harmonic`s are critical to preformance. Is the barrel stamped anywhere, numbers or letters???? What is the total length?? Best LTS

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/12/02 10:26:14 pm)
    Reply Re: ***
    Yes it is in the barrel about half way down. He says it shoots great groups. He just noticed the ring after this cleaning.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/12/02 10:59:33 pm)
    I have a sporter weight with the same thing, it`s 22 inches and shoots fine. LTS

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/13/02 8:23:28 am)
    Shooter22, just received an email telling me I am stupid for believing what I wrote above. So forget what I said. LTS

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 8/13/02 4:47:35 pm

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/13/02 5:36:59 pm)
    Someone not brave enough to post a reply? I'll come closer to believing you than some annon. emailer.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/13/02 7:52:39 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: ***
    I truly hate annonymous people that are afraid to put their opinion out on the boards.

Whether LTS is right or wrong is not the question anymore (and if it involves a .22 rifle I'll tend to go with LTS and believe him) but it becomes a question of is someone trying to undermine people here? I've gotten one or two annonymous e-mails though not so down on me for what I said just more of ain't now way I'm going to find what I want.

Weird!

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/13/02 8:17:55 pm)
    It don`t bother me, I`m mostly wrong anyway....that`s how I learn. I do have another opinion on this though, being a former welder and around machining equipment. Sometimes worn or inferior tooling will cause runout on a lathe. Since the bore of a .22 is small, this could also be flex in the tool or runout in the lathe itself, still a product of the maker....as that should be allowed for.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/13/02 11:49:50 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: ***
    This brings to mind and article I read about barrel making. The barrel smith looks down the barrel at a bright light, he can see a reflection on one side or the other and bends the barrel either way until it is perfect all the way around.

I read this a couple years ago and it was an article about why the Savage rifles are so accurate and the lost art that they practice to straighten every new barrel before it is installed.

just my .02