Lube 9mm

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by frjeff, Sep 27, 2009.

1. frjeff

frjeff New Member

I am new to reloading and have reloaded a few 9mm and .38SPL. Now also have a .45ACP, so will begin reloading them also.

I use a Lee Turret Press and have all carbide dies.

Someone told me that I should be lubing the 9mm casings because they are tapered, even though I thought no lube was necessary with carbide dies.

Thoughts???

Jeff
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF, Jeff. I've never lubed a 9mm case in my entire life, neither has the man who mentored my reloading. After thousands of 9mm without any lube, I think it's proven to be unwarranted. If you would like to use it, it don't see how it would be "wrong", it would probably make progressive loading a bit easier; for a turret press, i don't think you'd notice the difference. I'll try it out this coming week myself and see what happens, just for S/G's
  3. army mp

army mp Member

I know there are guys that lube casings in carbide dies. But its not necessary . when I started out loading years ago. The only Dies available were Steel. And cases had to be lubed. I have loaded many thousands of 9MM rounds, as well as many other handgun Caliber’s in carbide dies. and have not used lube. I would think Lubing would under size the case as the Dies are made to be used without lube. Thus lube would over working the case. And cases may not last as long.
  4. olehippy

olehippy New Member

Wooleyworm and Army are correct as usual, no need to lube when using 9mm carbide dies. Like Army I’m an old buzzard that grew up using steel dies and always lubed brass. Even though its not required with carbide dies a small amount of lube does make the brass fit into the resizing die easier, I think smoother.

I load a lot of 9mm (maybe the majority of what I handload) and I have gotten into the habit of lightly lubing every 3rd or 4th case, and I like the results as well as ease of operation with either of my presses (a Lee single stage and a RCBS 5 stage progressive). BTW I only use a lube pad, and only keep it lightly greased, you do not want lube to build up inside your die.

Just my thoughts here, I’m open to suggestions if someone has a better way!

Miles
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Like already mentioned, I also never have lubed a 9mm. I kind of like the idea of lightly lubing every 3rd or 4th case so I might try that, as woolleyworm says for S/G.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Lubing straight walled cases (Yes, that includes 9mm Luger) is not necessary with carbide dies.

The effort to resize 9mm cases is so small compared to the larger rifle cases that lubing would make little difference to the operation of the press handle of any well made reloading press. My Dillon (or my arm) never even whimpers when doing pistol cartridges. I doubt that any difference would be noted if the cases were lubed for sizing and it would add still another step as you must remove the sizing compound before shooting those reloads. Cases and chamber must be dry and lube free or the walls of the case can slide in the chamber, greatly increasing the force the bolt of the gun has to absorb.

LDBennett