lube / carbide dies

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

so far I've only reloaded rifle brass. have not dones any pistol / used carbide dies.

now after colelcting a couple pistol caliber dies.. I see may say no lube needed.

does that mean it's optional.. or you can not lube it?

any downside to lubing with a carbide die?

one of the dies i got for free.. with no paperwork... 38spl. are all pistol caliber dies carbide?

next.. if carbide dies need no lube.. why are the rifle dies not made carbide?

thanks
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have RCBS carbide dies for my .38/.357 reloading and have never used lubricant.

My opinion is that using lubricant would only foul the die over time and you would need to take it apart to clean it unnecessarily.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

if your loading FMJ no lube needed loading cast lead use lube and resizing dies to ensure correct size
  4. soundguy

seems about the same issue with a regular steel die for a rifle. IE.. clean as needed no?

again.. I've only used non carbide dies on rifle brass...

speaking of 38 / 357 same die set huh?
  5. soundguy

would lube damage something or just not needed?

say I had a block of rifle brass out and spray lubed it and some drifted over to my block of pistol brass.

issues? or just not needed / but won't hurt?

sometimes I prep LOTS of brass at once and have a few hundred rounds out in loading blocks all over the bench and tables.. just need to know if I need to segregate my pistol brass if lube will hurt it or the dies..

thanks.

PS.. not arguing.. just trying to find out.

and again.. if carbide diese need no lube.. why don't they make the rifle dies out of carbide?

on a side note.. saw some dillon bench die sets.. wow.. 60$ a pop.. man!!
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  6. X Ring

X Ring Member

not needed, but won't hurt anything
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

FMJ rounds today are
    1 high precision made

2 dont have the grease slots

but wont hurt to lube em
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Lube will not hurt the carbide die, but as said you will probably end up having to clean it much more often.

Why don't they make carbide dies for rifle loading - don't really know, but I would think that it would have something to do with the bottle neck.

When you use the word Dillon, then you are talking expensive but I understand that they are easier to take apart to clean than other dies. I have a Dillon progressive press but I use Lee dies in it because of costs.
  9. soundguy

ok cool, so I can keep all my loading blocks on the old wood table that I spray lube on... keeps it all cleaner if I'm only spraying in one location, so I just do all my case prep on 1 table... if it won;t hurt if there is overdrift, I'm good to go. I won't actively try to lube them.. but now know I don't ahve to move them off to prep either.

thanks guys.

knew I could ask here and get an answer.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i have a bottle brush that i wrap a chux wipe around and pass down through the centre to clean up brush part holds the cloth part close in and wipes well

enjoy!!
  11. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't know if lube will harm carbide dies, and I wish they made carbide rifle dies...it would make life easier, not as messy.

My RCBS dies came set up for .357, with an adapter that replaces something in one of the dies that will make it work with the .38 cases.

Jack, I'm not sure I follow your comment...When reloading my .357 cases I'm using carbide dies to resize. I don't use lube. I use lead round nose flat point heads and put a slight crimp when seating the bullets, to hold them in place.

My .223 is a different kettle of fish. When full length sizing I use lube; when neck sizing I don't use lubricant. I'm using SMK in those cases.

<edit:> Just saw that three or four posts got added by the time I finished this post :)
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  12. soundguy

yep.. I stopped at the reload table at the show and needed to get a couple shell holders .. that's where my wife bought me the uni decapper i've been wanting. anyway.. while there I looked at their die sets.. had a stack of dillon.. and 60$ a pop or so! had some lee, rcbs.. and used lyman. had a lyman 222rem set used, for 15$ I almost picked up.. but someone grabbed it first. I was also looking at a used 38spl set in a baggie.. lloked older.. but looked fine.. no paperwork. I bought a bunch of projectiles I needed, and a couple pounds of powder ( win 231 and some H universal ).. plus found a rcbs 375 H&Hmag die set I've been looking for...... seller told me i could have the used/bagged 38spl die set I kept looking at for free after I bought all that other stuff.. :) so i sure didn't turn him down.

I don't know if that set is carbide or not ?
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If it is carbide, you can tell by looking into it from the "bottom". If it is carbide, it will look like it has a sleeve inside.
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

there'll be some die sets in the giveaways coming up , LEE ;)
  15. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I would say that you are on the right track. As a machinest Carbide has to be ground it can not (that i know of) be machined. So the price would be very high. If you look at the sizing die you will see thats its just a small insert pressed into the steel body. To grind the full body and the neck would be a pain. Not to say that it could not be done with the high tek machines that are now out there.
  16. soundguy

so a price issue..e tc. that's why we can still get lee and rcbs dies for 30$ a set and not say.. 80$

makes sense!
  17. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Jack appears to be thinking you mean lubing bullets >if your loading FMJ no lube needed loading cast lead use lube and resizing dies to ensure correct size< and >FMJ rounds today are 1 high precision made 2 dont have the grease slots but wont hurt to lube em<

My understanding is you are asking about lubing cases?

As someone else said, lube won't hurt anything, but it is not necessary.

You asked if all pistol dies are carbide. No. If they aren't marked "CARBIDE", it's a steel die, and you need to lube the cases.

Carbide dies work because there is a carbide sizing ring at the bottom of the case. They are only made for straight wall cases. I have heard there are some (extremely expensive) carbide bottleneck rifle dies. They have two carbide rings -one at the bottom to size the case body and one near the top to size the neck.
  18. soundguy

yep.. deffinatley was refering to case sizing.

thanks
  19. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sorry i'll get me glasses on
  20. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

You can lube or not lube with carbide straight wall dies. As for Carbide bottle neck dies you still HAVE to LUBE the case like always.