lube / carbide dies

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I like to lube every 4th or 5th case when using carbide dies. Its not needed but it sure keeps things working smooth.
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I have a set of Dillon Carbide 357 Sig dies. I don't lube those. And that's a bottle neck cartridge and they go in and out of the die just fine.

Dillon's carbide rifle dies still require lubing... so I see no advantage to having those if your cases still need to be lubed..
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Carbid rifle dies are for guys that are running a 1050 and cranking out 2k rounds in a loading session. They are for HIGH volume rifle shooters as the carbide doesn't wear as fast as steel. So I have been told.

Or

They are for the guys with "Have Money am Stupid" and just like to throw around that their rifle dies are $150 a set because they have to have the best.
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i guess if I was rich.. and did want the best.. and could get die sets for 5x the regular cost.. that would be cool.. for now I guess rcbs 30$ die's are fine with me.. :)
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I think that even if I were rich, I would still use RCBS or LEE dies. In my opinion, they are just as good as the $80-100 set of dies.
  6. soundguy

i saw somw dillon bench rest dies at a show. rices scared me so bad I didn't even want to touch the pretty blue boxes.. ;)
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Amen to that. I went over to the Dillon section at the shop a little while ago, looking for a stand. All I could do with the dies was stare at it and it's price tag, and my local shop is very cheap compared to other shops in this area!!
  8. soundguy

i may be a bottom feeder with 2 single stage presses and mostly used dies I buy at shows or trade for.. but I like having cheap fun when I can :) cuz.. plenty of the rest of it ain't cheap.. :)
  9. DBMJR1

DBMJR1 New Member

I've reloaded thousands of .38's on a single stage Lee Breechlock, using RCBS carbide dies. I don't lube those cases.

When I re-size .357's, sometimes I'll spritz a bit of lube on them, just to make it easier.
  10. soundguy

can't wait to try..
  11. dbach

dbach Member

The way I understand it.

Straight wall pistol brass and carbide dies ..... case lube optional.
    Rifle brass and steel dies ..... case lube required.

I have never seen carbide rifle dies. Please understand that I did not say they don't exist. I said I've never seen them.

Tell someone something is not made and sure as the world, someone will show you one. Happens every time.