Lube for 22lr bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by johnlives4christ, Jun 25, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i want to try lubing some bulk 22 ammo to see if i can get some better accuracy, not that it isnt accurate out of my targetmaster. i know that match 22 ammo has lube on it.. but it's pricey and im well... cheap.

so does anyone have suggestion for a bullet lube and how to use it, since i've never reloaded or done anything like this. i have heard of people using all kinds of weird crap for lube and saying it works, so any suggestions of shadetree bullet lubes?

seen in a western once.. this bad guy with a long range buffalo gun, he took the cartridge and lubed the bullet beside his nose on his greasy face... i cant imagine how skin oil could work though

thanks for the advice yall

God bless
    ~john
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

22 bullets come one of two ways. They either come as lead bullets with a wax-type lube on them, or what looks like jacketed, but is really just a very light copper "wash", with the copper wash acting as the lube.

The bulk 22s you are talking about are the copper washed bullets. They are lubed. Adding any other lubricant to them will add bulk in the chamber (raising pressure), attract dirt (which can damage your barrel) and possibly (depending on the type of lube you decide on) seep beneath the bullet and kill the powder (giving you either a misfire or a stuck bullet).

I read in a novel, once, where the professional hitman was handloading his "deadly killer bullets". Weighed the bullets in his hand, measured the powder into the cases using a silver teaspoon, and lubed the bullets by rubbing them on the side of his nose. :D I weren't real impressed by his reloading practices.
  3. Southern Boy

Southern Boy New Member

Hey, i use beeswax/jojoba oil mix. but most animal fat substances work okay too. makes a bigger difference than u might expect. The main thing is you dont need but a little. on a side note, When I was taking automaotive cert. classes in the early 80's, i was told there is nothing better for needle valves than a little nose grease. You could put the thing back togather, let it sit for months, and when you installed it and filled with fuel, the valve would not stick, suposedly there aint nothing like it.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Alpo is right on ;) There's alot more that goes into the top quality match ammo than just lube. I doubt you'd even see any positive results from adding additional lube to the bulk ammo, probably just negative and possibly (even though slight) dangerous.

For cleaning on my .22's, I do use a special .22 rimfire ONLY cleaner. It's made by Titan Arms, called R-F Glaze. you can look it up online. I have been using it for about a year now, the 10/22 and 40x both like it.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have used the federal ammo trays upside down to hold the bullets still and sprayed them with frankford arsenal drop out bullet mould release. Its a dry graphite release agent and works well with .22 bullets. It sorta acts as a moly coating raising velocities and prevents fouling. I must stress to you that you need but just a bit, perhaps a little overspray from a brisk sweep with the can and you have lubed .22 bullets.
  6. johnlives4christ

well thanks for the replies so far yall.

well what got me to thinking about it again was that a few months back i remember a post that a guy said he had shot some match ammo that had a greasy lube on it, then shot some cheap stuff right after, and the lube that was left in the barrel contributed to improved accuracy for the cheap ammo for several shots.

so i just want to experiment and try some stuff out.

i have heard of people using boiled linseed oil... or types of beeswax mixed with stuff. i am thinking i want to try something i can just dab some on a rag with and wipe off each round before an expected match with my friends, if i could find something that would work.

but im not going to try anything right now until i do some research on it and learn about the dangers of increased pressure more as you stated alpo. i havent done any looking for lubes, just figured i'd as all yall since yall are most of the time informative and knowledgable

~john
  7. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

:D Lord knows Glocknut could probably come up w/ some unique bodily fluids for lubrication...:eek:
  8. johnlives4christ

glocknut likes his guns like he likes his women.... thin... black.... and GREASY :D
  9. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

John, Everyone above is right about attracting dirt. Although I bought a few of those ultimate clip loaders and I give maybe every 3rd load of the hopper a quick blast with silicone spray. It helps the bullets slide into the magazines a lot easier.

I haven't noticed any abnormal build up of dirt in my guns, And the bullets do slide real nice. In fact I cleaned 2 of my MKII's yesterday that had nearly 1000 rounds each through them, Sure they were dirty. But not as bad as you would think with using the silicone spray. Now this spray I'm talking is maybe a 1 second spray over the hopper in the mag loader. Just enough to give them a slight coat and this is over 150 to 200 rounds as I use it maybe every 3 loads of the hopper. maybe this small amount isn't enough to really call them lubed. JUNK
  10. johnlives4christ

hmm i have some silicone release spray. wonder if i might try that.

yesir i know, various lubes attract dirt.. but im not worried about it because of my intended plan. figure what i 'll do is make up a special batch of lubed ammo and keep it in an MTM box, then when me and my friends have some informal shooting matches... after my first pocketfull of 22 ammo, i'll get my special ammo, and really put it to them, but i'll make sure to keep it in the box so it doesnt get dirty.

anyone else think the silicone spray is a good idea to try?

wonder if it could seep into the powder?
  11. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

John, I don't think there is enough on there to seep into the powder. f there is 1/10 of an oz. on 200 rounds that would be saying that is a lot. I just give the hopper a quick shot and dump the bullets in, Swish them around and commence to loading. When the hopper is empty if I can still a little slickness in there, I don't add anymore. Give it a whirl, Maybe it will work for you too.
  12. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

And plastic?
  13. johnlives4christ

surprised gn didnt comment... he musta got him a pizza.... which he also likes like he likes his women. thick-round-and greasy
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

"I like my women like I like my chicken with a little bit of fat on the ends..."

~The great Rodney Carrington~

:D