lubing up yer ram

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by sewerman, Feb 11, 2010.

1. sewerman

sewerman New Member

I have gone the gambit looking for a lube that would go for the long haul.

I tried synthetic oil but it seemed to dissipate or migrate from where I had applied it.

Finally I considered using moly based grease. I happened to think about the Honda moly 60 paste which I have used on final drives on motorcycles. Reputably this Honda 60 pastes has more molybdenum then any other lube/grease on the market, 60% moly hence the name.

Since applying this product to my press ram I have felt a considerable smoothness.
    I still lube the pivots with synthetic oil where the application of this product is impossible but it sure has made a different with the smoothness of the ram!

Should be available at any motorcycle dealer, From what I have read this lube is the standard across the board for final drive units by every manufacturer.

hope this helps,
    sewerman
  2. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I like spray lubes, they don't stay on as long as a grease, but they are easy to apply without getting messy.
  3. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Ballistol
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im with FTK, I just clean and lube mine with rem oil each time I use it. Grease is great but attracts dirt and grime. I am gonna use that moly grease for metal to metal parts in your firearm though.
  6. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

I tried the Rem oil thing.... got tired of the drips, & having to wipe it off to re-oil all the time.

I tried Reese; high pressure, teflon hitch grease, but like JLA said; grease attracts dust, dirt, dog hair & powder. :mad:

I finally would up using Kawasaki chain lube. It sprays on w/ a thick, foaming action & is designed to penetrate into where the O-rings sit, on the inside of the motorcycle chain. The can uses a flexible, plastic tube for the applicator (like WD-40), so you can get it in, under, & around anywhere that might need it.

Once it spreads out, it's thin like oil, & sticky..... so it stays put & doesn't migrate or drip. It doesn't sling off a motorcycle chain doing 180mph so I figured it would be good enough for the green machine. ;)

It works for me..... :rolleyes:

SR :D
  7. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I use a dry lube...
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I tried powdered graphite. It worked ok but was too expensive to buy and have to reapply as often as it needed...
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Have presses gotten that crappy lately? My Rockchucker is over 30 years old. I've got a can of spray silicone sitting on the shelf, where it has been sitting since '96. In that fourteen years, I think I have lubed my ram, maybe, five times.

Y'all really have to lube yours constantly, like this thread seems to be sayin'?
  10. sewerman

sewerman New Member

thanks for sharing the tips.

as the ol' chief says...no lube is better then none!

sewerman
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yup, I got a LEE single stage that has assembled prolly 50,000 cartridges and the ram and linkage are a bit wobbly. it still works just fine but requires lube so it dont squeak...
  12. glocknut

glocknut New Member

:D:D:D:D Oh God...this is killing me... :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

what are you doing here in ammo and reloading anyway mikey. Dont you shoot disposable firearms with disposable ammo??? :ducking: :D