Ludwig Loewe

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

obelix2
    (3/31/01 8:15:10 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Ludwig Loewe
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As far as I know, this company was merged into DWM in 1896. I know some deliveries of Loewe contract rifles were made as late as 1900, but does this company's name on a receiver indicate MANUFACTURE before 1899? As you know, this question is of more than academic interest.

AntiqueDr
    (3/31/01 4:03:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ludwig Loewe
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am guessing you are looking at a M1895 Mauser, maybe Chilean or Peruvian? If so, then yes, Ludwig Loewe manufacture would indicate pre-1899 manufacture.

How's my crystal ball working?

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

obelix2
    (3/31/01 4:51:58 pm)
    Thanks, Doc. Actually, the item in question was a Brazilian 1894. I knew this was pre-99, but I sent him my C&R anyhow. Whatthehell.

Why would anyone want a Brazilian '94 unless they wanted every Mauser ever made (hopeless even for Gates)?

The answer lies in Mario Vargas LLosa's La Guerra del Fin del Mundo." I don't know the translation title (maybe World's End War?, and of course he's Peruvian), but the book deals with a messianic insurrection in Northern Brazil in 1897, and these were the rifles used, finally, to suppress it.

Why did I think anyone would be interested in this obscure corner of history?

AntiqueDr
    (3/31/01 6:41:16 pm)
    Roughly, The War of the End of the World, I believe.

I will not scoff at any attempt to own all the Mausers. I am several thousand dollars into attempting to own all the Winchesters...
    Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (3/31/01 8:45:41 pm)
    Your translation is correct, Doc.

And Obelix, you've scored again. There is no such thing as "obscure history," only "undiscovered."

I too am fascinated with stuff like this, and I knew nothing of this fight. (AND my area study was Modern Latin America! Don't tell anyone, I may lose the degree! )

That purchase just appreciated in value with your knowledge. GOOD STUFF! Thanks again...