1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Ludwig Loewe

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

obelix2
    (3/31/01 8:15:10 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Ludwig Loewe
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As far as I know, this company was merged into DWM in 1896. I know some deliveries of Loewe contract rifles were made as late as 1900, but does this company's name on a receiver indicate MANUFACTURE before 1899? As you know, this question is of more than academic interest.

AntiqueDr
    (3/31/01 4:03:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ludwig Loewe
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am guessing you are looking at a M1895 Mauser, maybe Chilean or Peruvian? If so, then yes, Ludwig Loewe manufacture would indicate pre-1899 manufacture.

How's my crystal ball working?

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

obelix2
    (3/31/01 4:51:58 pm)
    Thanks, Doc. Actually, the item in question was a Brazilian 1894. I knew this was pre-99, but I sent him my C&R anyhow. Whatthehell.

Why would anyone want a Brazilian '94 unless they wanted every Mauser ever made (hopeless even for Gates)?

The answer lies in Mario Vargas LLosa's La Guerra del Fin del Mundo." I don't know the translation title (maybe World's End War?, and of course he's Peruvian), but the book deals with a messianic insurrection in Northern Brazil in 1897, and these were the rifles used, finally, to suppress it.

Why did I think anyone would be interested in this obscure corner of history?

AntiqueDr
    (3/31/01 6:41:16 pm)
    Roughly, The War of the End of the World, I believe.

I will not scoff at any attempt to own all the Mausers. I am several thousand dollars into attempting to own all the Winchesters...
    Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (3/31/01 8:45:41 pm)
    Your translation is correct, Doc.

And Obelix, you've scored again. There is no such thing as "obscure history," only "undiscovered."

I too am fascinated with stuff like this, and I knew nothing of this fight. (AND my area study was Modern Latin America! Don't tell anyone, I may lose the degree! )

That purchase just appreciated in value with your knowledge. GOOD STUFF! Thanks again...