Lugar question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 69ford, Dec 28, 2010.

1. 69ford

69ford New Member

Fist of all I will first say I am sorry for my lack of knowing more about this interesting handgun. So please bare with me. An elderly friend of mine that has terminal cancer is giving away some items that are dear to him before he passes. He shocked me with a nice gift. I was hoping to get some info on it and maybe the value. This is a piece I will never sell and have been looking on line and there are many different opinions.

It is a Lugar 9mm with what I think are matching numbers. It has a holster with an extra mag. I would say it is in about 98% condition. The markings on it are P.08, and 51 all over it. It also says BYF. The odd thing is that on the upper it is stamped both 1851 on the side but the number 41 is on the top. This is all on the same piece of metal. If you have any input, please respond

Thank you.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

69ford, we have a number of contributors on this forum who are very knowledgeable on the subject of Lugers. While your information gives a head start on maker and date made we still still need clear pictures on the gun. In good condition with a period and correct holster and matching magazines, the value could run from a few hundred to several thousand. You should also contact your friend and see if he has any verbal or written history on the firearm. Sounds like a very interesting firearm and I would very much like to se pictures of it:) Plus need serial numbers , if you would like x out the last couple of numbers but make sure you have the correct number of digits
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

byf is the Nazi code for Mauser-Werke AG, so your gun was made by Mauser. You sure it says 41 on the top? 42 is also the Mauser code.
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The number 41 indicates the year this pistol was made by Mauser and issued to the German armed forces. You never mentioned if either or both of the magazines match the pistol. If all pistol parts match including the magazines, and the condition is truly 98%, and the holster is in excellent condition, the value could possibly reach $4000 or more. On the other hand, if you have misjudged the condition, or if the pistol has been refinished, or if one or more of the parts really don't match, the value could rapidly drop to as little as $1000 or so. We need good, sharp photos to give you a more accurate answer. These photos should include all markings on the pistol, the bottom of the magazines, and the back of the holster.
  6. 69ford

69ford New Member

I will get the info and pictures soon. Thank you so much.
  7. 69ford

69ford New Member

That is interesting. Yes, I am sure it says 41 on the top. Looking at it right now. I will have picture soon. Thank you
  8. 69ford

69ford New Member

Only one of the mags matches. The holster is in good repair but it is weathered. I will have photos soon. Also for the life of me, I cant find a serial number on the thing. I do think it is about 98 %. It has some holster ware but looks to be in great shape. Pictures are coming soon. Thank you.
  9. 69ford

69ford New Member

Ok, Every one laugh at me. How do I load stinking pictures.

The idiot
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The serial number is 1851, but there could be a suffix letter that is part of the serial number, like 1851a The full serial, including the suffix letter if any, is found on the front of the grip frame below the barrel. The 1851 and the numerous 51 markings indicate the pistol has all its original parts, as it came from the factory.

If you have digital pictures on your computer (probably in a file named "My Pictures") you click on "GO ADVANCED" below the reply window, type your reply, then click on "Manage Attachments". This brings up a BROWSE window that will allow you to find the pictures in your own computer, and upload them to the site.

Jim
  11. 69ford

69ford New Member

Attached Files:

12. 69ford

69ford New Member

More pics

Attached Files:

13. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Looks like an original finish BYF-41 Luger,made by Mauser during WWII, in about 96-97% condition if the grip straps are in the same condition as the rest of the gun. Pictures are dark and make it difficult to judge the condition with any sort of precision. The second mag is from an earlier gun. Can we see the pictures of the serial of the second mag?
    The holster was originally a police style holster which was then converted to the Army style holster.
    I would guess a mid range retail value of about $1750 for the whole rig.
  14. 69ford

69ford New Member

Thank you so much for the info. It is a special piece. Now it is resting in the safe for the night. I will get a photo of the mag in the morning.

Take care,

L
  15. Danny

Danny Member

:)You have a very nice byf 41 Mauser & the fxo mag is the correct mag issued with that pistol. Have you looked inside the holster for a small pouch? If so it should have a combo take down & mag loading tool.
    I have a rig just as yours and they are going for 2500-3000 dollars. Keep the bore clean & the complete weapon oiled. You have something to treasure for a long time.
    Regards
    Danny:)