Luger 9MM Identification Help Needed!!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Bethann64, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Bethann64

Bethann64 New Member

I have a Luger 9MM and I can make out the Serial # 4188 and see the other markings. But I cannot determine what year. I have seen others where the year is stamped on the top. On this pistol the DWM logo is there instead.
    The stock has markings : S.Me.VII I.54. S.P.S.T. 2.66. And The spst266
    is X'd through. Am I to understand they didn't start stamping year dates on them until 1910?
    Any info would help. I will try to get some clear pics to post as well. Thanks so much.
    Bethann64
  2. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Most likely a 1920's vintage Weimar police gun and probably has a sear safety....
    Pics?
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Luger military pistols, with few exceptions, were stamped with the year of manufacture on the receiver ring. Police and commercial guns were not. The markings on your gun seem to be police markings, c. 1922. "S. Me. VII I.54" would mean Schutzpolizei* Merseburg, Seventh District, Station 1, Pistol number 54. "S.P. S .T." probably indicates Schutzpolizei Potsdam, but the "S.T." I don't know. Maybe someone else can help. The 2.66 would mean the same as the "1.54" in the other marking.

Those numbers are not month-year dates, but pistol numbers.

*Schutzpolizei literally means "protection police", the ordinary city cops, not the state police or the secret police.

Jim