Luger Identification

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BillyM, Nov 9, 2012.

1. BillyM

BillyM New Member

A friend has a luger he wants to sell. I don't know anything about lugers so maybe someone out there can help me. It's stamped P.08. On left side by the safety is "gesichert". Also on left side are stamped the numbers "72" in three places. Serial number is 5372 and is in three places, one on left side behind barrel, one under barrel on the front of frame, and one on the bottom rear of barrel. On top front of frame is stamped "41". Further back on the frame is stamped "42". The magazine does not appear to be original. It is shiny and marked with an inverted triangle and the word "meggar". The pistol itself looks practically brand new and seems to function perfectly. The blueing is in excellent condition. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I hope this info will be enough to at least estimate when the pistol was manufactured and if it's at least WWII or before. Thanks very much!
    BillyM
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The magazine is modern and not original.

The pistol was made in 1941 by Mauser, whose code at that time was "42" (they were assigned several codes in the pre-WWII and wartime period). The pistol sounds like it is all matching and in nice condition, but pictures will be needed to verify that. Pictures will also allow a reasonable evaluation.

Jim
  3. BillyM

BillyM New Member

Jim
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I'll try and get some pictures. Pistol also comes with period holster that is in somewhat worn but in good condition. Holster has slot for extra mag (the mag that's in the holster might be original. It has a dull finish but I don't recall any markings.) Holster also has a "key" in another little, flap-covered slot, and also has a leather strap that pulls the gun up to remove it. Not sure what the key is for.
    Anyway, thanks again for your info. I'm sorely tempted. I could probably get the luger for around $1200. It seems worth it.
    BillyM
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I'd listen to Jim K if I were you. I know all about the "Sure is a nice pistol and I sure want it", but if you don't check for sure, you may be buying a $400 pistol for $1200. Could be a real gem, but for that money I'd make sure. Believe me, I've done that myself. Many times. Post some pictures, or really do some leg work yourself. It will be worth the effort. Good luck!
  5. BillyM

BillyM New Member

Jim
    Good advice. Thank you! Meanwhile, I talked to the folks at the gun library at Cabelas. I've bought a couple of guns from them before and have had no problems. Anyway, they said bring the luger in and they will evaluate it. I think my friend will let me borrow it for that purpose. He's just as curious as I am.
    BillyM
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The "skate key" is a dual purpose tool*. It is a screwdriver to remove the grip screws (the only screws in the gun) and it is used to aid in loading the magazine. In the latter use, the hole is put over the button on the magazine and the thumb pushes down on the half round part to pull the magazine button down as rounds are inserted with the other hand.

If you can post some good pictures here (please, no badly focused cell phone pics) you can compare our evaluations with Cabelas'.

Jim

*The term comes from a resemblance to the old key used to clamp roller skates onto ordinary shoes. Lately, I find that while most Luger collectors know the term in regard to the Luger tool, many of the younger ones have no idea what a skate key was.

JK
  7. etteroc27

etteroc27 New Member

I haven't seen too many $400 all matching lugers in nice shape, reblued or not, with holster and key.
  8. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I would have thought that a reasonable person would read what I said being to mean a junker/shooter vs a collector item. It would seem that BillyM was able to grasp the meaning of my response.

If you disagree, I'd be more than happy to sell you a 1918 DMW Luger with all matching numbers for a mere $1150. Of course it's been reblued (after having a chrome finish removed) and the interior of the barrel is a little frosty, but it does come with 4 non-original mags and a repo holster (in great shape) and key. Let me know and we'll find an FFL dealer to transfer it. Does this clear up my point a little?
  9. etteroc27

etteroc27 New Member