LUX 22 Hornet Rifle, single shot, can't find info

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by fuzebox40, Mar 28, 2011.

1. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Hello all, I've acquired this 22 Hornet rifle and I can't find any information on it. I've been all over the internet and all I've found is one for sale for around $500. Is this thing rare? I see alot of stuf on other types but no single shots in this caliber or make. Getting flustered, I can't believe I can't come up with anything on this gun. I'd like to learn its age and value and possibly where I can get a front sight for it (it's missing).
    Serial no. 287xx. Just in front of the receiver on the scope mount it says LUX and left of the mount it says Made In Germany. Along with a couple of proof marks it has a 69 stamped on the barrel. It's in good shape except for some nasty scratches on the barrel. In the pic the scratches are next to the cartridge, about the same length (hard to see). Is there another firearm that sights will interchange with, it doesn't look like I'm gonna find one listed for this. Thanks for your time folks.

Attached Files:

2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

LUX is the model series for BRNO (now known as CZ). Look up BRNO ZK-05. Thats the only single shot bolt action I'm aware of. Worth about 500 in primo condition. Yours is worth about 300.
  3. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Thank you sir, I'll look that up right now. Also anyone please with thoughts on refinishing of the barrel, like is this item worth the expence to have it done (I haven't had great success bluing large pieces myself), and how will it effect the vallue of this piece, or any other comments & recommendations. If that one spot wasn't so hard scratched I wouldn't be thinking about it. Thanks again.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  4. Bill Pistol

Bill Pistol New Member

Gorgeous wood, clean lines, nice looking rifle.
  5. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Thanks Bill, that was the first thing that caught my eye. Still not finding any usefull info on the websearch, still tryin though.
  6. james649

james649 New Member

You can always have a front sight machined...I don't think it would be terribly expensive (probably the flat rate minimum)...and you can have it made the way you want.
  7. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I used to have a Savage, breech loading, single shot .22 hornet with interchangable barrels with a 12 ga. shotgun. And I had a Savage over-under with a .22 hornet on top and .410 below.
  8. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

If it is a BRNO it was probably made in the Czech Republic. The folks on the CZ/BRNO section on Rimfire Central will be able to tell you. Yes there are parts available.
  9. bamajoey

Try googling "Herters plinker rifle". I think this is what you want.:)
  10. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

bamajoey: first of all thanks, now just an update, folks at Rimfire Central are confirming it's likely not BRNO as it's made in Germany. I also read at the shooters forum where someone stated the ones imported by Herters were marked "plinker". The BRANDX had one up for sale that looks very simular and he's calling it "Herters Plinker" but not indicating what markings it has. Mine just says LUX and Made In Germany.
    Anyway I'm still looking for answers and a front sight that will fit. The dovetail is just under 3/8". Does anyone know if this is a standard size that I can buy in an aftermarket brand. I know there are 3/8" dovetails but this being made in Germany...? I'll continue using the scope but I can't live with a missing part in my face.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  11. bamajoey

Glad I could help, keep checking both forums til you get all the info you can.:D
  12. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

13. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

hrf: Thanks, I just finished reading that article. Very informative and that definitely is the gun. I do plan on shooting a few rounds through it but I'll give it a closer looking at first. I picked up a dozen reloads last week just to try it out because I'm not sure if it's a keeper yet. I'm leaning toward resale as I've got my eye on another hand gun.