lwr .499

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by PharmerTim, Jan 18, 2010.

1. PharmerTim

PharmerTim New Member

I need ANYTHING at all that I can make .499 rounds from or rounds period ! ! ! PLEASE ! DESPERATE !
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im not sure what youre asking... Are you needing .499 round balls for muzzleloaders?
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

JLA, The .499 LWR (Leiter-Wise Rifle) is a real oddball. One of the rebated-rim straight-wall cases that try to make a big-bore out of a standard AR-platform.

I don't know of any brass that could be used to make cases from.
    I can't find any specs on the LWR case OAL other than a reference that it's the same length as the .223 (which should be 1.75" or 1.760" max). I think .50 Beowulf brass is the closest, but with 1.650" max and a different case head dimension it's not a substitute.

I suspect that you'll have to keep digging for factory ammo. Or retire your upper and replace it with a more common caliber?
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

shoooot, i never even heeered of it before, and im in the trade:eek:

heck if you needed a big bore for an AR why wouldnt you just get a .50 Beowulf or a .450 bushmaster or a .458 socom. Something thats readily available and easily adaptable???
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  5. PharmerTim

PharmerTim New Member

Well, basically I was tricked into purchasing it ! Before I purchased it year before last, I had called SS ARMORY and asked about ammo and they said no problem, in a month or so they would be making it again. So I purchased the gun for 1000 even .... and its been just over a year and a half and they still arent making ANY AMMO WHATSOEVER ! Not even something that I could use to reload with ! ! !

I called them once a month for a year straight and just gave up. I finally got the guy before me to admit they were giving him the same story, and that was why he sold me the gun ! ! ! ! ! :+( SUX !
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  6. PharmerTim

PharmerTim New Member

The Beowulf round fit in the chamber, but my reciever does not grip it to eject it . and the round was such a tight fit that I almost couldnt get it out. That round is shorter than the LWR round, but probably would fire in the chamber ( im not going to try it though at .001 difference in clearance ).

The ballistics I am told are slightly better then the beowulf as far as same knock down force with better traveling characteristics.... but YUP, turns out they are impossible to find !

I wanted to try bear hunting with it in GA this last september, but didnt have any ammo, so I used a 50 cal pistol instead.

Why do you say it "tries to make a big bore " out of an AR platform, do the LWR AR-15's not work worth a darn either ( I have never shot it ) ?

7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I agree with not firing .50 Beowulf in that upper. Besides being too large at the base (the Beowulf is slightly tapered) and the case head dimension differences...being a straight-wall design, you need the correct case length to set your headspacing.

The reason I said "try" is because there have been lots of different proprietary cartridges to get that job done. BUT...how many of em are successful and how many of them are impossible to find ammo for (like your .499 LWR).
    Until it's a proven thing and ammo is readily available I tend to shy away from new rounds (especially really proprietary stuff like these). No one really knows which "big-bore" AR cartridges are gonna come out on top yet and which ones are/were just a flash in the pan. I suspect that .50 Beowulf will wind up being the .50 winner but who knows...all of em might turn into dinosaurs.

Hmmm...I'm not sure if this could be done. Not that familiar with how the barrel is fitted to the upper on the AR platform.
    Might be possible to have the barrel set back enough to rechamber it for .50 Beowulf.
    That might be worth checking with a smith that's more familiar with ARs.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Buy a .458 socom upper and just cut your losses on half the gun. keep the upper you cant find ammo for stashed away until it gains enough popularity that they will either start making ammo for it or you will find someone who wants it. It looks to use a standard .223 lower just like the .458, the .458 even uses standard .223 mags. I have been researching a little about this odd curiosity and it does seem about as rare as a scramjet cartridge... good luck with your rifle;)
  9. PharmerTim

PharmerTim New Member

Thank you guys very much for your replys! ! Do you have a link for the Socom upper ?

Thanks again ! ! ! !

10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have been researching the LW-15 system for the past few days. seems its inception began in 1996. I cant believe I have not even heard of it until now. I have a few links for you, and I will include a link some complete .458 uppers.

unfired .499 brass for sale here...http://www.*********.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=148628479

frangible ammo here...http://www.ammo-one.com/499LWR.html

A post reply I found on ********* by someone who claims to be part of ammo development for the LWR system. The reply was to a request for loading data for the round...
    ("YES SIR !!

i done an extensive load test for the company a few years ago, due to our agreement i can not post all the results, but i can give you my favorite load which is a Rainier 335 Gr. HP bullet, #34 CCI primer, that is the Military designation, not really needed, but that is my preference, 50 Gr. Ramshot TAC powder, accuracy at 100 yd. for my piston LWRC Carbine has been phenomenal.., in my OPINION would you believe 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" groups, at 200 yd. they spread out to 6" groups still very good for a man sized target.

as for reloading this round it is NOT as straight forward as loading other straight wall cases, this cartridge requires a totally different procedure, which i will explain later as i am out of time for today.

thank you for asking")

Complete upper for .50 beowulf...http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=316928

complete upper in .450 bushmaster carbine length...http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=897816

complete upper in .450 bushmaster rifle length...http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=885425

link to rock river arms, they will have everything .458 socom you could want...http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=251

I searched and searched and couldnt find any dies for the .499, looks like your best bet is going to be getting something alot more popular like the .458 socom or the .450 bushmaster. both are readily available in all categories;) and both will ride on a standard AR-15 lower unit without any kind of modification...

Good luck.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

dammit, I forgot brandx doesnt parse in links on here. thats what all the ********* are, just sub it in the link without the dots;)... sorry
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I almost forgot... As you can tell by the links i found, it seems the .499 is more of a pain in the arse than its worth. The ONLY ammo I could dig up is frangibles that the website sells one round at a time to collectors for 5 bucks a round. and I could only find one link to unfired brass on the entire internet. looks like the LWR system is doomed to become just another odd curiosity... its a shame too because it looks to show alot of promise as a short range big game hunting cartridge. oh well
  13. RandyP

RandyP Member

14. PharmerTim

PharmerTim New Member

Man, that thing looks like you have to chamber each and every bullet by hand. ?
  15. PharmerTim

PharmerTim New Member

Look what I found ! ! !

http://www.sr-25.com/New Arrivals.htm

If I can get those dies with that BrandX brass on the way... I might actually get to shoot this thing one day !

But now how do I get bullets ?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010